EL: Rapid Vienna h 2009/08/27 Ratings & Reactions

mwj

Delph and NRC could work great as a CM partnership, Petrov was the weakness tonight, he just didn't play well, touch off quite alot, his passes are far too obvious and I saw a few times him having to chase the ball down because he had gone too far ahead with Delph.

Watched the game and as most on here I hate to see the Villa lose. Doesn't matter it's a youth side or the first team in an European Cup final; I am always gutted.

Looking back over the two legs I think we performed fairly well. We were caught cold in the first 30 seconds and then held a very strong home team for 89 minutes. We didn't create much in the first game but wasn't the worst performance I have seen. The second leg, we outplayed them for most of the game and bar from poor technique from Premiership players we would have won the game. Young missed a penalty and Milner a relatively easy tap in from Young's rebound. It would be easy to pick on MON for the result but in the end it was down to the players.

Delph is great going forward and strong in the tackle but let their guy run off his shoulder to set up there goal; he just stood still. He isn't ready yet for a full 90 minutes at this level. He has the ability for it but not yet the focus.

Beye had a pretty good game but got caught out of position twice in the second half and one cost us the goal. I say that but Milner had tracked back behind him to cover but his positioning was off.

Petrov wasn't his usally self tonight and lost possession too much.

Heskey did his best but just wasn't good enough. It wasn't going to be his night and Gabby should have been on earlier.

The tactics worked pretty well but towards the end our center mids went missing when it was time to cover the center halfs. They could and should have scored another towards the end. When we play 442 we need to make sure one center mid is covering the back four at all times. That didn't happen tonight and it cost us.

Gutted as I said earlier but looking forward to Villa's next game. When one finishes I can't wait til the next no matter what the result is.

O'Neill dismayed by Euro exit

Villa boss left deflated after Rapid setback

Martin O'Neill has expressed his 'desperate disappointment' at seeing Aston Villa crash out of Europe.

The Villans saw their Europa League ambitions crushed by Austrian outfit Rapid Vienna on Thursday, despite claiming a 2-1 victory on home soil.

A 2-2 aggregate scoreline over the course of the two legs saw Rapid progress courtesy of the away goals rule.

Villa made more of the running in the second leg and went ahead when James Milner converted from the penalty spot, after Ashley Young had failed from 12 yards minutes earlier.

John Carew added a second after the interval, but Nikica Jelavic bundled home 14 minutes from time to bring Villa's continental adventure to an end before it had even begun.

O'Neill said afterwards: "We should have won. We did actually win the game. We should have got through. We should have had the game out of sight before they scored and it was unfortunate.

"They exerted some pressure at 2-0, which you would be expecting, but I thought we had a number of chances to go from 2-0 to 3-0 and that would have sealed the tie.

"Overall I was very pleased with the application of the side. I am desperately disappointed that we are not through.

Experience

"It would have been great experience again particularly for the younger players and last season, despite the way it ended for us in the Uefa Cup, I thought we had some splendid nights at Villa Park.

"I will miss those but we have to get on with it now and we will come again."

O'Neill refused to condemn Young for his penalty miss, insisting Villa did more than enough over the course of 90 minutes to have booked their place in the group stages.

"They were both penalties and the one time the ref did pretty well in the game was to allow the play to continue for the first penalty after Young was fouled," he added.

"Ashley was disappointed to miss the penalty. He scored a great one against Liverpool and felt confident about taking it. James converted the second and then we went in front.

"We always felt we needed three goals in the game because there is the possibility of conceding. We had two good chances to seal the game.

"I thought the team played very well."

Mon speaks

to the part in bold if you knew it was coming why didnt you make achange to combat it? we clearly wasnt coping. their manager made a change at teh right time and paid off while you buried your head in the sand

He said they put us under some pressure but it wasn't like they were creating chance after chance.

Also although we had a 2 0 lead we knew all they needed was to score 1 goal, trying to get another wasn't a terrible decision and had milner finished his easy chance we'd have been laughing.

Honestly if we had made changes and still lost would you be on here saying it was unfortunate but at least MON made the right changes or would you complain that we changed things when we were winning and should have gone for another goal? I get the impression that every game we lose a section of fans will be on his back for not doing something.

I haven't read much of this thread yet, so I won't jump to any conclusions of what other supporters have said.

I thought we really did play well tonight. Tonnes of chasing the ball down, even when we were 2-0, I can't think of anyone that played poorly. Petrov, Delph, Beye and Heskey were average but I thought the others were really good. I will mention SHoreys name as I thought he was superb tonight, not sure if the signing of Warnock had anything to do with it, but very impressive. Again.

We were very unlucky to go out, especially to such a poor side. If anything, their inability to shoot helped them, our players just couldn't predict where anything was going to end up, neither could their players, 3 oen goal misses, one eventually went in.

Great effort from the lads, happy with the way the supporters reacted at the end as well, the majority didn't let the overall result distort their view of what was a very good performance overall.

So, we were unlucky to go out, but they had 3 open goal misses? Humm

Er... yes. And?

We battered them for the majority of the game and could have scored plenty more goals. We were very, very unlucky to go out. But this is the way of football.

Petrov is not getting the help he needs in the middle when Delph plays with him. That's not a reflection on Petrov, he simply needs a willing teammate. Delph is not yet ready to play at that level in a 4 man midfield. I think he would excel in a 5 man midfield with NRC & Stan behind him. Stan needs Sidwell beside him in a 4-4-2.

Bof, in my opinion, Petrov offers us nothing though, because Delph on the ball is just as good, Petrov doesn't get forward that well, not great defensively, whoopedy doo, he can pass a ball to a decent started, but he's no Gareth Barry. 4-5-1, He's fine because other people help get forward and defend, but in a 4-4-2, he doesn't do anything that others can't.

