The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Barry Mcguigan wrote an article a while back saying Valero should quit boxing before he got himself killed as well.

I remember reading that. After all of the '**** the commissions, let him fight' from fans it looks like they may have been right

Top Rank head honcho Bob Arum said the suicide by hanging in a Venezuelan jail cell was "{the first sensible thing" that undefeated world lightweight champion boxer Edwin "El Inca" Valero had done lately.

Arum, 78 and obviously worldly wise through a career first as a United States attorney and then four decades as one of boxing's leading fightmakers, was not being insensitive in his remarks to me Monday, he was just being realistic.

"There's no need, no reason to play the blame game here. There were a lot of people, including his boxing manager (Jose Castillo) and Venezuelan leader Hugo Chavez, who tried to help this troubled guy out. I'm sure that Chavez and the government will help those two children (ages five and seven) who are left behind and now with a murdered mother and a father who killed her and then took his own life.

"I was shocked, really shocked, when he murdered the wife but I was not shocked to hear this morning that he killed himself.

Pacland - A sensational brawl that will never happen, Manny Pacquiao vs. Edwin Valero

"I really figured it would end this way, starting from when he came down (from drugs and/or alchohol) and he realized what he had done to the wife.

"So am I shocked that then killed himself, no I am not, because I believed he then realized he could either kill himself or spend the rest of his life in a prison cell," Arum said.

Arum, who took on Valero for just two bouts under the Top Rank banner, said that Japanese promoter Akihiko Honda had warned company president and Arum stepson, Todd duBoef, that Valero had serious issues while living in Tokyo.

"Todd was told by Honda that Valero had some real problems, drugs and alcohol problems, real substance abuse problems. The manager is a nice guy, a feeling guy, and he tried to do everything he could do for this kid.

"What can you say now but rest in peace? Valero's smartest move, the only move he had left, was to take his own life. It is a tragic thing anyway you want to look at it," Arum said. "He wanted to avoid spending the rest of his life in jail and this way his only way to avoid it.

Arum said Valero's gaudy 27-0, all by KO, record and his boxing potential is all "immaterial' now but he did pause to reflect on what might have been in the ring had Valero's personal demons away from the ring not ended his wife's life and then his own.

It was clear that Arum fully intended to match southpaw slugger Valero against lefthanded puncher and Top Rank's chief client, Manny Pacquiao.

"I would have had him fight two more times, moving up to 140 pounds," Arum said. "He and Manny would have been a great fight, two so energetic and charismatic punchers colliding.

"I just think that this fight would have been a tremendous fight but now it does not matter.

So be it, rest in peace."

Comment removed - Bicks

What did you expect Arum to do?

Valero was an alcoholic, druggie, nutcase - good riddance.

Tried to help him rather than keep him fighting/trying to get him in their with Pacquiao or Bradley. Convenient that he only comes out and mentions his personal problems when Valero can't make him any money

It's not up to him to help him.

It's up to Valero to help himself or for his wife/family/friends/manager to help him.

It's a shame the Valero - Pacquiao fight won't come to fruition now, would have been great to see Pac smash him about.

It's up to Valero to help himself or for his wife/family/friends/manager to help him.

It's a shame the Valero - Pacquiao fight won't come to fruition now, would have been great to see Pac smash him about.

But it's ok for Arum to use him as a fighter despite knowing about his issues?

And generally, psychopaths can't help themselves, that's part of the problem (although rehab was scheduled)

And generally, psychopaths can't help themselves, that's part of the problem (although rehab was scheduled)

Lots of fighters have issues. I don't think anybody expected him to stab his wife and then kill himself to be honest.

He was a medically diagnosed psychopath?

Lots of fighters have issues. I don't think anybody expected him to stab his wife and then kill himself to be honest.

He was a medically diagnosed psychopath?

Sadly I saw a fair amount of people predict that something like this would happen. Especially after the last incident. Whether it would have been via stabbing or not, that I'm not too sure of

I expect the bit in bold to be the case if they do a proper autopsy. I'm expecting pretty similar results to the Chris Benoit case in terms of his brain scan. Hundreds of sparring rounds, 27 fights, the bike crash, booze, drugs all contributing towards it. If any good can come of this then hopefully it leads to better brain scanning/screening in the future to avoid anything like this.

If you tweet on twitter and you send out an impossibly, insensitive and moronic message, does this make you a twerp or just a run of the mill idiot?

I ask this question, my tweeps, in light of WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto's thoughtless Twitter blast on the murder-suicide of Jennifer and Edwin Valero.

Is this the same guy who was so personally affected, understandably so, by the terrible earthquake in Haiti that he pulled out of a January bout against Sugar Shane Mosley?

Berto has just gone from goodwill to ill will by his own hand.

The source here is Ryan Bates on 411.mania.com:

"This is why some athletes should be denied Twitter -- because they don't use their brain-to-mouth filter for their fingers."

@AndreBerto -- 9:51am 4/19/10

R.I.P to Edwin Valero after killing his wife yesturday he just killed himself in jail today. WOW women are a Motherf***er boy RIP E.V.

Philboxing.com Photo - Manny Pacquiao poses with 'social media twerp' Andre Berto

The "women are a Motherf***er" statement, implying that Edwin Valero's wife, Jennifer Viera, should somehow be to blame or be considered the motivator for Valero's heinous actions, has the Twitterverse rapidly turning against the man that only a few months ago was considered a saint for going to Haiti to help the earthquake victims.

UPDATE: Berto has responded with the following --

@AndreBerto -- 10:19am 4/19/10

YO YO relax people relax I don't know what happened with Edwin Valero and his wife I just feel its a sad day he was a great fighter

@AndreBerto -- 10:19am 4/19/10

Its terrible he killed his wife and killed himself the situation was prolly a lot deeper behind closed doors but R.I.P. Edwin Valero

This writer fails to see how even a situation that was "a lot deeper" could justify a message like the one he sent.

The editorial comments are from reporter Bates, who is based in Las Vegas.

He may be a boxing champion but, in this case, Berto comes off like a Neanderthal chump.

Bad, Berto, bad!

Dumb, Berto, dumb!

I am sure his mother, his sisters if he has any and all his female relatives can really dig this obscene statement, right?

Meanwhile, they better rev up the public apology machine at the offices of Al Haymon and Lou DiBella, Berto's handlers.

Can we revoke this jerk's social networking license?

I'm not even sure we should let this yo-yo operate heavy machinery.

On a brighter note... I thought the Pavlik vs Martinez fight was rather entertaining.

I gave Pavlik the 4th but there was no doubt Martinez won in the end for me, a nice bit of showboating by Martinez as well :P

Kelly's cut man = Epic failure. Where the **** was the Vaseline?

Double the **** jab!!

Â