EL: Rapid Vienna h 2009/08/27 Ratings & Reactions

mwj

ok walked into work this mornin to hear the doom and gloom feckers in my office best quote of the day from one of them " we were never in the game " i mean seriously if we were never in the game then why were we 2-0 up ??

I've woken up this mornin thinkin we played some good stuff , but were abit naive at important times in the game , last 15 min your players are always gonna get tired after puttin in 75 min worth of attack play and running to get yourself back into the tie , so we really needed to of brought on re-inforcments to of countered there little passing game in the centre of the park

End of the day we won the match just not the tie and i think there were still alot of positives to take from it

Disappointed to be out of Europe, but we played fairly well I thought. Probably a fair result, in that they had a couple of good chances go astray, as did we (that pen, Milner's miss from Young's shot). This was lost in the first leg.

Easy to say that now we can concentrate on league and cups... but it's the reason we fight to get top six each year, and it's gone.

I can't remember being so gutted walking back to the car after a game in ages.

Obviously I'm disappointed we're out of the competition, but it's more the fact that there aren't going to be any away trips and I've now got a shit load of holiday to use up which I had saved to go on them!

My only real criticism is I think Reo Coker should have come on for Delph, to sure things up in the middle, 10 mins before they scored.

Rapid always looked dangerous on the break and they missed a couple of absolute sitters before scoring.

I don't think Heskey was particularly bad. I thought Milner was outstanding and Young was more like the Young of old - shocking penalty though, ala Arse away last season.

Cuellar is highly suspect for me. OK he picks up and deals with a lot of loose balls, but once vienna started to run at him, they had chance after chance, he is far to easy to turn, and lacks pace.

Cuellar is highly suspect for me. OK he picks up and deals with a lot of loose balls, but once vienna started to run at him, they had chance after chance, he is far to easy to turn, and lacks pace.

I think it was Pat Nevin on 5 last night that did a little summary of our defence he basically pointed out Cuellar was easily our best defender last night and there goal was due to the fact Delph totally lost his man meaning Cuellar was pulled totally out of position to try and close him down , the one thing i noticed was Cuellar had to do a hell of alot of covering for Beye

OhhhhhhhKay,

Got home had a nights sleep to reflect on what I saw last night.

Unfortunately some of it goes back to the Wigan game, well it would as it was in essence the same team and formation. The exceptions

Guzan not Friedel - no problem there really.

Carew not Gabby - no problem there either.

So what was the problem. He was the bogey man for 18 months, redeemed himself last season but has started this season appallingly, step up Stan Petrov.

Slow, lethargic, passing range of Mark Draper, what's happened, this is not the example Delph needs, where was the drive, the urgency.

oh yes, p.s. What exactly does Heskey bring to the table?

He said they put us under some pressure but it wasn't like they were creating chance after chance.

Also although we had a 2 0 lead we knew all they needed was to score 1 goal, trying to get another wasn't a terrible decision and had milner finished his easy chance we'd have been laughing.

Honestly if we had made changes and still lost would you be on here saying it was unfortunate but at least MON made the right changes or would you complain that we changed things when we were winning and should have gone for another goal? I get the impression that every game we lose a section of fans will be on his back for not doing something.

what game was you watching big john? we got a near escape when that rapid player missed an absolute sitter. thats when mon should ahve known they were bound to score. they were looking dangerous and bossing the midfield. stan was losing the ball all night and we just keeping losing the ball. NRC should have been bought on

if mon had made the change we may be through that in my opinion is what would have happened

your impression is wrong big john you seem to defend mon in all circumstances and feel he shouldnt be critised at all. but he deserves it for doing nothing when rapid dominated for that 20 minutes. the warning signs were there and he only bought on gabby once they scored. very poor tactics with his subs

Once again, NRC is our version of Carlos Tevez at Manure. No matter how well he plays, he'll get dropped the very next match. Treated utterly unfairly.

It was so clear that once again, Petrov faded totally towards the end of the match but still MON did nothing. A simple supplementation of NRC or even a substitution for Petrov would have worked wonders.

He said they put us under some pressure but it wasn't like they were creating chance after chance.

Also although we had a 2 0 lead we knew all they needed was to score 1 goal, trying to get another wasn't a terrible decision and had milner finished his easy chance we'd have been laughing.

Honestly if we had made changes and still lost would you be on here saying it was unfortunate but at least MON made the right changes or would you complain that we changed things when we were winning and should have gone for another goal? I get the impression that every game we lose a section of fans will be on his back for not doing something.

what game was you watching big john? we got a near escape when that rapid player missed an absolute sitter. thats when mon should ahve known they were bound to score. they were looking dangerous and bossing the midfield. stan was losing the ball all night and we just keeping losing the ball. NRC should have been bought on

if mon had made the change we may be through that in my opinion is what would have happened

your impression is wrong big john you seem to defend mon in all circumstances and feel he shouldnt be critised at all. but he deserves it for doing nothing when rapid dominated for that 20 minutes. the warning signs were there and he only bought on gabby once they scored. very poor tactics with his subs

Have to agree MON really should have made changes after we scored. At that point we were through, they had nothing to lose so were going to do whatever they could to get a goal. What did MON do? Nothing just left they almost score and still nothing. Few minutes later they did score and we finally make changes but far too late.

I think the team did great last night don't get me wrong the 442 was the right choice for the start of the match but once we had qualification in our grasp we should have gone for a more secure 451

Great game for the neutral!

