319 members have voted

1. 1. Villa goalkeeper 00's XI

• David James
    • Peter Enckelman
    • Peter Schmeichel
    • Thomas Sorensen
    • Scott Carson
    • Brad Friedel

Paul Baron turned James career around at the Villa, he became a top, top goalie at VP. He has a lot to thank that man for.

He gets my vote, he played some superb stuff at the Villa.

sorensen was buggered when he just casually passed a ball into the net against middlesborough.

he was decent, but he did cock up once or twice too often and was weak at the near post as I remember.

Really only Sorensen had much more than a season as first choice this decade, so by that reckoning he deserves it. So I'll forgive him his big mistakes & give him the nob...but it's more by default than him being particularly great.
This thread is too ghey for me

We haven't had a proper keeper since Bosnich. Friedel is ok, but getting on in years and past his best. I have high hopes for Guzan though.

James was a liability, Schmiechel was finished, Enckleman was promising until 'those' games and Sorensen and Carson were inconsistent. I'd have to say Friedel, which to be honest says alot about how shite we've been this decade.

There is only 2 good goalkeeper and Sorensen for me. So Brad Friedel edge it over James. But none of them done a better job in Villa goal than Mark Bosnich. I think if he stay at Villa and keep his head under control and stick with Sarah instead of moving to Manure and playing with like of Sophie Anderton he would have broken Charles Aitken record for most appearances.

That FA cup mistake by James has pretty much blotted any memories of him being good.

Friedel

I agree with this. Also James left Villa in July 2001, so I am inclined to think most people are judging him on his appearances for other teams in the 00's.

Sorensen was a decent keeper to be fair. Nowhere near as good as Friedel or James, but also nowhere near as bad as Carson or Schmeichel. To be honest, he was treated pretty shabbily by O'Neill.

I agree with the sentiments on here that we haven't had a great keeper since Bosnich. He reamins the best Villa keeper I've seen, although it's worth pointing outI'm too young to remember Spink in his prime and definitely too young to remember Jimmy Rimmer.

I think we should have kept James for alot than we did, He was pushed out the door to make way for a 'glamour' signing of Schmeichal, Yet another one of Doug's mistakes.

David James's days were numbered when he joined in with the general "The club/Ellis lacks ambition" line that saw the likes of Southgate, Ehiogu and Boateng move on. I don't think he was sold to make room for Schmeichel, more that Ellis thought that signing Schmeichel would placate the fans as he was still a big name back then. Just like Ginola though, his best days were far behind him, and he was just fat and useless.

Â