EL: Rapid Vienna h 2009/08/27 Ratings & Reactions

mwj

i'm on about the ones who live in the country but cant be bothered. you'd put your money on them being after a ticket for one of the big sides though. which brings the word FICKLE firmly into view

How do you know they cant be bothered?

Do you have any concept of the history of this club, indeed all West Mids clubs, and August attendances?

Clearly not.

i'm on about the ones who live in the country but cant be bothered. you'd put your money on them being after a ticket for one of the big sides though. which brings the word FICKLE firmly into view

Do you have any concept of the history of this club, indeed all West Mids clubs, and August attendances?

Clearly not.

I know they couldnt be bothered because they sat at home and then called the phone ins for a good old bleat!. Maybe go through the match thread on any forum from last night and see who was actively online but not at the game

No excuse not to support your side if you are able, it was practically free to get in and the club bent over backwards to help increase the attendance

Another kick in the teeth for them.

Delph is alright on the ball. But off it he gets pulled around too much and loses his man. There were many times I was looking at who he was tracking last night and it was either nobody or the wrong person. He needs to learn how to pass players on.

Cuellar was fine and I have been one of his biggest criticisers. He actually saved us a couple of times with tackles.

Oh and Heskey was absolute rubbish. I thought last night was one of the poorest performances I have seen from a striker in claret and blue (on a par with some of Harewood's last season).

i cant believge NRC, aggy and albrighton were not brought on after 70 mins...it is so frustrating - without young, milner we wouldhave struggled last night. petrov looks good at times but sometimes we are too slow in gettign the balls moved wide and to the middle - need to stop dawdling. need NRC in that middle delph looks very promising but just cannot impose himself for 90mins yet - but may work out for the ebst to be knocked out even though i was shouting at the tv for the last 20 mins!

I know they couldnt be bothered because they sat at home and then called the phone ins for a good old bleat!. Maybe go through the match thread on any forum from last night and see who was actively online but not at the game.

So anyone who was sat at home and/or actively online couldnt be bothered to go the game? No other possible reasons you can think of?

I'm sure you can if you really try

Clearly not.

I know they couldnt be bothered because they sat at home and then called the phone ins for a good old bleat!. Maybe go through the match thread on any forum from last night and see who was actively online but not at the game

No excuse not to support your side if you are able, it was practically free to get in and the club bent over backwards to help increase the attendance

Another kick in the teeth for them.

They're obviously not as good as fans as you are they

Extremely disappointing result that basically writes off the whole of last season.

There are no positives to this IMO it is very bad news indeed for the club

very strange

care to tell me what is strange about a fan of the club being **** off that we got knocked out of a european competition when the whole premise of the club over the last few years has been to progress and that evidence of that progress is given through european qualification?

A few thoughts on last night...

Reaction to the result:

Big disappointment. I would buy the “blessing in disguise / concentrate on the League” argument a bit more if I thought we had a realistic chance of challenging near the top of the table. At the moment there are about six clubs who look significantly better equipped than us (the usual four plus Spurs and Man City) and I really can’t see us finishing above three of those (and everyone else) to get a place in the top four. The best I can see us doing is qualifying for the Europa League again, and you can hardly argue that it’s good to get knocked out in the first round because that gives us a better chance of qualifying again next year!

Like most teams, we have no chance of winning the League, but there is always a chance in the cups, and the further you go the more exciting it gets. We had three chances this season, and now it’s one gone and two to go. I hope we take both domestic cups seriously this year, because they are our only chance of winning something at last.

We did at least win the game on the night (slightly fortunately, I thought), but that’s a very minor consolation.

Reaction to the performance:

Mixed feelings. Promising attacking play in patches, but on the whole we looked disjointed and vulnerable. The main problem is in central midfield (as it was in the latter part of last season). Not enough ball-winning ability, drive and energy there, and I think that’s the main reason we look so vulnerable defensively, more than the shortcomings of our actual defenders. I would feel much more confident of us winning with Reo-Coker there instead of Petrov.

It wasn’t all bad, of course. Delph looks like he could turn out to be very good for us, and Young looked a potent attacking threat again (just wish he would cut out the diving). I see the makings of a good team there. Hopefully with Warnock and Dunne coming in we’ll have a sounder defence. A top class midfielder is still needed, and a top class striker wouldn’t go amiss. Carew and Agbonlahor are a bit hit and miss (Carew is great on his day, but you can never rely on him even being fit to play), and Heskey just doesn’t seem to pose a goalscoring threat at all. I reckon with just two more top class players in the next few days, and effective team organisation, we would be capable of competing near the top end of the table. The problem is, I don’t think those “top class” players are going to be coming.

Thoughts on the opposition:

Well done to them. To be honest they deserved it. Their supporters were excellent and the team played some good football (apart from some incredibly bad finishing!) and showed a good positive attitude throughout the game. Even in the dying minutes they were still looking to score rather than time waste. Good luck to them for the rest of the competition.

However there were still gaping holes in the defence, i don't know where Cuellar went for their goal but their player had acres of space to run into.

I'll tell you where he was, closin down the player Delph lost

ah ok, all i saw from the upper holte was a huge gap appear, it was like the sea parting. To be fair i thought Cuellar had a good game up to that point but if he was merely covering for someone else then i think he had a good game throughout.

I know they couldnt be bothered because they sat at home and then called the phone ins for a good old bleat!. Maybe go through the match thread on any forum from last night and see who was actively online but not at the game.

So anyone who was sat at home and/or actively online couldnt be bothered to go the game? No other possible reasons you can think of?

I'm sure you can if you really try

Feel free to post some, If we'd been playing Real Madrid they'd have got off their backsides i'm sure. Part timers

Extremely disappointing result that basically writes off the whole of last season.

There are no positives to this IMO it is very bad news indeed for the club

very strange

care to tell me what is strange about a fan of the club being **** off that we got knocked out of a european competition when the whole premise of the club over the last few years has been to progress and that evidence of that progress is given through european qualification?

I will yes, you said it basically 'writes off the whole of last season'. How exactly ?. You play a season to finish as high as you can, you play 38 games plus any extra cup games along the way. Apparently none of that matters as we've now gone out of one competition

Weird.

I think i know what you're trying to say but your logic is skewed. Did you boo ?

not bitchy at all in my view. its the same in any walk of life. i firmly stand by the pay your money have your say motto. always have always will.

Hypocrite. Or is your gold lion in the post?

A shame that we got knocked out and missed out on Celtic and a rematch against Hamburg. Would've been a tough group though.

We would have been pot 3, not pot 4. We would have taken Bilbao's place in group L, not RV's place.

The thing that majorly disappoints me, and saddens me too as it's exactly what I now expect from the man, is that when we needed to push for a 3rd goal to take us through, our manager seemed bereft of ideas, relevant substitutions, tactical tweaks or this famous motivational skill he apparently has to lift his team to push on. After Rapid's goal we had the look of a team that had accepted it's fate.

not bitchy at all in my view. its the same in any walk of life. i firmly stand by the pay your money have your say motto. always have always will.

Surely he is only a hypocrite if he moans about how the site is run?

Surely he is only a hypocrite if he moans about how the site is run?

I've commented on what he said, not what he might have meant. He's not paid any money so by his words, he has no right to say anything.

Carew and Agbonlahor are a bit hit and miss (Carew is great on his day, but you can never rely on him even being fit )

WHEN fit Carew should be first on the team sheet. His scoring ratio is superb and he is our only genuine world class player