General Chat

Stevo985

On 20/12/2023 at 15:04, Wainy316 said:

I used to support Botham's team because as a kid I always liked men with moustaches 🤷‍♂️

Beaumont used to sport a pencil moustache as well in the early days 🤩

38 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

This kind of thing has been talked about before on here, but The Grimleys was first made in 1997 and set in 1975.

That's only 22 years difference, but the difference in the music, the fashion, the attitudes etc is huge. I remember watching it as a kid and felt like ancient history. 

I reckon if you showed a kid today a TV show that was set in 2001, I don't think they would notice too much, apart from maybe the phones and computers being a bit rubbish.

I sort of agree, the difference between the 90s and 70s is huge. Likewise between the 70s and the 50s. 

I think the difference is smaller in more recent times, but still noticeable. I saw a video of a drive through London in1999 (will add below in the spoiler) and it does look different to today. Cars are a big one but just fashion as well. Far less traffic as well!

i do find it fascinating.

Spoiler

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

This kind of thing has been talked about before on here, but The Grimleys was first made in 1997 and set in 1975.

That's only 22 years difference, but the difference in the music, the fashion, the attitudes etc is huge. I remember watching it as a kid and felt like ancient history. 

I reckon if you showed a kid today a TV show that was set in 2001, I don't think they would notice too much, apart from maybe the phones and computers being a bit rubbish.

Yep. 

I've always thought about fashion. 

Picture someone from 1954 in 1964. 1964 in 1974, 1974 in 1984, 1984 on 1994.  They would all stick out like a sore thumb and be obviously out of time. 

Put someone from 1994 in 2004, in 2014 or 2024 and you'd probably think their clothes were a bit baggy. 

If you saw eg Rachel from Friends walking down the street today you wouldn't bat an eyelid other than to go phwoar. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Xann said:

Roy Wood on GB News talking to traitor word removed Farage?

Roy's on the prick list.

Disappointed in him to be honest, post referendum he turned into a prick, my experience of him in the 90s was hugely positive. 

Had to laugh today. 

We still have a landline phone.  DEAL WITH IT.

We've now had to plug it in to the router and it's a bit awkward, I'd like to move it back to where it was on the other side of the house.  Thought I could solve it with a powerline adapter but it turns out the telephone port on the router is a slightly different size to Lan Ports so that's no good. 

Anyway, we had to go to Curry's today and I thought I'd check the phone section with little hope just in case they sold something that would help. 

Anyway, took ages to find any phones for sale at all but I eventually found a few in what I have now dubbed THE AISLE OF DEATH. 

They were sharing a half empty aisle in no man's land adjacent to camera accessories and satnavs😂 The formerly essential tech that no one wants anymore. 

Edited by sidcow

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Had to laugh today. 

We still have a landline phone.  DEAL WITH IT.

We've now had to plug it in to the router and it's a bit awkward, I'd like to move it back to where it was on the other side of the house.  Thought I could solve it with a powerline adapter but it turns out the telephone port on the router is a slightly different size to Lan Ports so that's no good. 

Anyway, we had to go to Curry's today and I thought I'd check the phone section with little hope just in case they sold something that would help. 

Anyway, took ages to find any phones for sale at all but I eventually found a few in what I have now dubbed THE AISLE OF DEATH. 

They were sharing a half empty aisle in no man's land adjacent to camera accessories and satnavs😂 The formerly essential tech that no one wants anymore. 

I know I joked about it the other day, but have you tried Amazon? Usually they are good for slightly rare adapters like this. Or eBay, but with them you don’t know when it’ll arrive.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I know I joked about it the other day, but have you tried Amazon? Usually they are good for slightly rare adapters like this. Or eBay, but with them you don’t know when it’ll arrive.

Yeah, I don't think it can be done.  I'll probably get a smaller phone to stick in the corner. 

Mind you I was quite attracted to a proper red old fashioned style dial phone with an actual circular dial. 

• Like 1

Victoria Beckham's company has posted its first profits ever - £200k. After amassing £66m of losses over the last 15 years. 

No wonder David Beckham has to sell his soul to Qatar!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Victoria Beckham's company has posted its first profits ever - £200k. After amassing £66m of losses over the last 15 years. 

No wonder David Beckham has to sell his soul to Qatar!

Sounds dodgy as hell, I reckon it’s clever accounting that’s stopped her paying any tax on profits.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Sounds dodgy as hell, I reckon it’s clever accounting that’s stopped her paying any tax on profits.

Or she just sells shit no one wants. 

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, I don't think it can be done.  I'll probably get a smaller phone to stick in the corner. 

Mind you I was quite attracted to a proper red old fashioned style dial phone with an actual circular dial. 

My lad likes retro stuff and we picked one up for a fiver at some “antiques “ fair in Woking a few months back  … he has it in his room and it actually works  , though if you flaff about when dialing  out it will kinda time out on you so you have to dial each number quickly 

• Like 1

Â