General Chat

Stevo985

On my course you did 120 credits of modules a year. To get the degree you had to pass 100 out of those 120 credits (there are some modules which you HAVE to pass, called core modules, but excluding them you needed 100 out of 120 credits)

So 1 module would be worth, say, 20 credits, and if you passed it (i.e. even if you only got 40% it's still a pass) you got all 20 credits.

To get an Hons degree you had to pass all 120 credits.

I think this was the same for my degree. I don't actually know anyone who got less than 120 credits passed so no idea if they didn't get the hons though.

As for a degree in football studies... just... don't bother. If football studies is all you can think to do at uni, you probably shouldn't be going full stop imo.

I'm all for learning for the sake of learning and I don't buy the idea that your degree has to be with a job in mind, but theres a line to draw somewhere on whether something should be offered (let alone considered) and I reckon said line is considerably North of football studies.

]As for a degree in football studies... just... don't bother. If football studies is all you can think to do at uni, you probably shouldn't be going full stop imo.
]

It's not all I can think off, It's just the only thing in life I want to do. Just because it sounds like some micky mouse, learn about football course doesn't mean that's all it is. It's something I want to do because it will give me everything I need to get onto the right path into what I want to do. Maybe it sounds like a stupid course but then again in 20 years time I want to be a full time coach at a club, run a set of soccer schools. This course may not exactly be your cup of tea or anyone else's but it gives me the only skills I need for what I want to become. Even if it's a so called joke degree. Only live once may as well work towards something I want to do. Rather than sit at home, look for a normal 9-5 that I hate. Work for my coaching badges when I can, try and get into some part-time coaching with no previos experience, no contacts, not extensive knowledge to then build myself higher and higher. Fact i'd already be working would limit hours working as a coach.

I'd rather just go at it full blown than make some half hearted attempt that guarentee's a shitty 9-5 job rest of my life.

No, it's 3 years of your life wasted and about £15k. And the £15k bit is the rather pressing bit.

And it'll be absolutely useless, and possibly actively make it harder for you to get work, all for a complete joke of a degree. That is not going to get you into the world of football. If you want to coach, take your badges, whilst working in something else, and work your way through the system. Chances are even then you won't get anywhere, but a **** degree in football studies isn't going to be helpful and will be worth less than the paper it's printed on.

Seriously, just don't bother. You'll be landing yourself an arseload of debt pointlessly.

Although it's potentially a waste of time, it's not as bad as you make out. Okay, this might be some amazingly one off exceptions but for example one of the graduates in 2007 is currently first team performance analyst at Southampton, analyzing both performance of Southampton and opponents using things like pro zone and sports code.

To be honest, one of the main benefits though of the course are things like lecturers who are professional coaches at clubs, they have a lot of good links to clubs and people working in this industry and in a world that is very much who you know, that is vital. Another guy who took the course got a job at Fulham, is now touring South Africa doing coaches and part of an international skills programme in maylasia doing practical coaching sessions etc...so maybe it is a shite course but it's not completely pointless unless you actually believe that getting through the course then going home and looking for a job is what to do. I plan too move, email/phone surrounding clubs before I go, hope to get at least a small job around the clubs and plan to do my degree, gain the work experience, use the contacts you get from the course as well as the skills and build on it.

Financially, my mate is in Southampton on a course, he said would move in together, I take couch (sleep on couch anyway!) and just do halves which is about £1,500 per year, so although would still cost a lot, at least not as much. Plus I have a lot of money plus work from this year could cover accomodation for 2 out the 3 years!

I will become God.

Although you might be thinking that Chindie is being harsh, I think he's doing you a favour. The guys that get to work at Southampton and Fulham (etc) are the lucky ones. I suspect there are many hundreds of Football Studies students that struggle to get jobs in the industry.

My advice would be, if you do go, don't room with your mate. Live in halls and meet new people. I think it's an important part of your personal development at uni. Experiencing new things and meeting new people is what it is all about.

Anyway, life doesn't have to be about the 9-5 in a job you hate. You're young, go out and explore, live abroad, travel, do some coaching abroad, meet new people, have sex with lots of extremely attractive young woman, etc. The world is your oyster Mr Kryton.

