EL: Rapid Vienna h 2009/08/27 Ratings & Reactions

mwj

Thats the European dream over for another year. Gutted.

Team played OK, but Heskey really isn't fit to wear the shirt, ship him out ASAP.

Absolutely agree, our record since he joined cannot be a coincidence he missed good chances again tonight. We should do a buy one get one free offer and sell heskey and Harewood as a package

It's fustrating, I saw a contribution from Heskey tonight, he brought others into the game well and let Carew play on the last shoulder.

When I played football, a player we had upfront scored 6 goals but was one of our key assets and he completly reminds me of Heskey, he missed some chances yeah, but he was so key to the team and people don't see the contributions at times unless your playing with him.

I thought he was good tonight, HOWEVER he has been poor in many games for Villa.

Completely disagree I thought he was woeful. Especially in the box, just doesn't move at all let alone out of it.

Missed penalty cost us in the end. Very disappointing.

Our inability to break down average teams at home worries me. We are crying out for some creativity through the middle. Predictable width and Heskey is utterly ineffective in that system.

i have to say as well i thought petrov was so terrible tonight. he was doing some really poor passes, and was losing the ball all the time. he hasnt looked good since he came back i must say. i ddint think he was good against liverpool either.

i said that it was crucial we scored over there and we didnt. and we wanst even trying out there. heskey should never have played tonight and he should never start on sunday. i would sell him in january he is utter pants

It's fustrating, I saw a contribution from Heskey tonight, he brought others into the game well and let Carew play on the last shoulder.

When I played football, a player we had upfront scored 6 goals but was one of our key assets and he completly reminds me of Heskey, he missed some chances yeah, but he was so key to the team and people don't see the contributions at times unless your playing with him.

I thought he was good tonight, HOWEVER he has been poor in many games for Villa.

Completely disagree I thought he was woeful. Especially in the box, just doesn't move at all let alone out of it.

In the box, Yes that's a massive downer, he sometimes waits instead of attacking the ball, but from what I saw in the second half:

Midfield had the ball, Heskey dropped a little deeper, ball into him, he played a short ball wide, attacks start to progress.

It's such a small contribution but such a vital one which many people miss IMO.

Just had a phone call from the donkey sanctuary......one of their donkeys got out about 7.30 tonight,

it stole a villa shirt off the washing line and was last seen heading towards Aston........

look at how much they backed off us and how often we passed it across the back 4 because there was no space up front, playing 4-5-1 would have made it worse its great for counter attacking and for decent teams but when they put 11 behind the ball it would be **** useless

IMO we lost this game due to lack of subs, we looked good, then looked really good, milner missed the chance for 3-0 and we just stopped, the signs were right there too, god knows how that guy missed the diving header, we were done in midfield, MON didnt see it, they scored and he still didnt see it, lowry coming on was pointless, should have gone all out attack

i have to say as well i thought petrov was so terrible tonight. he was doing some really poor passes, and was losing the ball all the time. he hasnt looked good since he came back i must say. i ddint think he was good against liverpool either.

i said that it was crucial we scored over there and we didnt. and we wanst even trying out there. heskey should never have played tonight and he should never start on sunday. i would sell him in january he is utter pants

Petrov didn't play too great tonight. But he I thought he had more to do tonight than against Liverpool. Had to go forward and help create as well as get back and defend.

I thought he was great against Liverpool, really played the holding role well. He's an intelligent player but his legs are going. Without a rock solid defence, he'll have lots more work in a 4-4-2. It's just not the right formation until we get the defence sorted.

Graham Taylor was quite right that this might be a blessing in disguise. "Concentrate on the league" is a cliche, but I think appropriate here.

Spoken like a true loser about a losing team going out of the cup - which was very important to us. Extremely important.

Look at the positives

- We won the game and stages played really well

- Carew took a while to get going but looked sharp

- We can play 4-4-2 and win game

- Some of the defending was really good

- Being out of Europe might help us in the league

- Young was back to how he played last season running at defences

WTF!?

