General Chat

Stevo985

I dont see the problem with telling people how much you earn, I know it's not really the done thing, but I don't see what's strange about it.

Some people earn loads, some earn little, it's happened forever and will continue to do so until consumer societies burn to the floor.

• Like 1

I dont see the problem with telling people how much you earn, I know it's not really the done thing, but I don't see what's strange about it.

Some people earn loads, some earn little, it's happened forever and will continue to do so until consumer societies burn to the floor.

Very much agree

I'm also pretty annoyed that when I was at school there was such a huge emphasis on a levels and then on university, it was almost like the school was on commission (probably appears as sales pitch somewhere "90% of our students go to university" shame they don't put "50% of them end up with a job that doesn't require a degree...")

I don't mind knowing what people do, how much they earn and how they got there, I've got younger brothers and sisters and nephews who will no doubt get the same go to uni or you're doomed bullshit so I think it's always good to know where the money is

Fwiw I'm a QS so I deal with money in construction, there's a vast amount of money to be made in construction that my school never mentioned once to me, as an industry is looked down on, lots of people doing very well out of it, top to bottom too

Very much agree

I'm also pretty annoyed that when I was at school there was such a huge emphasis on a levels and then on university, it was almost like the school was on commission (probably appears as sales pitch somewhere "90% of our students go to university" shame they don't put "50% of them end up with a job that doesn't require a degree...")

I don't mind knowing what people do, how much they earn and how they got there, I've got younger brothers and sisters and nephews who will no doubt get the same go to uni or you're doomed bullshit so I think it's always good to know where the money is

Fwiw I'm a QS so I deal with money in construction, there's a vast amount of money to be made in construction that my school never mentioned once to me, as an industry is looked down on, lots of people doing very well out of it, top to bottom too

Yea, my brother went to uni at 27 when he realised the money wasn't too good in I.T (what he was doing anyway) and now he's a construction manager, earning good corn by the sounds of it.

I think the whole "I won't tell you what I'm earning" comes from people in high paying jobs thinking they'll come across as showing off and the people on lower paying jobs maybe a little embarrassed that they're not earning what they think is average.

It's a very British thing I imagine.. 

It's funny if someone buys something expensive though and cannot wait to tell you how much it is.  "oooh, I bought a new car, £20,000 it was, then I had a £2,000 stereo put in!" or "ooooh, I just bought a new hoover, £300 it was!"

It's almost breaking that "How much I earn" barrier, without really breaking it.

I earn £50-60k depending on what the business turns over. And no you cannot borrow a tenner. That's not all that much money for London mind, at the lower end its pretty much bang on mean average for males living here.

I'm comfortable, I won't starve, but I can't really afford to buy property. Even a couple of years ago I would have thought that an obscene amount of money, it really isn't.

I'm not surprised by those figures at all.

The main problem with the 'How much do you earn' question is that there are way too may judgemental arseholes who will measure people only in their wealth.

Sad state of affairs, but i've seen it happen on many an occasion*

*(not to me of course, I earn a **** load because i'm absolutely brilliant)

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 4

I earn £50-60k depending on what the business turns over. And no you cannot borrow a tenner. That's not all that much money for London mind, at the lower end its pretty much bang on mean average for males living here.

I'm comfortable, I won't starve, but I can't really afford to buy property. Even a couple of years ago I would have thought that an obscene amount of money, it really isn't.

Christ, I don't even get near that on the nights I wear my prettiest lingerie.

You can't buy property on that salary??? What the hell are you spending it on?

You can't buy property on that salary??? What the hell are you spending it on?

If no one else is going to say it....

Dog food.

Â