General Chat

Stevo985

I watched that Faith School Menance? show earlier, Mr Dawkins floating about being alarmed by it all. Then he came here (Belfast) and it shed a light on a pretty horrible reality of living here. You know I never spoke to, nevermind even came into contact with, someone from a protestant background until I was around 13? But that to us is basically normal, you rarely come into contact with 'the other side' until you grow up and live your own life. It can't be right, but this country is incredibly backwards and bigoted. Probably wont change for a very long time.

Point is, it's incredibly dangerous to promote faith schools as it only segregates society, which in turn undermines the years of struggle people went through to become equal to everyone in that very society.

/rant.

Interestingly enough, a fairly large percentage of students at Catholic schools in the USA aren't Catholic (because outside of the uber-expensive, generally Episcopal-affiliated or -backgrounded, elite private schools, the Catholic schools are the only game in town outside of the government-run schools).

Interestingly enough, a fairly large percentage of students at Catholic schools in the USA aren't Catholic (because outside of the uber-expensive, generally Episcopal-affiliated or -backgrounded, elite private schools, the Catholic schools are the only game in town outside of the government-run schools).

The same thing happens over here. Parents faking a Catholic background to get their kids into a better school.

A lot of catholic schools (and other faith schools) don't require you to be a member of that faith. or at least have a certain amount of pupils who aren't part of that faith.

I went to a catholic school and at the time I went everyone there was catholic. But I know recently they've had students who aren't.

The same thing happens over here. Parents faking a Catholic background to get their kids into a better school.

You don't even have to pretend you're Catholic though to go to a Catholic school in the States (partly because the schools are desperate enough for tuition money).

Well I think there would be anti discrimination laws against barring non Catholics from joining.

AFAIK, as long as the school doesn't take federal money, then they're exempt from laws concerning discrimination on religious/sectarian grounds.

Was bored last night and watched "This is It" on Sky anytime

not being a fan and not really caring about him that much I thought it was actually quite a decent program ..Bit sycophant at times but you could see him getting his shit together and he clearly cared about what he was doing .. I reckon they would have been pretty darn spectacular had they gone ahead

Well I think there would be anti discrimination laws against barring non Catholics from joining.

AFAIK, as long as the school doesn't take federal money, then they're exempt from laws concerning discrimination on religious/sectarian grounds.

I was thinking more about the UK. Not sure what the rule would be.

I was thinking more about the UK. Not sure what the rule would be.

Faith schools are allowed to make their own entry policies. There's zero regulation of it. It's one of the two areas Ofcom doesn't look at when inspecting faith schools, the other being their RE classes.

Â