General Chat

Stevo985

I had an interview yeaterday for a job I already do but will be for less money :?

I currently work as a contractor but want to move across to become a permanent member of staff.

It's the other perks that go with being permanant that make it worth while.

Exactly, things like pension, paid holidays, sick pay and most importantly security! Hopefully find out this week

Just had a look in the mirror and my pupils are in a constant state of fluctuating between dilated and not dilated. Very strange. They dilate and then immediately, they undilate again.

Just had a look in the mirror and my pupils are in a constant state of fluctuating between dilated and not dilated. Very strange. They dilate and then immediately, they undilate again.

This commonly means you have only 12 hours left to live.

This commonly means you have only 12 hours left to live.

I concur, Mr Duck.

Yes you!! We think we saw you by the entrance to the right lower Holte. We were going to come over and say hello, but you went in and we didn't fancy chasing lol. Was that your son wearing a Petrov away shirt?

Yeah, but we were in the Lower North

was having a chat with SDPH, OBE and b23avfc on the car park though

Saw you talking with 2 or 3 blokes, can barely remember what they look like though.

SDPH?

Decent chance of getting a hurricane this weekend

210810W_sm.gif

...or at least some tropical-storm force winds (39mph sustained)

210810.gif

Even though The Weather Channel jumped the shark years ago (some say it was when NBC bought them, but I'd say it was quite a few years before that; I haven't spent hours watching TWC in non-severe weather in years), I suspect I'll be spending some quality time this weekend with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHr-JxqotQU.

Haiti isnt an island. It's a country which takes up about a third of the large island Hispaniola. It shares a land border with the Dominican Republic, which occupies the other two thirds of the island. The Dominican Republic seem to be doing fine. Okay, they didnt get smashed by an earthquake earlier in the year but if you look at the recent history of the two countries (say the last fifty years or so) the contrast between the two is quite incredible. The Dominican Republic has marketed itself as a very popular tourist destination, Haiti for whatever reason, hasnt.

Today is Taiwan's version of a 'snow day'... Offices and schools have closed today due to a typhoon! There were 3 typhoons in the Taiwan area but seem to moving elsewhere which is good. One typhoon can be bad enough like it was last year, let alone 2 or 3!

Means I get to chill out today instead of teaching...

Haiti isnt an island. It's a country which takes up about a third of the large island Hispaniola. It shares a land border with the Dominican Republic, which occupies the other two thirds of the island. The Dominican Republic seem to be doing fine. Okay, they didnt get smashed by an earthquake earlier in the year but if you look at the recent history of the two countries (say the last fifty years or so) the contrast between the two is quite incredible. The Dominican Republic has marketed itself as a very popular tourist destination, Haiti for whatever reason, hasnt.

The contrast is startling. Don't get me wrong DR ain't rich but where the Haitians live even in the DR itself is appalling. They literally have a shanty town at the back of the capital. The guide told us that in comparison they are rich to their fellow countrymen living in Haiti. OK this was a few years ago when I went but I can only imagine it's only got worse.

It's appalling. The deforestation, the corruption & the devastating recent Earthquake have left Haiti ravaged. There was a TV doc last week about 6 months on from the Earthquake. The UN have only had £2Bn of the £10Bn pledged & they won't give it to Haitian government because their infrastructure has completely gone & corruption is rife. So the majority are still living in tents, & make shift tents amongst the rubble with no hope of a job to feed their families. It's an absolute disgrace!

FWIW Dominican Republic is one of the nicest holiday spots I've been to and one of the nicest climates...it's carribbean hot but there's a lovely breeze all the time. The only thing that drove me nuts was the merengue music & the taste of cinnamon in absolutely everything you eat. The non tourist parts are slums though.

In the past 5 weeks I've had a grand total of 4 beers. This is 2 beers at a pub and 2 cans at home (watching footy). This is down to the arrival of my now 3 week old son. My missus is going round to her mums tonight to have her hair cut by a family friend and she's arranged for me to go out for a few beers at the pub with the father in law. He's a top bloke and I'd normally jump at the opportunity, however, as I've not had a proper drink in ages and the fact I'll be up at least once in the night for a baby feed and finally I have to get up at 6 for work I really don't fancy it. Must be getting old!

In the past 5 weeks I've had a grand total of 4 beers. This is 2 beers at a pub and 2 cans at home (watching footy). This is down to the arrival of my now 3 week old son. My missus is going round to her mums tonight to have her hair cut by a family friend and she's arranged for me to go out for a few beers at the pub with the father in law. He's a top bloke and I'd normally jump at the opportunity, however, as I've not had a proper drink in ages and the fact I'll be up at least once in the night for a baby feed and finally I have to get up at 6 for work I really don't fancy it. Must be getting old!

yeah thats how i feel now, my lads 8 months. Every time i get an offer of a night out im always thinking id rather have an early night and catch up on some sleep and i dont really want to put up with a hangover and an unforgiving son the next day. We tend to have friends over a lot more now, usually involves food and a few drinks but makes you feel like you still have a social life and you dont spend the next day shattered. That said i got smashed on sunday night

Haha. I haven't drunk anywhere near as much as I used to since being a Dad. I can do without the hangovers.

Â