General Chat

Stevo985

When a note breaches the lines of the stave;

E G B D F - Every Good Boy Deserves Food

That's how I remember those

In between or touching the line

D F A C E G

Does fighting always cause everyone grief is my one for that.

When a note breaches the lines of the stave;

E G B D F - Every Good Boy Deserves Food

That's how I remember those

In between or touching the line

D F A C E G

Does fighting always cause everyone grief is my one for that.

Yeah, I remember learning all that. I can read sheet music in the sense that I can decipher it, and then laboriously work out, note by gruelling note, where it all goes on the guitar neck.

Key signatures drive me crazy, too, as I can never remember what scales have two sharps, or whatever - I end up with a pencil and paper muttering "Tone, tone, semitone...", etc.

Then I'd have to commit it to memory. It's a painfully slow process - I can't "sight read" at all. Can't understand how anybody can, to be honest.

Have you done any of the grades? You have to do a bit of sight-reading for that.

Sight-reading is natural for me, and mnemonics in general are brilliant like I learnt how to spell necessary through the use of a mnemonic.

As for time signatures and stuff, I find a famous piece in that YS like I struggled with 6/8 time until I used Greensleeves as the timing piece.

Lec guitar has grades as well I think! :lol:
Well it **** shouldn't! :lol: Formally trained electric guitarists usually play cerebral shite, in my experience.

I'm a play-by-ear roots music man. Keith Richards, Seasick Steve, that's the stuff. Ragged but right.

Actually, I'm not particularly opposed to rock musicians getting formal training, so long as they have the sense to know how to get the best out of it, and discard the irrelevant. What I don't really see the point of is formal qualifications. Would Beethoven have been a better composer if he'd had a degree in composition? No. And Hendrix didn't need a piece of paper to tell us he was pretty good on the guitar.

Beethoven wrote down all his symphonies though.

Classical composers are a million miles better than modern musicians, the amount of work going into writing a symphony, getting it almost perfect - its mindblowing really.

Beethoven wrote down all his symphonies though.

Classical composers are a million miles better than modern musicians, the amount of work going into writing a symphony, getting it almost perfect - its mindblowing really.

Well, they were certainly better at doing what they do - and I agree about the complexity of symphonic writing. How the hell they manage to "hear" all that stuff in their heads - especially the harmonic side of things - amazes me.

But just because something is musically simple doesn't mean it's inferior - or even easier to play. The "feel" involved in good rock/soul/jazz music would elude most classically trained musicians entirely. Listen to (say) a Stax/Volt rhythm section like Booker T's mob. There is an almost imperceptible element of playing slightly behind the beat, that is seriously hard to emulate. It's all about the groove.

I like both forms, a lot. Generally speaking though, I don't like attempts at rock/classical "crossover". The cultural mindsets involved are just too mutually exclusive for it to work properly.

And from Beethoven to...

A Real Life Superhero!

I like the end of it, "If you see someone emerging from the shadows wearing a mask, don't panic...."

I say definitely do panic. Don't keep walking gingerly along. Chances are it isn't a superhero and to suggest that one should imagine otherwise is dangerous practice.

Â