EL: Rapid Vienna h 2009/08/27 Ratings & Reactions

mwj

If it makes you guys feel any better (probably doesn't ;)), this is **** huge for us; biggest win since '96 for sure and the first time an Austrian club kicked out an English club ever in the history of the European Cup.

It's unreal, I'm so jealous of the lads who travelled to Birmingham, must have been a night they'll remember forever.

If it makes you guys feel any better (probably doesn't ), this is **** huge for us; biggest win since '96 for sure and the first time an Austrian club kicked out an English club ever in the history of the European Cup.

It's unreal, I'm so jealous of the lads who travelled to Birmingham, must have been a night they'll remember forever

do you have to come here and rub it in??????????

Unless we're playing 4-5-1, which protects the defence more than a 4-4-2. I don't think Petrov is the problem. If we had Laursen, Petrov would not have to run as hard to get back and defend. He's better in the holding role of a three-man centre midfield, but he's not out-of-sorts in a 4-4-2. For me, once the defence is good enough, a 4-4-2 will work because the defence can afford to absorb more pressure. But right now, they cannot

I`m not too sure about this mate. Even the best defences in the world will struggle to keep clean sheets if they are constantly having players running directly at them from midfield. Certainly when then end up having free men to pass to as our cm can`t keep up or get back to make a tackle.

Of course, but I'm not talking about every attack, because with every team, some of their attacks will break down.

But if we contrast our 4-4-2 with Laursen last season. We had Petrov and Barry pushing forward, neither of which are really pacy enough to get back and catch players. I felt a lot more comfortable about us occasionally being caught short when we had Laursen.

Tonight, as always this season, I have felt worried when the opposition have gotten behind our midfield, and it's because I do not trust our defence as much as I did with Laursen.

I still think Petrov has a role to play in a 4-4-2. But tonight, we had Carew and Heskey up front, neither of which really came short to link the midfield (as OBE mentioned), and we had a defence who have hardly set the world alight. So Petrov had to go forward more, and then get back more, and had to get back so much harder because our defence is not as strong as it once was. As a result, he had a lot more to do.

A tactical problem IMO, not a personnel problem. We have a personnel problem in the defence.

Sorry, can't go to sleep right now. ;)

If I were a Villa fan I think there's lots of positive things I could take out of this game. If you team had played like they did tonight in the first leg too, I'm pretty sure you would have easily beaten Rapid twice; it seemed more like a lack of motivation than a lack of skill, especially with players like Carew not even on the bench. I would be optimistic about your prospects for the rest of the season.

If it makes you guys feel any better (probably doesn't ), this is **** huge for us; biggest win since '96 for sure and the first time an Austrian club kicked out an English club ever in the history of the European Cup.

It's unreal, I'm so jealous of the lads who travelled to Birmingham, must have been a night they'll remember forever

Stop being a pillock. He's come in here and had a fair discussion, there's no rubbing in at all.

If I were a Villa fan I think there's lots of positive things I could take out of this game. If you team had played like they did tonight in the first leg too, I'm pretty sure you would have easily beaten Rapid twice; it seemed more like a lack of motivation than a lack of skill, especially with players like Carew not even on the bench. I would be optimistic about your prospects for the rest of the season.

I don't take positives out of tonight I'm afraid. Not to belittle your club, but we should have won tonight comfortable, and gone through to the Group Stages. We haven't, and I blame our manager's tactics.

But fair play to Rapid. Your side could only go out and play the team they were faced with, and over two legs they were the better team. Again, I blame our manager for that. And your fans were great, home and away. Best of luck for the competition.

We did the hard bit by getting 2-0, I thought the team was excellent, then We should of made changes to kill the game.

Isn`t that what makes it more frustrating, we did the bloody hard bit.

cack.

Went in the Holte pub before and after and was looking forward to progressing to the group stage.

Arse.

Thought we played well enough to win.

Feck.

Should have played NRC though.

Bollox.

Got 2 pens and the ref was still shite.

Wank.

Got to hand it to the topless Hitler-Spawn, they didn't shut up from start to finish.

And Rob, thats one hell of a match summary if ever i`ve seen one!

He can see it, why can't we :winkold:

Of course, but I'm not talking about every attack, because with every team, some of their attacks will break down.

But if we contrast our 4-4-2 with Laursen last season. We had Petrov and Barry pushing forward, neither of which are really pacy enough to get back and catch players. I felt a lot more comfortable about us occasionally being caught short when we had Laursen.

Tonight, as always this season, I have felt worried when the opposition have gotten behind our midfield, and it's because I do not trust our defence as much as I did with Laursen.

I still think Petrov has a role to play in a 4-4-2. But tonight, we had Carew and Heskey up front, neither of which really came short to link the midfield (as OBE mentioned), and we had a defence who have hardly set the world alight. So Petrov had to go forward more, and then get back more, and had to get back so much harder because our defence is not as strong as it once was. As a result, he had a lot more to do.

A tactical problem IMO, not a personnel problem. We have a personnel problem in the defence.

I see where you are coming from and there is no doubt that having Laursen would dramatically help our cause because of how good he was. It`s just that be it personnel or tactical we didn`t have people running at our back four as we do now. I`m not sure whats changed because as you say Barry wasn`t the quickest either. Maybe it was his general quality and positional sense that use to help us out.

Stop being a pillock. He's come in here and had a fair discussion, there's no rubbing in at all.

i suggest you read the guideines davies4england calling someone a pillock is against the rules. do you want to get banned, if you do continue :?

I don't take positives out of tonight I'm afraid. Not to belittle your club, but we should have won tonight comfortable, and gone through to the Group Stages. We haven't, and I blame our manager's tactics.

