319 members have voted

1. 1. Villa goalkeeper 00's XI

• David James
    • Peter Enckelman
    • Peter Schmeichel
    • Thomas Sorensen
    • Scott Carson
    • Brad Friedel

No way Friedel should be ahead of James for me.

James was very strong for us, and for one or two errors he saved us loads of goals by coming out and catching the bloody ball, something other keepers find impossible.

On potential Guzan will be better then Schmeichel at united but ive gone with Friedel
Now now...

Guzan is just 24 and in the games ive watched him play (in the flesh) he is constantly commanding his box talking to defenders comes to collect the ball very athletic knows no fear (his teeth getting kicked out when playing for USA) and makes himself big for one on ones. Very similar to Schmeichel at united. Under the influence of Big Brad I can honestly see him becoming one of the best keepers around. Not to forget he's already in the USA squad who are doing very well since he came into the squad. Not that he is the reason the whole team have progressed but someone has to stop the goals going in.

David James by a country mile.

Friedel would be number 2.

Can't believe its been so long since Bosnich was here! He ws the best keeper I have ever seen in a Villa shirt.

well I've voted Tommy.. i know he wasn't great but he didn't make that many mistakes, really. Schmiechel was past it. James still made lots of errors - Cup Final and i remeber him scrwing up inthe semi if i recall correctly but we got away with it.

Friedel has been OK but nothing spectacular.

Yep still gotta go for Tommy also I am disgusted with the way he was treated in the end. Very poor show.

By Christ we have some shite between the sticks in the last 9 years and that is without including the clown in the PJ's on loan from Palace.

Selling James was a huge huge mistake, I said it at the time and have said it ever since we've not had as good a keeper yet.

Cant believe Tommy got so many votes after chucking one into his own net at The Sty.

I thought that was Enckleman?

Enkelman let Mellberg's throw in past him at The Sty when the Blues beat us in 2002. Im sure you have seen it a thousand times.

Enkelman also spilled the ball at the feet of Geoff Horsefield when the Blues beat us at Villa Park in 2003.

Sorensen dropped one into his own net when the Blues beat us at Villa Park in 2004

Sorensen chucked one into his own net when the Blues beat us at The Sty in 2005

All four of our defeats to the Blues in the Premier League have been because we have virtually scored goals for them.

Seriously, what the **** was wrong with those two keepers? :bang:

Whoa, Heskey looks big, strong, fast, skillful and dominant in those videos...

I want that Heskey please.

Sorensen was awful in them games against the Blues but i think in other games he was pretty solid at times and the best rest in that list at their time at Villa. Plus i think he was unfairly treated by MON when Carson was signed.

Plus them celebrations after our win down the Sty in 2005 are quite memorable

sorensen was buggered when he just casually passed a ball into the net against middlesborough.

he was decent, but he did cock up once or twice too often and was weak at the near post as I remember.

Friedel has been fine, no major errors I can think of as yet.

By my reckoning, first choice has gone:

00-01 James

01-02 Schmeichel

02-03 Enckelman

03-07 Sorensen

07-08 Carson

08-Present Friedel

Really only Sorensen had much more than a season as first choice this decade, so by that reckoning he deserves it. So I'll forgive him his big mistakes & give him the nob...but it's more by default than him being particularly great.

James by a streak for me. If not for dropping the ball in the cup final, I think he would win this poll by a mile. But it's understandable that that is stuck in peoples minds.

Off the top of me head I can think of 5 or 6 games that David James won for us almost single handedly. In his last season in particular he was absolutely immense.

Friedel on the other hand I've not really warmed too. I can think of one too many occasions where he has flapped at the ball and missed by an acre, or parried the ball to an opposition player and left himself stranded. I also think his agility has gone down hill. That said he is capable of awesome displays like Liverpool.

An able number two on the list, but that says more about the quality of keeping down the Villa this decade. All the rest are gash, IMO.

I put James. Fiedel is the next best. Its close though as Friedel doesn`t make the big mistakes James does.

I can only remember 2 James mistakes, it just happened to be one of them was in the Cup final.

I've actually gone for Sorenson, but not because he was a great goalie - more for the fact I thought he was steady.

James - was James. He was outstanding one game, a liability the next. He was obviously the most successful of the lot, but his consistency was the problem.

Freidal - think he has been OK but not spectacular - his performance against Liverpool is what I thought he would be like, but to me, we've only seen this form on occasions- although, on the flip side - I haven't seen any clangers either.

Sorenson, was similar to Friedal - but over a longer period. He also had a far worse defence in front of him most the time - I think he was given a rough ride by O'Neill so I'll stick up for him.

However, compared to Bozzie and even Spink - none of them come close. - which is a shame as since 1977 and Burridge to 1999 with Bozzie - we were blessed.

Â