I thought we played some relaly nice football in spells, particularly in the second half. Ash and Milner were always a threat and we looked dangerous going foward. However there were still gaping holes in the defence, i don't know where Cuellar went for their goal but their player had acres of space to run into.

The fans, who receive as much attention as the players these days, were great at the end, the few boo's of the professional pessimists were drowned out by applause and chants of "villa, villa, villa, villa" which was good to hear.

Fair play to the Vienna fans as well, they're a noisey rabble!

Time for a good FA cup run i reckon!

i don't understand how ppl can be pleased with our performance, the defence was all over the place, rapid had so many chances to score! We really need to sort out our defence especially with Curtis out for a while now.

Cueller, Shorey did well at the back, why we signed beye is beyond me hes bogus!

i don't understand how ppl can be pleased with our performance, the defence was all over the place, rapid had so many chances to score! We really need to sort out our defence especially with Curtis out for a while now.

Cueller, Shorey did well at the back, why we signed beye is beyond me hes bogus!

The defence can only do so much , but when u have pretty much no cover from your midfield its double hard , hell if MON didnt really wanna make changes at 2-0 up then simpy change the shape , move Heskey onto the right wing , move Milner into the centre , leave less gaps in the centre of the park

We only have our selves to blame for not goin through however i thought we played some decent football

morning after thoughts :

Guzan - no problem with this guy, have every faith in him and Friedel. O'Neill has come up trumps there no question

Shorey - average, strangely much better going forward then doing what he's paid to, DEFEND. delighted we've got Warnock to take over at left back. if Bouma ever gets back match fit that'll be a more than decent pair

Beye - thought he did ok last night, not as good as against Liverpool, but i put that down to the complete lack of midfield protection ahead of him (and the whole back 4)

Davies/Cuellar - fairly decent, at least some glimmers of an understanding forming

Petrov - to be honest i thought he was pretty woeful last night. i'm not sure whats happened over the summer, but he seems even slower than normal this season, if thats possible. looks sluggish and not himself

Delph - maybe my highlight of the night. it was a joy to see a player demanding the ball and going looking for it, very unlike our usual midfield. not only that, but he seems to grasp the concept of pass and move!. had some lovely touches, passes and a nice bit of link up play at times. to me the one midfielder actually being pro-active last night. but i'd have said he'd have been even more effective had O'Neill saw sense, took Heskey off and put NRC in alongside Petrov and told those pair to sit and allow Delph a more free roll ahead of them

Young - did ok, must confess to thinking he may have gone over too easily for both pens, but having not seen either back on the box i can't say for sure. very few flashes of the old Ashley, the one who went to go past people instead of draw the foul. nice one in second hald though when he cut in and had thot shot the keeper parried

Milner - worked his lungs out back and forward

Heskey - the new fall guy, but to his credit - i thought he worked his socks off. he put in the graft but has no end product as we all know by now

Carew - the exact opposite of Heskey, little effort or graft, but has the ability to do something constructive. if you could combine both players best bits you'd havce a world beater. Big John needs to work a sweat up. i'll let him off on the off chance he was still feeling a bit groggy

Crowd at game - 10/10 for turning up

O'Neill - knew we needed goals so went with 2 up top as most would have asked for pre-match. typically the grumblers after were saying we should've gone 4-5-1. you can't have it both ways. I do think he should've made changes much earlier to be fair, some would find it strange knowing we needed goals if he'd gone back to 4-5-1. but for me we look more of a threat in that formation even with less forwards

Fans who didn't turn up - 0/10 utterly shameful and an embarassment to me and all others who turned up for such an important game. didnt stop em flooding the after match phone ins though with their views on the game.

pay your money = have your say

don't pay your money = stop grumbling

thats awfully bitchy dont you think , i mean i have a season ticket but didnt go , does that now make me a poor fan and not give me the right to have a little whinge about certain parts of our performance ?

I think it was Pat Nevin on 5 last night that did a little summary of our defence he basically pointed out Cuellar was easily our best defender last night and there goal was due to the fact Delph totally lost his man meaning Cuellar was pulled totally out of position to try and close him down , the one thing i noticed was Cuellar had to do a hell of alot of covering for Beye

It's obvious to me at least that Cuéllar is our best defender. Beye is worse than UDLC ever was and Delph is too raw to start a game. He has ability in possession but not so much awareness when he's not. As a result, the better more aware players get pulled left and right, then they're out of position for their own jobs and the fans who can't see the woods for the trees get on their backs too.

So foreign fans shut up? Don't be ignorant. I'd suggest if you can't stomach people's opinions then you've no place on an opinion board.

thats awfully bitchy dont you think , i mean i have a season ticket but didnt go , does that now make me a poor fan and not give me the right to have a little whinge about certain parts of our performance ?

not bitchy at all in my view. its the same in any walk of life. i firmly stand by the pay your money have your say motto. always have always will.

its a bit rich for someone to moan about 'i can't believe we've been knocked out already' when they couldn't be arsed to even attend the game IMO

there were many fake supporters on the phone ins last night reacting to the result with mock/fake horror. if the Europa League meant that much to them you would have thought they'd have got off their backsides and supported the team wouldn't you ?

So foreign fans shut up? Don't be ignorant. I'd suggest if you can't stomach people's opinions then you've no place on an opinion board.

well i think its a given for anyone abroad not to be at a match don't you ?

can't believe that needed pointing out

i'm on about the ones who live in the country but cant be bothered. you'd put your money on them being after a ticket for one of the big sides though. which brings the word FICKLE firmly into view