Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

I agree, nice to see a club stand up for itself. He was happy to sign the long term contract with extra earnings, so he should show some honour. If you keep letting players bully you into leaving, then you are setting a precedence and you can expect it to keep happening.

Exactly so. And this, in addition to Modric being our best player, was the key reason why Levy refused to sell; to crush so-called "player power" at Spurs and put at end to the cycle that began with Carrick and continued through Berbatov and Keane. Otherwise, it might have continued into the future through Bale, Sandro, Walker and who knows who else.

The longer-term benefits are immense. No more will any Spurs player on a long contract believe that they can just leave whenever they want, and wealthy clubs will think twice about wasting their summer in pursuit of such Spurs players if Levy says "not for sale".

IF Spurs choose to sell Modric next summer, then we'll still get a big price for him. Turning down 30m + Alex for Modric is worth it for what Levy has achieved: hats off off to him.

What they're doing is good for football imo, stops the whole trend about players having too much power and hence not honouring their contracts. Don't find myself agreeing with you too often but I have to agree with you there.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why Spurs didn't go for Given. I mean why go for Friedel when there's someone better, (IMO) a tiny bit more expensive, and 5 years younger?

Not that I'm complaining.

Shay's family are settled in Manchester and Birmingham is commutable from his home. Manchester to London couldn't be done every day.

Tell that to Joe Cole

I wonder why Spurs didn't go for Given. I mean why go for Friedel when there's someone better, (IMO) a tiny bit more expensive, and 5 years younger?

Not that I'm complaining.

Shay's family are settled in Manchester and Birmingham is commutable from his home. Manchester to London couldn't be done every day.

Tell that to Joe Cole

Tell that to David Unsworth.

Instead of automatically seeking to snipe, some VTers might do better to take a more considered view.

Oi Dickhead

This is a Villa forum so remember where you are, we can snipe at your bag of shite all we like, further, "Glastonspur take a condecending attitude to "sniping" and recommends a considered view".

In all your time on here you've never taken any other view than

a) Spurs are better than everyone else in the world (copyright Glstonspur ad infinitum)

B) Any bullshit statistics you quote are on a par with the tablets Moses brought down from the mountain.

My considered view is that as your season decends into mediocrity (yet again) you'll vanish as usual only to reappear when you've had 1 decent result

My hope is the decent result doesn't appear and you'll vanish off here forever.

The longer-term benefits are immense. No more will any Spurs player on a long contract believe that they can just leave whenever they want, and wealthy clubs will think twice about wasting their summer in pursuit of such Spurs players if Levy says "not for sale".

or you have an unhappy player who leaves in Jan for £25m as his head hasn't been right

there is usually only one winner in player v Club battles

Chelski wasted their summer in pursuit of the unnattainable. And the price they paid for their stupidity and arrogance is a last-minute panic buy, Meireles, who I doubt was even Plan C, let alone Plan B.

Or they spent the whole summer unsettling a spurs player and derailing spurs season. The stance spurs have taken could backfire, will players sign a long contract which stops them leaving to a bigger club and making spurs quite a bit of money. Shorter contracts would mean less money for spurs in the long term.

I agree here. You think Chelsea only went with one option for the summer, and that was Modric? They spent the summer unsettling you, you got **** all in (40 year old keeper and a moody ex-Gooner) you're still missing that top striker, sure you've lost a few off the wage bill and done well in that respect but you're miles off Man City, Chelsea, United, and now Liverpool are pulling off, you're not even as good as Arsenal, at least they managed to get Arteta and Mertesacker.

You got offered (supposedly) an astronomical fee for a player that doesn't want to be there, and you turned it down. Basically yeah, levy won't be bullied (everyone always knows that anyway) but now they know he's stubborn and lets his pride get in the way. Chelsea have got Meireles who you claim isn't even a plan C, well he's a quality player and he's at Chelsea, and Modric is unhappily still at you, and you know what? Chelsea are laughing at you. They've been baiting you all summer, and instead of getting good players in, you've rejoiced at keeping a player who doesn't want to play for you. Quite brilliant.

i do admire the way Levy managed to shift Crouch for 10m though, inspired. Did he drug Tony Pulis?

Instead of automatically seeking to snipe, some VTers might do better to take a more considered view.

Oi Dickhead

This is a Villa forum so remember where you are, we can snipe at your bag of shite all we like, further, "Glastonspur take a condecending attitude to "sniping" and recommends a considered view".

In all your time on here you've never taken any other view than

a) Spurs are better than everyone else in the world (copyright Glstonspur ad infinitum)

B) Any bullshit statistics you quote are on a par with the tablets Moses brought down from the mountain.

My considered view is that as your season decends into mediocrity (yet again) you'll vanish as usual only to reappear when you've had 1 decent result

My hope is the decent result doesn't appear and you'll vanish off here forever.

Bravo Sir, I couldn't have put it better myself. I support your campaign to rid VT of this anus.

Oi Dickhead

This is a Villa forum so remember where you are, we can snipe at your bag of shite all we like ...

Of course you can, and I haven't said you can't. I merely said you might do better not to: less heat, more light.

Obviously it's up to you and clearly you've made your choice. But at the end of the day, no amount of the sniping that occurred at my earlier statement that Modric's staying was "nailed on" will hide the fact that I was right.

Heat 0 - Light 1. FT score.

Oi Dickhead

This is a Villa forum so remember where you are, we can snipe at your bag of shite all we like ...

Of course you can, and I haven't said you can't. I merely said you might do better not to: less heat, more light.

