General Chat

Stevo985

I love all the calculus stuff, its really easy for me. Graphs and stuff, etc. I feel more at home with maths and the sciences than shit like PE or Art.

I'm a maths lover too. Even though I'm in accounting now and did accounting at uni, if I had to go back to uni I'd do maths.

I don't like exams with essays. I prefer when there's a right answer, and a wrong answer. Nothign better than maths for that.

I don't like exams with essays. I prefer when there's a right answer, and a wrong answer. Nothign better than maths for that.
This kind of sums up the "two types of learner" thing, doesn't it?

I need to think about this every now and then to teach me a bit of humility. Because I'm very quick to pick people up on grammar and spelling, but my inability at maths is shameful.

At school I could never understand how anyone could find essay type work difficult. There was nothing I liked better than being asked to analyse and discuss a poem - but I was utterly bewildered to realise that this brought some of my classmates out in the same cold sweat that maths did with me.

The funny thing is, I absolutely love reading about science - but it HAS to be that "popular science" type of writing that describes everything in English. I'm well aware that this is inadequate, and that the REAL explanations are best expressed mathematically, but as soon as I see an equation I'm ****.

Mind you, I note that theunderstudy combines mathematical and musical ability/enthusiasm - quite a frequent combination. There must be some neurological basis for it.

My family has a lot of accountants, and a lot of musicians, so they kind of combine the two, and I've inherited the same I think.

I'll agree with Stevo on exams - love it if its just a simple, black and white answer. Not an essay critically analysing the effective use of the iambic pentameter. I hate sutff like that.

I think it is. Logic and statistics is left-side IIRC.

Creativity and explanation is right-sided.

But it looks like musical ability is left-side, too, which I find interesting. You'd kind of expect it to be in with the creativity stuff, but apparently not.

EDIT: BTW I'd strongly recommend anyone who thinks they can't draw to read this:

5114QGDGH7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I personally think music is a bit of both. You have to be logical enough to understand the notes but creative enoughto play and keep to a rhythm. Its (excuse the pun) a bit of a grey area.

I personally think music is a bit of both. You have to be logical enough to understand the notes but creative enoughto play and keep to a rhythm. Its (excuse the pun) a bit of a grey area.
Perhaps that's why I can play the guitar (after a fashion) by ear, but never mastered reading music.

Perhaps that's why I can play the guitar (after a fashion) by ear, but never mastered reading music.

That would explain it. Do you use tabs to lay then?

I can do a bit of drawing, not very good, and I can write book type things, I can be creative.

Yes, I use tabs and chord diagrams. For improvising lead, I use scales, but I'm never aware of what actual notes I'm playing - I just think in terms of shapes and patterns at different positions on the neck, and throw in a few cliche blues licks and string bends here and there. Bluffing like ****, basically.

EDIT: For most folk/blues/country type songs I find I can work out chord sequences pretty quickly by ear, without needing the chords written down. And (to find a good key for my voice) I can transpose songs between keys fairly easily, too.

The nearest I can get to playing piano is working out chords and vamping as if it were a guitar.

Â