The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Good win for AJ, best performance for a while.

He'll fight Hrgovic for the IBF in late spring/ early summer.

Shame that the heavyweight fights we should have had over the past 5/6 years have never happened and won't now.

Needs to be a lesson to fighters to not wait around for the payday's and actually get into the ring. Even the likes of Andy Ruiz, who some might argue is a level below, has had 2 fights since losing the rematch to AJ four years ago ffs.

Glad Dubois beat that fat lard ass drug cheat Miller. He had it coming tbh. 

Parker good win but just exposed Wilder like Fury did when pushed to fight on the back foot. Wilder showed he hasn't learnt a thing in all his years fighting other than to throw that right hand. Not that well these days either.

Bivol... Love to watch him. Not the most exiting of fighters because he doesn't have destructive power, but very much in the Cotto mould in that he's precise and wastes very little. He's technically so good. 

AJ, first time in a long time he looked serious and behaved like he meant business. Whether it's because he's done rounds with Wallin previously so knew he'd smoke him easy. Either way a good showing.

As for atmosphere, absolutely non existent and quite shocking tbh. Been better letting people in for free than leave the stands half empty. Piss poor.

• Like 2

AJ trying to shill a fight with Wilder after his win was a bit desperate. Wilder is 38 already, if he has any sense he’ll walk away.

AJ looked good, it remains to be seen if it was down to an opponent who just wasn’t at it. AJ v Fury is the only fight people are interested in at this point for him.

I don't think it was a mismatch, he gave  Fury a good fight. AJ just looked back to his aggressive style, tough, fit, punches hurt, I was more impressed than I have been in previous fights, good on him!

Makes you think, Fury's 2 toughest opponents destroyed tonight.

As for Bivol, he is a proper fighter.

Edited by foreveryoung

Wilder looked absolutely starched. Couldn't even say he gassed, he just didn't even throw a punch, which when it's all you have you need to throw it. It sounds like he was worried about his timing being so abysmally off that he was more worried about being countered. Parker hit him with some big shots as well. 

There's a super interesting tier below the 'elite' fighters of say Fury, AJ and Usyk of Parker, Dubois, Zhang, Ruiz, Wilder (maybe done), I guess you could chuck Hrgovic, Joyce and Big Pharma Miller in there too. Remains to be seen as well how much Fury has left as well with his Hatton style lifestyle catching up with him.

15 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Wilder looked absolutely starched. Couldn't even say he gassed, he just didn't even throw a punch, which when it's all you have you need to throw it. It sounds like he was worried about his timing being so abysmally off that he was more worried about being countered. Parker hit him with some big shots as well. 

There's a super interesting tier below the 'elite' fighters of say Fury, AJ and Usyk of Parker, Dubois, Zhang, Ruiz, Wilder (maybe done), I guess you could chuck Hrgovic, Joyce and Big Pharma Miller in there too. Remains to be seen as well how much Fury has left as well with his Hatton style lifestyle catching up with him.

Ring rust with Wilder, although at 38 I doubt he's gonna get that back.

As for Fury, he is due that loss, an looking at AJ last night (looked back on it), it's either gonna be him who beats him, or maybe Usyk.

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Mcgregor was smashed out of his head, check out the ring side interview. 😂

He’s starting to morph into Rigsby  from rising damp

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I don't think it was a mismatch, he gave  Fury a good fight. AJ just looked back to his aggressive style, tough, fit, punches hurt, I was more impressed than I have been in previous fights, good on him!

Makes you think, Fury's 2 toughest opponents destroyed tonight.

As for Bivol, he is a proper fighter.

Got to see Bivol Beterbiev next year, proper unification 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Got to see Bivol Beterbiev next year, proper unification 

Let's hope so, because that would be on hell of a fight. Eddie Hearn saying Calum Smith will knock Berterbiev out, I mean, that has to be up there with one of the misguided quotes of the year. If Smith got bullied by Ginger cheat, then just imagine what Berterbiev will do to him. It's as bad a mismatch as the Bivol fight last night.

Nothing really caught my attention with the Saudi fights. Joshua beating someone he was supposed to beat, Wilder, proving, once and for all, that he has zero boxing ability. How did he ever win an Olympic medal? Everyone is forgetting, after the Fury and Usyk fight, it's going to be Jared Anderson time. He's the new modern heavyweight who is very similar to Mike Tyson in his prime, remember Folly, when he was on his way to being the youngest heavyweight to win the World title, that ferocity and speed, it was a thing of beauty? I really think Jared Anderson will be World champion within the next year.

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Inoue fighting now on sky for second set of undisputed titles, perhaps the best P4P on the planet currently 

Thanks for that - because Sky just replay an Inoue fight every couple of days I'd seen that on my schedule and assumed it was a recorded fight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Scary isn't he? He's balanced, his footwork is fantastic, he's clever and he can put you away with a single blow or dismantle you over a few rounds - I wonder how far up the weight categories he'll be prepared to go in order to find a challenge.

Only so far he can go before his power becomes nullified, I’d say maybe one more step up, max two but he may be levelling out at SuperBantam.

Can see this guys taking his power already fairly well.

• Like 1

On 24/12/2023 at 20:07, sheepyvillian said:

Let's hope so, because that would be on hell of a fight. Eddie Hearn saying Calum Smith will knock Berterbiev out, I mean, that has to be up there with one of the misguided quotes of the year. If Smith got bullied by Ginger cheat, then just imagine what Berterbiev will do to him. It's as bad a mismatch as the Bivol fight last night.

Nothing really caught my attention with the Saudi fights. Joshua beating someone he was supposed to beat, Wilder, proving, once and for all, that he has zero boxing ability. How did he ever win an Olympic medal? Everyone is forgetting, after the Fury and Usyk fight, it's going to be Jared Anderson time. He's the new modern heavyweight who is very similar to Mike Tyson in his prime, remember Folly, when he was on his way to being the youngest heavyweight to win the World title, that ferocity and speed, it was a thing of beauty? I really think Jared Anderson will be World champion within the next year.

He has all the attributes and is a spiteful puncher, like Tyson it’s not just a single shots. It’s the combinations from all angles he comes at you with, loves a body shot

has there been any further news  with regard to him getting nicked last month with illegal firearms under the influence of drink or drugs whist driving? All seems to gone quite quiet and is a bit of a concern 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

He has all the attributes and is a spiteful puncher, like Tyson it’s not just a single shots. It’s the combinations from all angles he comes at you with, loves a body shot

has there been any further news  with regard to him getting nicked last month with illegal firearms under the influence of drink or drugs whist driving? All seems to gone quite quiet and is a bit of a concern 

That's the only thing that concerns me. By his own admission, he has no real love for the sport of boxing, which means he's easily distracted by other pursuits, and evidently, not just legal pursuits. 

• Like 1

Â