Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And there better defense lasted a whole week. They should have had an us v Chelsea score too.

This is true, if the wrongly disallowed goal stood and Bent scores all 3 penalties the scoreline would've looked a lot worse. Think we need to be targetting being ahead of Spurs in 3 games time if we are serious about 4th place

As for the comment about Villa fans having a constant air of superiority then why shouldn't we?

Since Spurs were founded we've been the superior club for 86 out of your 128 years (67% of your history), won more major trophies, and outperformed you in the 2 main competitions.

Overall we've been better than you for over 2 in every 3 years!

As has been pointed out several times before, a large proportion of Villa's trophies were won in the Victorian era, when the league structure was tiny and most of today's clubs, including Spurs, were not even in it.

In the majority of each of the decades since then Villa have won fewer trophies than Spurs - thus your claim that Villa have "been the superior club for 86 out of your 128 years" is partisan nonsense.

We've been better than Spurs since the year the Vietnam War ended (1975) winning more competitions, the bigger competitions and finishing above you more often.

We've been better than Spurs in the premier league era winning more and finishing above you more often.

Anyway, all that's doing is moving the goalposts like you have been doing and it's not something I really need to do as it just nullifies any moving the goalpost statement you can make.

What is factual though is that since Tottenham were founded we've been superior based on the status of the main competition at the time for 86 years out of 128!

1882-1888 - the top competition was the FA Cup and each season we finished in a higher position (7-0 to Villa)

1888-2009 - the top competition was the league and in 79 out of 121 years we've been the club in the higher position

In totality therefore it's 86 years out of 128, we've won more major trophies and won bigger! In the main 2 competitions Spurs haven't even come 2nd since black and white TV!

You were good between 1950-1974 though. It's just the rest you've been second best! Spurs not being big enough and not following the lead of Arsenal in the earlier years is your problem not ours!

In totality, the measure that overwhelms any thing you can say, we're superior and have been since your foundation!

And there better defense lasted a whole week. They should have had an us v Chelsea score too.

To be fair, with no Corluka, King, Woodgate or Dawson plus a 19 year old right back making only his second start and a completely untried central defence pairing, they were always going to concede goals, especially with Palacios playing with an injury and trying to avoid his 10th yellow card.

I don't think Spurs really had a chance today with the amount of injury problems they have. Anything other than a loss would have been massive, considering the circumstances.

Oh well, though. All good runs come to an end. I'd only predicted a draw in this match, so a win against either Chelsea or Arsenal would be leave Spurs in a better position than I'd expected, or a draw at Old Trafford would make up for the point lost today.

Never watched the game but it was apparently a poor showing from most of the Spurs players today, hopefully that'll be a punch in the face that they'll need to pull a big result in the next few weeks.

And City are on now so they'll either win and net me £60 on my accumulator or they will drop points which will be good for Spurs. I'll win and lose, either way. :D

It's just possible that there will be a week at the end of the season where Spurs fans will be desperately cheering us on against Man City, then we'll be desperately cheering them on against City a few days later.

The first casualty of the battle for fourth is dignity.

Come back when you're Champions of Europe. :thumb:

Since Spurs joined the league:

League Champions: Spurs 2, Villa 2

FA Cups: Spurs 7, Villa 3

European trophies: Spurs 3, Villa 1

League Cups: Spurs 4, Villa 5

Sure, I'd accept that your single European Cup Winners trophy is worth a lot, but not more than 3 other European trophies and far less than four additional FA Cups for Spurs.

Since 1908 when both clubs have been competing the trophy count is 16 to 11. Come back when Villa overtake this Spurs trophy haul :thumb:

Â