The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

And Holyfield :lol:

At Wednesday's final press conference for Evander Holyfield's fight with Francois Botha, BoxingScene.com spoke with the three-time heavyweight champion to get his thoughts on David Haye's recent defense of the WBA heavyweight title against John Ruiz, who Holfyield fought three times.

"Ruiz didn't hold. He fought which made it more exciting but he still lost," Holyfield told BoxingScene.com.

Holyfield would later tell BoxingScene that he wants a crack at Haye's title, and wishes he was fighting Haye this weekend at The Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas

"He has a belt. I want the belts. I wish I could fight him right now," Holyfield said.

10 more pages...

Junior featherweight Guillermo Rigondeaux, a two-time Cuban Olympic gold medalist who defected last year and is one of boxing's top prospects, injured his back and withdrew Wednesday from his fight on Saturday night.

Rigondeaux (5-0, 4 KOs) was scheduled to face experienced Reynaldo Lopez (30-7-3, 21 KOs) of Colombia at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla., on the undercard of the Andre Berto-Carlos Quintana welterweight title bout. HBO, which is televising, was slated to air highlights of Rigondeaux's bout, which is unusual for a fighter with so little pro experience.

However, Rigondeaux, citing a sore back after some rough sparring with a welterweight, pulled out, show promoter Lou DiBella told ESPN.com.

"He said he hurt his back. What can I tell you? He pulled out," DiBella said.

However, Rigondeaux (5-0, 4 KOs) is also changing trainers, which may be part of the reason for his withdrawal, although his promoter, Luis DeCubas, said the injury was legitimate.

There was a lot of hype surrounding Rigondeaux's pairing with trainer Freddie Roach last summer. After working out with Rigondeaux for the first time, Roach compared the feeling he got working with him to the way he felt when he first worked out with Manny Pacquiao, who went on to become the pound-for-pound king. But now Rigondeaux and Roach have split, DeCubas told ESPN.com.

"His feeling is he's a two-time gold medal winner and he went all the way out there and felt there were too many fighters in the gym," DeCubas said of Roach's Wild Card gym in Hollywood, Calif. "Nobody was picking him up in the morning to run and he felt he should have been sparring with lighter guys, not 150-pounders. He wasn't getting enough attention from Freddie. He's very disappointed."

Roach, however, was unhappy with Rigondeaux's conditioning and didn't want him to fight Saturday, according to a source close to the trainer.

DeCubas said Rigondeaux is back in Miami, where he is based, looking for a trainer.

Great move by Rigondeaux. The video of him with Unca' Roger aroused some suspicion yesterday. Hopefully he'll go with him

Wow, what a finish to Sprott - Harrison! Fraudley was looking terrible again, behind on all cards going into the twelfth. Sprott hurts Harrison in the first few seconds of the final round but fails to capitalise, thirty seconds later a huge left hand from Audley and Sprott is out cold before he hits the mat. The referee didnt even bother counting to ten.

Forget about Haye, Audley is the man to save heavyweight boxing! ;)
:crylaugh:

He was awful though, all the heart and effort was Sprott, then Audinary nicks it at the end.

If Audinary did **** his shoulder then fair play.

On Haye v Aurdinary, well i think Haye would kill him, and i mean really kill him, he would be no more.

Well I think he must have done his shoulder as there was times he had no reason not to hit with his right hand and just wasn't throwing it.

He took some decent shot's as well so fair play to him .

I seen that punch commin last week thats how long it took to connect ....Audleys a chump

It was a counter punch. Doesn't matter whether you can see it coming or not, by its very nature its going to hit you.

Andre Berto 25(19)-0 vs Carlos Quintana 27(21)-2(2)

Tomorrow night (Sunday morning) on SS1. Coverage starts at 2:30am.

Odds:

Berto 5/1

Quintana 7/2

Draw 33/1

Quintana worth a flutter at 7/2?

No.

And Berto odds fail.

dm2v6q.gif

That punch was tits

Nonsense mate, that was a cracking shot....I can't stand Harrison but that was a great punch. He fought for several rounds with a damaged shoulder too apparently.....thus showing more heart than certain other HW's could mention :P

Â