Positives?

You are aware that we are playing a very crap team from Austria that we should be beating ten out of ten times when it comes to a double tie - that would relegate with ease if they were in the Premiership?

This is a very sad day for Aston Villa Football Club, and I dread what would have happened if we had lost 5-0 to Liverpool and this happened. There would be MON OUT posters everywhere.

Just got back and was surprised by the attendance, to be fair to the ones there they made a good effort to show support especially after the final whistle and i think that was fair the players didn't deserve to get booed.

Think we were unlucky, we had chances to put the game away.

Love milner and thought he played well but his poor cross early on and his missed chance cost us alot IMO.

Youngs pen miss was poor.

Delph played well but completely lost his man for their goal.

MON will no doubt get the usual stick but if we played 4-5-1 and lost i doubt people would have said unlucky Martin, your tactics were right though, no they would have a go for only playing 1 up front in a game we needed to win.

It's easy to sit there and say we should have changed this player or that player when there are no consequences for us, again had we taken delph off for NRC and still lost people would have moaned at MON for changing things when we were winning.

Wigan was shocking, tonight was better and like i said i think we were unlucky.

Going to games certainly shows that the anti MON attitude is only really present on the internet.

I agree with this. Sadly and it has taken me some time to notice it properly but Petrov in a 4-4-2 is not working. He didn`t close down too well, didn`t burst forward and generally didn`t want the ball too much. I like him as a player and he does well in a central 3. He just can`t play in a 4-4-2, our cb`s were totally exposed after 60mins. They looked pretty solid up until that point. Maybe it wasn`t just Stan, but it has to play a part.

The team in general played well though, they good have just done with some help and fresh legs when Rapid started to push on. I`m not sure why NRC wasn`t used when we were 2-0 up tbh.

Hanky, in general the Europa Cup doesn't exactly entice people, its played on a Thursday. They should change it back to Tuesday, and give a Champions League spot at the end for winning it!

Certainly isn't like those European nights we had 11-12 years ago any more.

sooo frustrated. I love MON, think his enthusiasm is infectious, I like the signings he makes (if only he made them abit quicker) and just seems like an all round top bloke.

However his tactical naiviety is damn right shocking at times.

Beye was terrible tonight, after looking so good at Liverpool. All second half he was drifting way too central and completely abandoning the wing he should have been protecting, and incidently the wing that their goal and chances came from.

We finally decide to keep it on the deck......in the same game we play the 2 big men up front???

Delph looks like he will be class, was one of the few players who was always moving for the ball and was making the right passes. Very impressed.

However once we went 2 up and they started coming back into the game it was obvious what was needed to see the game through, and once again MON got it completely wrong.

Unbelievable how such a blatantly hugely intelligent bloke makes such retarded decisions.

Carew and Heskey were atrocious. Carews goal was very smart, but the other 89 minutes he was piss poor, and so was heskey.

I think this season will be a mid table finish, doesnt mean I think MOn should go though. I just hope to god he starts learning from his mistakes.

We're out of one of the four competitions we've entered this year, and one of the two in which we've a chance to do something.

I'm gutted, I thought we played okay with a couple of players doing particularly well, but I think you have to hand it to Rapid, they did the right things and came through.

The ref wasn't much cop, but I don't think we can blame him for gong out.

For me the most disappointing thing was that as the last bastion of the traditional English game of fitness and pressure and a big man up front, we were eventually undone by a side that were much fitter than we were and stuck a big man up front that we couldn't cope with.

Carew ran out of steam on 70 minutes and should have been the man replaced instead of Heskey (although I think if Delfouneso was on the bench I'd have taken both of at that point) Once he ran out of steam, their No. 22 just pocketed him for the last fifteen minutes and we looked lost.

I thought Guzan had a poor game by the standards I'm starting to expect from him, probably the worst I've seen him have in a Villa shirt, he made me nervous tonight where before he's always seemed very sure.