Obviously it's up to you and clearly you've made your choice. But at the end of the day, no amount of the sniping that occurred at my earlier statement that Modric's staying was "nailed on" will hide the fact that I was right.

Light was better before 1990, therefore your post is irrelevant.

I agree here. You think Chelsea only went with one option for the summer, and that was Modric? ...

No, I don't think that. But clearly Modric was their main CM target and their main target overall - they failed to get him and ended up with a player (Meireles) who is, by any standards, a significant downgrade compared to Modric.

.... you got **** all in (40 year old keeper and a moody ex-Gooner) ...

Really? You forgot Parker, Walker returning from loan and several young prospects arriving like Coulibaly, Ceballos and Falque Silva.

The fact is that Adebayor is an upgrade on Crouch and likewise Parker for Palacios. Couple that with Walker now competing for the RB slot, plenty of deadwood shifted out and off the wage bill ... and I'd say Spurs have done not too badly in this window.

.... now Liverpool are pulling off, you're not even as good as Arsenal...

That remains to be seen does it not?

.... Arsenal, at least they managed to get Arteta and Mertesacker....

LOL ..... and lost Nasri, Fabregas, Clichy and several others.

.... Chelsea are laughing at you. ...

This is an amazing attempt at re-writing history, but nonetheless silly: Chelski wasted their summer on Modric and ended up with a Plan C or D player ... a last-minute panic buy. I know plenty of Spurs fans who are having a nice chuckle at Chelski's arrogant stupidity.

... Light was better before 1990, therefore your post is irrelevant.

At the speed of light in a vacuum, time doesn't pass for a photon (it has the maximum possible velocity through space and thus zero velocity through time).

Therefore your post - and its reference to "before 1990" - is meaningless.

But clearly Modric was their main CM target and their main target overall - they failed to get him and ended up with a player (Meireles) who is, by any standards, a significant downgrade compared to Modric.

Say wha? Meireles is a bloody good player. Chelsea's first choice target he may not have been, but a "significant downgrade" on Modrić he ain't.

Oi Dickhead

One has to assume from your "selective quoting" that you had no counter to the rest of my post and your condecending ending merely confirms this.

You obviously seem to think this is a competition where there is a winner and a loser.

I've better uses of my time than a meaningless competition with a self righteous prat

My post is a mixture of a heartfelt plea for you to vanish and an expression of my belief of what will actually happen based on your normal modus opperandi (google it)

As I've previously posted you're far from a "friendly" visitor and are as welcome a a dose of herpes

Bye

But clearly Modric was their main CM target and their main target overall - they failed to get him and ended up with a player (Meireles) who is, by any standards, a significant downgrade compared to Modric.

Say wha? Meireles is a bloody good player. Chelsea's first choice target he may not have been, but a "significant downgrade" on Modrić he ain't.

Indeed. Completely **** different too, so different it hurts my head to even try and compare the two.

I love fans of other clubs coming over. Joey55, the Arsenal that pops up from time to time and of course my (and everyone's I hope) eternal favourite ArtetasGirl are more than ample contributors to my knowledge of the game. There's a man City fan who seems OK as well (CitizenBlue?).

But I just can't abide the bollocks anymore. "By any standards", what like tackling? Positioning? Intercepting? Shooting maybe? I mean for **** sake man, have you ever watched Meireles play?

I agree here. You think Chelsea only went with one option for the summer, and that was Modric? ...

No, I don't think that. But clearly Modric was their main CM target and their main target overall - they failed to get him and ended up with a player (Meireles) who is, by any standards, a significant downgrade compared to Modric.

See above for thoughts on Meireles. Meireles is a very good player as is Modric, but is a significant downgrade!? Take a break pal.

.... you got **** all in (40 year old keeper and a moody ex-Gooner) ...

Really? You forgot Parker, Walker returning from loan and several young prospects arriving like Coulibaly, Ceballos and Falque Silva.

The fact is that Adebayor is an upgrade on Crouch and likewise Parker for Palacios. Couple that with Walker now competing for the RB slot, plenty of deadwood shifted out and off the wage bill ... and I'd say Spurs have done not too badly in this window.

Top striker brought in? No. Top defender brought in? No. Top midfielder? No. Adebayor is a moody **** and if he wants to play he's decent. However, like Carew he chooses when he plays. Parker? He got relegated. And don't give me the "in a poor team" shit, N'Zogbia dragged Wigan to safety so it's not as if it was Parker against the world. Decent player is parker, sideways from a good Palacios.

.... now Liverpool are pulling off, you're not even as good as Arsenal...

That remains to be seen does it not?

Liverpool are pulling off, they're assembling a good side, spearheaded by Suarez. Arsenal have just brought in seasoned players to shore them up. And they're ahead of you still!

.... Arsenal, at least they managed to get Arteta and Mertesacker....

LOL ..... and lost Nasri, Fabregas, Clichy and several others.

Yes.... they cashed in on players that didn't want to be there, you let your pride get in the way.

.... Chelsea are laughing at you. ...

This is an amazing attempt at re-writing history, but nonetheless silly: Chelski wasted their summer on Modric and ended up with a Plan C or D player ... a last-minute panic buy. I know plenty of Spurs fans who are having a nice chuckle at Chelski's arrogant stupidity.

Actually quite a few Chelsea fans I know are delighted with signing Meireles and laughing at the fact you stubbornly rejected 40m. Panic buy? Haha. They had him lined up, but then again that doesn't register on Planet Spurs.

Â