But fair play to Rapid. Your side could only go out and play the team they were faced with, and over two legs they were the better team. Again, I blame our manager for that. And your fans were great, home and away. Best of luck for the competition.

Well, that's football, if the better team would always win, it would be a boring sport, but that's not the case. Determination and fighting spirit can sometimes make up for class. I think, maybe you would have deserved to go through despite the 1:0 in Vienna, but your defense was somewhat careless in the second leg too. Of course your team has better player on every single position, but sometimes that's just not decisive. ;)

It's unreal, I'm so jealous of the lads who travelled to Birmingham, must have been a night they'll remember forever.

Looking at some of them I'm not sure they'll remember it in the morning!

To be fair to them, they sang their hearts out from the first minute to the last and were a credit to your club.

Good luck to you.

I see where you are coming from and there is no doubt that having Laursen would dramatically help our cause because of how good he was. It`s just that be it personnel or tactical we didn`t have people running at our back four as we do now. I`m not sure whats changed because as you say Barry wasn`t the quickest either. Maybe it was his general quality and positional sense that use to help us out.

I'd say the positional awareness and intelligence of both Barry and Petrov helped us out. And I guess with a young, raw Delph next to him, Petrov has to do more running and chasing than he did alongside Barry.

I'm still all for 4-5-1, with Petrov, NRC and Sidwell/Delph. It worked so well against Liverpool, and with a Young, Milner, Carew attack once they start scoring, I think we'd do very well this season.

Well, that's football, if the better team would always win, it would be a boring sport, but that's not the case. Determination and fighting spirit can sometimes make up for class. I think, maybe you would have deserved to go through despite the 1:0 in Vienna, but your defense was somewhat careless in the second leg too. Of course your team has better player on every single position, but sometimes that's just not decisive. ;)

No doubt it would be boring. Vienna were determined and did the best they could. And over 180 that was enough for them to get through. Our defence is not as good as it was last season, and I think it'll cost us this season. But I'm very gutted we're out, it was an extra six games guaranteed in Europe. Which by the looks of tonight, your support will enjoy very much so :)

Went to the game tonight and thought we played really well tbh. Passed the ball nicely and had good movement. Not to mention Milner and Ashley having great games. Just a few things I noticed throughout the game;

We have no 'gatherer', either in defensive situations or attacking. We don't have a play who picks up the knock downs from Carew or the opposition when a ball is kicked up, and we don't have a player who picks the ball from Cuellar and Davies when they win a header at the back.

Beye tucks inside too much, often leaving his winger with time to bring the ball down and face him up.

Shorey NEVER wins the ball unless it's an interception.

Delph is going to be some player.

Petrov really isn't fit enough to last a whole game. Vienna's chances only started occurring towards the end of the game when he couldn't get near their midfielders.

THE REF WAS WANK. Absolutely awful. Wouldn't be surprised if he had actually taken money on his performance tonight. Too many blatantly wrong calls and decisions that were ridiculously inconsistent between the two teams.

I haven't read much of this thread yet, so I won't jump to any conclusions of what other supporters have said.

I thought we really did play well tonight. Tonnes of chasing the ball down, even when we were 2-0, I can't think of anyone that played poorly. Petrov, Delph, Beye and Heskey were average but I thought the others were really good. I will mention SHoreys name as I thought he was superb tonight, not sure if the signing of Warnock had anything to do with it, but very impressive. Again.

We were very unlucky to go out, especially to such a poor side. If anything, their inability to shoot helped them, our players just couldn't predict where anything was going to end up, neither could their players, 3 oen goal misses, one eventually went in.

Great effort from the lads, happy with the way the supporters reacted at the end as well, the majority didn't let the overall result distort their view of what was a very good performance overall.

So, we were unlucky to go out, but they had 3 open goal misses? Humm

O'Neill dismayed by Euro exit

Villa boss left deflated after Rapid setback

Martin O'Neill has expressed his 'desperate disappointment' at seeing Aston Villa crash out of Europe.

The Villans saw their Europa League ambitions crushed by Austrian outfit Rapid Vienna on Thursday, despite claiming a 2-1 victory on home soil.

A 2-2 aggregate scoreline over the course of the two legs saw Rapid progress courtesy of the away goals rule.

Villa made more of the running in the second leg and went ahead when James Milner converted from the penalty spot, after Ashley Young had failed from 12 yards minutes earlier.

John Carew added a second after the interval, but Nikica Jelavic bundled home 14 minutes from time to bring Villa's continental adventure to an end before it had even begun.

O'Neill said afterwards: "We should have won. We did actually win the game. We should have got through. We should have had the game out of sight before they scored and it was unfortunate.

"They exerted some pressure at 2-0, which you would be expecting, but I thought we had a number of chances to go from 2-0 to 3-0 and that would have sealed the tie.

"Overall I was very pleased with the application of the side. I am desperately disappointed that we are not through.

Experience

"It would have been great experience again particularly for the younger players and last season, despite the way it ended for us in the Uefa Cup, I thought we had some splendid nights at Villa Park.

"I will miss those but we have to get on with it now and we will come again."

O'Neill refused to condemn Young for his penalty miss, insisting Villa did more than enough over the course of 90 minutes to have booked their place in the group stages.

"They were both penalties and the one time the ref did pretty well in the game was to allow the play to continue for the first penalty after Young was fouled," he added.

"Ashley was disappointed to miss the penalty. He scored a great one against Liverpool and felt confident about taking it. James converted the second and then we went in front.

"We always felt we needed three goals in the game because there is the possibility of conceding. We had two good chances to seal the game.

"I thought the team played very well."

Mon speaks

to the part in bold if you knew it was coming why didnt you make achange to combat it? we clearly wasnt coping. their manager made a change at teh right time and paid off while you buried your head in the sand