Bof, in my opinion, Petrov offers us nothing though, because Delph on the ball is just as good, Petrov doesn't get forward that well, not great defensively, whoopedy doo, he can pass a ball to a decent started, but he's no Gareth Barry. 4-5-1, He's fine because other people help get forward and defend, but in a 4-4-2, he doesn't do anything that others can't.

I agree up to a point. Obviously Petrov has a lot to offer in the right situation, but Delph really has amazing ability. He is the long term replacement for Petrov imo. And some replacement he will be.

Can I ask how crazy a midfield diamond would be with Delph forward and NRC behind? With hard working wingers like Milner and AY, it could work very well if we MUST play two strikers.

Delph is probably our best passer already on last night's evidence. I think he just needs to get used to the players around him and understand what they expect of him. That will come in time. I'd like to see him partner up with NRC for a game to see how he goes.

Beye is the one who worries me a bit. I think he pushes too far up and leaves us exposed, with many counter attacks so far this season coming from over the top passes down that flank, leaving Cuellar in a footrace with the opposition winger or striker.

On the one hand I'm not too crushed because, considering the clubs involved, it's not a huge competition to begin with; plus it was cheapened even further after last year's Moscow capitulation. Also, I don't think we'd have gotten anywhere near the final, so why waste the time and effort.

On the other hand, it's hugely frustrating coming off such a great result @ Liverpool Monday, and given all the negativity the supporters really needed something to get excited about. As it stands now, unless we reach the final of one of the domestic cup competitions and/or finish in the top 5 (i.e., ahead of one of the big money clubs) the season is a disappointment and a step backwards.

O'Neill dismayed by Euro exit

Villa boss left deflated after Rapid setback

Martin O'Neill has expressed his 'desperate disappointment' at seeing Aston Villa crash out of Europe.

The Villans saw their Europa League ambitions crushed by Austrian outfit Rapid Vienna on Thursday, despite claiming a 2-1 victory on home soil.

A 2-2 aggregate scoreline over the course of the two legs saw Rapid progress courtesy of the away goals rule.

Villa made more of the running in the second leg and went ahead when James Milner converted from the penalty spot, after Ashley Young had failed from 12 yards minutes earlier.

John Carew added a second after the interval, but Nikica Jelavic bundled home 14 minutes from time to bring Villa's continental adventure to an end before it had even begun.

O'Neill said afterwards: "We should have won. We did actually win the game. We should have got through. We should have had the game out of sight before they scored and it was unfortunate.

"They exerted some pressure at 2-0, which you would be expecting, but I thought we had a number of chances to go from 2-0 to 3-0 and that would have sealed the tie.

"Overall I was very pleased with the application of the side. I am desperately disappointed that we are not through.

Experience

"It would have been great experience again particularly for the younger players and last season, despite the way it ended for us in the Uefa Cup, I thought we had some splendid nights at Villa Park.

"I will miss those but we have to get on with it now and we will come again."

O'Neill refused to condemn Young for his penalty miss, insisting Villa did more than enough over the course of 90 minutes to have booked their place in the group stages.

"They were both penalties and the one time the ref did pretty well in the game was to allow the play to continue for the first penalty after Young was fouled," he added.

"Ashley was disappointed to miss the penalty. He scored a great one against Liverpool and felt confident about taking it. James converted the second and then we went in front.

"We always felt we needed three goals in the game because there is the possibility of conceding. We had two good chances to seal the game.

"I thought the team played very well."

Mon speaks

to the part in bold if you knew it was coming why didnt you make achange to combat it? we clearly wasnt coping. their manager made a change at teh right time and paid off while you buried your head in the sand

He said they put us under some pressure but it wasn't like they were creating chance after chance.

Also although we had a 2 0 lead we knew all they needed was to score 1 goal, trying to get another wasn't a terrible decision and had milner finished his easy chance we'd have been laughing.

Honestly if we had made changes and still lost would you be on here saying it was unfortunate but at least MON made the right changes or would you complain that we changed things when we were winning and should have gone for another goal? I get the impression that every game we lose a section of fans will be on his back for not doing something.

spot on

its the same old story...

a tired midfield cost us the game

you could see it, i could see it, MON could see it - yet MON did nothing about it AS USUAL!!!!

Had he taken off petrov and stuck on NRC or Sidwell most likley we'd be c elebrating now

Or even changed to a 451 - we'd def be celebrating now but he just isnt capable of changing things in the same way other managers easily can and this is his biggest downfall

that said i'm not fussed about being out of europe as we all saw last season MON will throw the competition away if it suits him to do so but this failing he has of not responding to tactical changes by the opposition has to stop it has cost us SOOOO many times its beginning to become laughable

Very disappointed with the result.

Guzan - 6 Made a couple of good saves, but didn't look quite as comfotable as we've seen

Shorey - 6 Not as good as monday, but not awful

Cueller - 7 Some brilliant clearances

Davies - 7 Reasonably solid

Beye - 6 Caught out of position a couple of times. Milner had to bail him out.

Young - 7 I'd have given him an 8 or 9 but the pen was bad and i don't like the way he goes down.

Petrov - 6 OK on the ball but no killer passes.

Delph - 7 Very promising. Some good passing.

Milner -7 Worked hard as usual. Great pen, but a bad miss later in the game.

Heskey - 5 Offered nothing going forwards. Didn't link up with carew at all.

Carew- 7 Well taken goal. Easily our best striker.

MON - 5 Had we played 4-5-1 i doubt Rapid would have carved themselves out as many chances. Heskey should have been on the bench or at the very least subbed much earlier for Gabby.

Congrats to Rapid. Their fans were amazing in both legs. Unlike the villa supporters. 22000, considering the 2 for 1 ticket offer, was really weak.