General Chat

Stevo985

I'm still using the apple app that was discontinued , can't get on with tappatalk

I've asked nicely several times that no-one does this. Thanks for your co-operation.
I was unaware of this fact until about 5 seconds ago so your sarcasm is un-warranted , i'd hardly be openly quoting you in a post had I known it to be the case

There are some threads that I don't visit presumably this request is in one of them, I will of course stop using the app since you've asked nicely :)

No sarcasm is present. Minor annoyance maybe. I asked multiple times in multiple places, including:
  • the forum where I announced the existence of the app (and asked people who installed it to follow for updates)
  • the same place I announced Tapatalk
  • by direct message to all app users via the app itself (multiple times)
Perhaps you overlooked all of these. Perhaps you thought you were getting away with something. I don't really care.

You probably missed my edit in my previous post but for the record I'm 45 not 9 so I've not been sitting here smirking to myself for the past year that I've got one over on limpid ... despite the evidence my posting history suggests , I'm a busy man juggling lots of things and under lots of pressure , as a result sometimes my head is all over the place and sometimes I don't get to visit threads and sometimes I find myself replying to a post that's months old where the discussion has moved on ... I can appreciate your annoyance but it's not deliberate

My previous edit is added below again just to highlight my stupidity....

Edit - well don't I feel stupid , I'm actually using safari on my phone and the mobile skin and not the app which now I think about it stopped working yonks ago and I removed ( seem to recall all the topics disappeared and it was just blank )

• Like 1

None that use whatsapp!? Really? It must be an age thing then. Facebook has gone from mainly being used by young Harvard students to older people who want to keep in touch with people of similar age and/or see photos of grandkids.

I installed it and loads of names came up , probably leeched by the app from Facebook ironically and I wrote a hello message and bet nobody reads this type message ... I think Ali was the only person that replied

Now it could just be that I'm deeply unpopular (sob) but I took it more that everyone heard about it , installed it and then though now what do I do with it and then went back to Facebook

I have only recently discovered skype - i.e. this week. I'm speaking to someone in sweden and I see her face at the same time. I am living in the future. Amazing,

Facebook isn't too bad, though I am wary of the random apps and ads that come by, I know I can block them but I suppose if i was that irritated I'd just change it.

I hate Skype, I don't like the fact someone can see me whilst I'm talking to them, I have a piano lesson once every two weeks via Skype and it's quite useful for that.

None that use whatsapp!? Really? It must be an age thing then. Facebook has gone from mainly being used by young Harvard students to older people who want to keep in touch with people of similar age and/or see photos of grandkids.

Yes, this is probably true. So what? The 'best' platform is the one that is your contacts use. The vast majority of my friends and family (various generations) use FB, and use it effectively and irritant free. It's not perfect, but I can't see us all mass-switching to anything else without a very good reason.

Facebook has gone from mainly being used by young Harvard students to older people who want to keep in touch with people of similar age and/or see photos of grandkids.

Whilst I'm sure older people do use it for that reason (and it's a perfectly valid reason, and one of the main reasons I use it despite not falling into that demographic), if you think that is who "mainly" uses facebook then you couldn't be much further from the truth

Edited by Stevo985

As for contacting people directly, that's a completely different medium.

Again, I have cousins who live in the states and Australia. Some of them I'm close to, some of them I'm not that close to. I could hold a conversation with them but I don't see them that often (for obvious reasons)

I would never ever ever phone those people. if it wasn't for facebook I'd never speak or see them unless they happen to visit the UK or Ireland, but even then I doubt I'd be high on the agenda (I have a huge family)

But I like to see how those guys are getting on, so I see their facebook updates and photos. I'd never phone or skype or even whatsapp them. but it's nice to see what they're upto.

That's the kind of thing facebook is perfect for

• Like 2

If I'm not interested in talking directly to you, or sending you a message to see how you are getting on, it generally means I'm not interested in you at all! For that reason I shun Facebook. I use its messanger but only because a few mates prefer it to WhatsApp.

I understand it though. I get why other people like it, I used to. I'm certainly too busy to spend the time customising it also.

• Like 1

If I'm not interested in talking directly to you, or sending you a message to see how you are getting on, it generally means I'm not interested in you at all! For that reason I shun Facebook. I use its messanger but only because a few mates prefer it to WhatsApp.

I understand it though. I get why other people like it, I used to. I'm certainly too busy to spend the time customising it also.

but not to busy to post on a football forum :P

As for contacting people directly, that's a completely different medium.

Again, I have cousins who live in the states and Australia. Some of them I'm close to, some of them I'm not that close to. I could hold a conversation with them but I don't see them that often (for obvious reasons)

I would never ever ever phone those people. if it wasn't for facebook I'd never speak or see them unless they happen to visit the UK or Ireland, but even then I doubt I'd be high on the agenda (I have a huge family)

But I like to see how those guys are getting on, so I see their facebook updates and photos. I'd never phone or skype or even whatsapp them. but it's nice to see what they're upto.

That's the kind of thing facebook is perfect for

I imagine you're closer to the ones in the States than the ones in Australia?

2hpqdlj.jpg

Facebook has gone from mainly being used by young Harvard students to older people who want to keep in touch with people of similar age and/or see photos of grandkids.

Whilst I'm sure older people do use it for that reason (and it's a perfectly valid reason, and one of the main reasons I use it despite not falling into that demographic), if you think that is who "mainly" uses facebook then you couldn't be much further from the truth

hmm i dont think hes too far from the truth. Most people my age group (im 22) never ever post unless its bragging about travelling to some country. I see more posts from my parents/aunties/uncles/older cousins than i do anyone my age posting. In my opinion...the older generation "killed" facebook for the "younger" generation...nobody young likes their parents knowing exactly what theyre doing all the time. Especially with annoying photo comments aswell(from experience). Isnt everything going on instagram/snapchat nowadays? So i would agree its mostly older people using it.

I would say most people older than me but not "old people" only use facebook to store photos of their kids

Edited by gharperr

hmm i dont think hes too far from the truth. Most people my age group (im 22) never ever post unless its bragging about travelling to some country. I see more posts from my parents/aunties/uncles/older cousins than i do anyone my age posting. In my opinion...the older generation "killed" facebook for the "younger" generation...nobody young likes their parents knowing exactly what theyre doing all the time. Especially with annoying photo comments aswell(from experience). Isnt everything going on instagram/snapchat nowadays? So i would agree its mostly older people using it.

I would say most people older than me but not "old people" only use facebook to store photos of their kids

45% of internet users over 60 use Facebook.

84% of internet users aged 18-25 use Facebook.

So yeah. he's pretty far from the truth.

Such vague stats

Possibly, but they're the ones readily available. Gives you an indication as to the demographic. That's before you go into the fact that I'm sure th enumber of internet "users" aged between 18-25 is far FAR greater than the number of users aged over 60.

Do you really think more "old" people (don't know how you define old) use Facebook than young people?

Edit: I would say that I'd wager the proportion of older users is probably growing, as I'm sure would be the case with any social media. But that doesn't mean it is "mainly" used by old people. Although again it depends on what you call old. I assumed it to mean elderly, as in 60+ sort of range. If you consider it to mean anything above a teenager then that's a different story

Edited by Stevo985

Â