319 members have voted

1. 1. Villa goalkeeper 00's XI

• David James
    • Peter Enckelman
    • Peter Schmeichel
    • Thomas Sorensen
    • Scott Carson
    • Brad Friedel

Sorensen was a decent keeper to be fair. Nowhere near as good as Friedel or James, but also nowhere near as bad as Carson or Schmeichel. To be honest, he was treated pretty shabbily by O'Neill.

Agree with that. Sorensen was a decent shot stopper most of the time who made only a couple of mistakes like most keepers do. He should have been ahead of Carson in the 07/08 season IMO.

Sorensen was a decent keeper to be fair. Nowhere near as good as Friedel or James, but also nowhere near as bad as Carson or Schmeichel. To be honest, he was treated pretty shabbily by O'Neill.

Agree with that. Sorensen was a decent shot stopper most of the time who made only a couple of mistakes like most keepers do. He should have been ahead of Carson in the 07/08 season IMO.

I agree, but by then O'Neill had frozen Sorensen out, after telling him he was shit.

I think Tommy blew it somewhat by telling the newspapers he was demanding a meeting with MON to get an explanation of the rationale behind his transfer dealings.

Somehow, things were never quite as warm between them after that... 8)

Jamo for me.

As long as i close my mind to his clanger that "cost" us the FA Cup final, then he was a top, top keeper for us.

had it gone back to the 90s, would defo have been bozzy

I agree, but by then O'Neill had frozen Sorensen out, after telling him he was shit.

In thr national press, at that!

I don't think he was sold to make room for Schmeichel,

Agreed. it was imo his transfer request on the day before the Man City game, a game where large scale anti-board protests were planned and well publicised that forced Gregory to sell him at the first available opportunity, even tho the transfer request was later retracted.

Presumably Doug had a word

Yes. I think he should have gone back but then it was unlikely. Still at least Friedel was bought.

About as shabbily as Sorenson treated any shot on his near post :mrgreen:

Friedel despite being in his twighlight years wins this for me, with James second. James only really made one blunder for us unfortunately it was in the FA Cup final

James got better when he came to us but was IMO never that good for us that most on here says. And I don't even remember him for that mistake in the final. I mostly remember that an Chelsea-player was offside. And that we never turned up for our most exciting game for almost a decade.

Friedel is probably the one that should've got my vote but he's only been here for a year. But he was closest behind Sörensen who really wasn't that bad. One of the best shot stoppers I've seen in a Villa-shirt for a long time. Well, since Bosnich left. James is a better one now, Schmeichel when he played for United, but not in a Villa-shirt. And Sörensen and James were equally bad at crosses.

I voted Sorensen, he wasn't the best keeper but was a big part of our team for many years and although his commanding of the area was weak, he was a very good shot stopper and decent handling. Friedel will probably be better, but he's only had a season and he was fairly average last year.

D4E id be surprised if you compiled a youtube video of the best saves from a villa keeper in the last 10 years sorensen didnt have a fair few brilliant ones, was a great shot stopper IMO but i never felt confident in him, cant remember the game but i can remember him and mellberg messing up through lack of communication and going tits at each other (was either pre season or 1st/2nd game into the season)

I voted Sorensen, he wasn't the best keeper but was a big part of our team for many years and although his commanding of the area was weak, he was a very good shot stopper and decent handling. Friedel will probably be better, but he's only had a season and he was fairly average last year.
I think we should mention rubbish distribution as well. I don't think I ever saw him clear the ball to a member of his own team.

EDIT

Sorensen, that is.

I'm just shocked that Carson has less votes than Enckelman.

It does show how little we've had at the back this decade. Like everyone else, no-one comes close to Bozzie but I voted for Friedel... then wished I'd voted for Sorenson; he had a majority of the decade and it's hardly as though we were screaming for him to be replaced.

Â