At worst. It's 3 years of my life wasted. Like a lot of uni students! :)
:thumb:

If that is what you are interested in then I'd go for it. I've 'wasted' the last 5 years of my life at Uni but it is the best time I have had studying something I genuinely enjoy. If that is what you feel given your research around the subject is the best path for what you want to achieve then why not. One thing you might want to consider is a more general sports degree at a University held in high regard for sports.

Aye, as I said although defended it quite a lot. It's not chosen course yet, just something I've looked at. There are other just general sport degree's I'm looking into for that reason.

Thanks Pompey by the way, wise words and I will look to have as much intercourse with a breathing** person as I can.

** - Is not necessary.

Good thing is they can't cry afterwards or tell everyone how bad you were. I'd say the biggest downfall though is that you have to call them a taxi because they are unable to move or think. Then you have to put them in the taxi and probably sit with them and pretend they are asleep to stop the Taxi driver believing they are dead, but even then, they always look at you suspiciously when you ask them to stop at the local cemetery.

Joe, a mate of mine did Sports studie at Leeds Met. Not exactly football studies butnot far off. With his degree he got to do work for Leeds Rhinos and leeds Carnegie (then Tykes). He then did a year working as an analyst for the Welsh RFU and he's now 6 months into 2 years coaching football in NYC.

If football coaching is what you definitely want to do, then I'd say it's not a bad degree. Maybe sports in general might be more suiting, as it would give you a few more options in the future.

The only downside is if you don't succeed at coaching, it's not much to fall back on if you need to get a normal (for want of a better word) job.

As Pompey said, I may be being harsh but the advice is good - that degree will do you no good. It's completely mickey mouse, and will not help you into a career in football. Personally, I'd bin any ideas of working at any decent of the game full stop and look into other interests and work towards those, as getting into a level of the game that can support you is tantamount to attempting to get into a very small niche with lots of people who know it better an have greater presence than you already. And I daresay that most people working in any level of professional football don't have a **** degree in football studies.

The fact that you've said that is all thats taken your fancy so far probably suggests that uni isn't going to benefit you at all imo, and I'd really, really sit down and think if it's really going to benefit you at all to go.

If you really, really must endeavour for a career in the game, do a proper sports science degree, or even look at other options for higher education in things like physiotherapy, and pray you get lucky. If you've already had to turn down ideas of a sport science degree because you don't have the UCAS points and have turned to this because it's got less requirements - all I can say is theres a damn good reason for that...

A sports science degree will also open up more options for you in the (exceptionally likely) event you get nowhere in football. Even if you leave behind sports it'll be more respected than football studies.

You have to bear in mind that already degrees are becoming devalued, even good degrees from good unis are no guarentee of anything. And you'll be picking something from the bottom rung from a complete bottom end uni. Where you to, as is likely, end up in something completely alien to football, or even sports, that degree is worthless and it's a foolish choice.

If you are going to Uni you should only do a good degree, and good degrees (roughly) accept 300pts and higher. There really is no point going, getting in shag loads of debt, only to do a degree that will be looked down upon, or won't enhance your prospects, when you get into the job market. Even these good degrees lead to **** all in todays market.

Don't just go to Uni for the sake of going to Uni, if you aren't doing a worthwhile degree then there is no point. If you want to work in football then get your coaching badges and start from the bottom and get experience within the game. Otherwise you are best off spending your energy elsewhere.

Alternatively follow Dom's example and try to get a scholarship to a US college. Just look at Dom's coaching thread and the Rogues Gallery and you get the idea that it wasn't a terrible decision on his part. Major in Sports Management and/or Physical Education (Springfield College is one of the top PhysEd schools in the world... it started as a training school for YMCA instructors (and is where the sport of basketball was invented)) and you've got your bases pretty well covered: if you don't get a job in football (probably MLS to be fair), then you can fall back on being a gym teacher.

I've read/listened and I'll probably opt more sports coaching general sort of degree but football is still definately something I want to get into, even if it's a small chance, I'd rather go for that than think 'Well I didn't even try'...I know if things don't work out, I have things to fall back on (my Mom's business for starters which is pretty successful) so at least it's not a 'if I don't make it, i'm ****' sort of situation.

I want to coach in the U.S for example, I want to be able to experience things like that. I want to try and work my way up in the game, of course there high ambitions but if I don't aim for it, I'll never know, I mean just look at Karl Robinson!

I've plenty of time anyway to look through but it's something I got to do. Enough hard work, knowing the right people and I'll get somewhere, I believe that, I have too.

Â