Beye looks like he enjoys being out of position then using his pace to cover himself, which is a little dangerous for my liking.

Cuellar and Davies were nicely solid until Curtis's shoulder fell out again. That's becoming a real worry and we still need another CB once we get Dunne in. Davies's shoulder is like a roaming dog stuck in a garden, once it's found a way out, it'll keep trying until it gets out again. It needs fixing and soon.

I thought Shorey played well and seems to be finding his feet. Which is bad timing on his part.

Delph caught the eye in a tidying up role in the first half and in a more adventurous role in the second, he seemed more than capable of fulfilling both disciplines. First time I've seen him and I like him.

Young looked the one with most drive to win this one and looked gutted at the end of the game. I thought he played well. Milner was his usual non stop self, played some good stuff and defended well too. Neither winger deserved to be on the losing side.

Petrov I'm not sure about in a 4-4-2, his lack of mobility is highlighted and he's starting to remind me a bit of Tugay; an intelligent ball playing footballer who can't chase around anymore. In a five man midfield he's a real asset, in a four he's more limited although he can still do a decent job.

Heskey showed a bit of energy, although usually in the wrong areas and should really have done better with one of the chances he had from crosses. It wasn't a bad game from him, but he never looked like winning it.

Carew looked like a man that hasn't played for a while and was out on his feet for the last quarter of an hour.

We didn't play badly and we've won, but it's a real disappointment to go out at this stage. I think we've seen the last European football at Villa Park for a couple of years now, and I wonder how many of these players will still be here when we next get a crack at it.

We couldn't deal with a big man up front and we aren't as fit as a team from Austria.

Gutted, just gutted.

In the box, Yes that's a massive downer, he sometimes waits instead of attacking the ball, but from what I saw in the second half:

Midfield had the ball, Heskey dropped a little deeper, ball into him, he played a short ball wide, attacks start to progress.

It's such a small contribution but such a vital one which many people miss IMO.

Fair enough but I didn't see any of what you just described tonight. And if he can play with anyone, he can't play with Carew. He doesn't play far forward enough when Carew drops deep for the flick ons.

Just got back and was surprised by the attendance, to be fair to the ones there they made a good effort to show support especially after the final whistle and i think that was fair the players didn't deserve to get booed.

Think we were unlucky, we had chances to put the game away.

Love milner and thought he played well but his poor cross early on and his missed chance cost us alot IMO.

Youngs pen miss was poor.

Delph played well but completely lost his man for their goal.

MON will no doubt get the usual stick but if we played 4-5-1 and lost i doubt people would have said unlucky Martin, your tactics were right though, no they would have a go for only playing 1 up front in a game we needed to win.

It's easy to sit there and say we should have changed this player or that player when there are no consequences for us, again had we taken delph off for NRC and still lost people would have moaned at MON for changing things when we were winning.

Wigan was shocking, tonight was better and like i said i think we were unlucky.

Going to games certainly shows that the anti MON attitude is only really present on the internet.

Couldn't agree more. I don't have anything against MON original tactics, we needed the goals. But its his stubbornness to make a sub when the midfield was clearly struggling. It let the midfield get overran and inevitably lead to their goal.

I agree with this. Sadly and it has taken me some time to notice it properly but Petrov in a 4-4-2 is not working. He didn`t close down too well, didn`t burst forward and generally didn`t want the ball too much. I like him as a player and he does well in a central 3. He just can`t play in a 4-4-2, our cb`s were totally exposed after 60mins. They looked pretty solid up until that point. Maybe it wasn`t just Stan, but it has to play a part.

The team in general played well though, they good have just done with some help and fresh legs when Rapid started to push on. I`m not sure why NRC wasn`t used when we were 2-0 up tbh.

I Completely agree, I thought we were excellent, but as soon Rapid showed signs of coming into the matches, changes should of been made,