The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

You should check out the Briedis vs Glowacki fight, it's in my top 5 biggest disgraces that I've witnessed in all my years watching the sport. Briedis deserves a suspension/fine and Robert Byrd should never referee again.

What happened?

6 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Khan is been paid 7 million quid to fight a bloke ranked 230th in the welterweight division..Put a Pakistani v India angle on anything and seemingly it sells.

Guy needs to just retire. Get a final payday against brook then just go Khan. No one is interested in you anymore

• Like 1

Lobov and malignaggi are fighting tonight in that bare Knuckle fighting, I really am against bare Knuckle fighting , especially after seeing the state of lobov and last guy he fought after the fight , but curiosity will get me here and will probably check it out

The rules of that Bare Knuckle league are brutal. I subscribed to their YouTube channel a couple of months ago when Paulie became associated with them (they want to get McGregor in somehow, I'd be very surprised if they succeeded) and I've watched a few fights.  

This one is crazy. I'm guessing it's gone onto trending videos considering how many views it's had in 48 hours. 

On 22/06/2019 at 15:16, pete101 said:

Lobov and malignaggi are fighting tonight in that bare Knuckle fighting, I really am against bare Knuckle fighting , especially after seeing the state of lobov and last guy he fought after the fight , but curiosity will get me here and will probably check it out

Was a good fight. Very bloody. Was a good fight and paulie did better than I thought. I gave it to lobov just.

Thankfully it was not a ufc fight as paulie would of have got obliterated very quickly  

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Someone is going to die very quickly in that bare knuckle garbage. What a stupid, dangerous idea.

I actually believe the opposite (without any data to back it up of course)" because the fighters will break their hands when they punch as hard and often as boxers do. Loads more cuts but thas only superficial

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tegis said:

I actually believe the opposite (without any data to back it up of course)" because the fighters will break their hands when they punch as hard and often as boxers do. Loads more cuts but thas only superficial

True, I reckon one of those flying knees in UFC is more likely to kill someone.  I can't believe that's a legal move.  

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

True, I reckon one of those flying knees in UFC is more likely to kill someone.  I can't believe that's a legal move.  

Listen to most of the blokes competing in UFC, clearly not dealing from a full deck. I don't think it's much of a generalisation to assume if they weren't in competitive "sport" they'd be in trouble. It's on its knees anyway now the cash cow is gone. A fad "sport" that hopefully will be redundant in the not to distant future.

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's a move from muay thai. Isn't used very often and even less often successfully - I think in UFC history there's a handful of flying knee KOs. There's far more headkick and elbow KOs, and those are reasonably rare as well. Muay thai is one of the more useful disciplines in MMA as it provides a lot of striking options, of which the flying knee is one but the one you see the most rarely. Elbows are far more useful.

If you think UFC allowing knees is bad, Pride, the l Japanese MMA competition, allowed kicks to the head of a grounded opponent. You could literally take a penalty kick to a guys face.

UFC has a lower mortality rate than boxing IIRC, because you have shorter bouts with more options open to the fighter. You aren't punching a guy in the head for half an hour. It does have a  slightly higher rate of injury, but a sport that encourages a variety of types of striking and also submissions is inevitably going to open more opportunity for injury to occur. It also has a lot of rules and illegal moves - downward elbow strikes, small joint manipulation, kicks to the head of a downed opponent, fish hooking, groin or throat strikes etc etc, all aren't allowed.

Bare knuckle boxing, as Tegis says, is generally considered safer than normal boxing. A fighter can't swing for the head consistently for a long time as reliably, because they'll **** up their hands. The BKFC tends to have fights that descend into 2 guys trying to KO their opponent as quick as possible, helped by the shorter rounds and shorter bouts. You get a load more cuts and superficial damage but that's about it. Whether it's a good spectator sport is a different story. I'm not sure I'd want to watch every fight descend into rock'em sock'em robots as 2 guys desperately try to get a KO before their hands break. It's good to see that occasionally in a fight but it's far less strategic or tactical than other combat sports.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Â