EL: Rapid Vienna h 2009/08/27 Match Thread

limpid

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4-4-2 is risky with petrov however we need to win the game and our 4-5-1 is a counter attacking formation and i dont think rapid will come out the blocks after they seen what we did against anfield and get caught on the counter i perhaps think that NRC or sidwell should be alongside petrov though i think this game will be difficult for delph he looked good against fiorentina because italian sides give you time on the ball to play Rapid are like a premiership outfit and dont give you any breathing space i also hope he keeps his tackling under control we cant afford to go down to 10 men.

Crap selection. Really crap.

Should have played Carew as the lone striker. And play Gardner/Albrighton/Bannan as the extra midfielder in a 4-5-1.

Young-Petrov-Delph-Milner is a terrible midfield. I can see our wingers being marked out of the game and Petrov trying but failing to get from box-to-box. It's easy to play against us when we line up like that. Clog the midfield, double up on our wingers and get the central defenders on the 2 forwards and who do we have to attack?

Shorey and Beye.

This formation sucks. If I were the Rapid Wien manager I would just play a deep 4-5-1, and we would hardly have a sniff.

MON has picked a team which he believes should be able to beat Rapid Vienna. Yes, he could pick the winning team from the other night, but; it doesn't matter how well we win, just as long as we do actually win. This lot should be able to do that!!

I believe it does matter how well we win at present. A bad result tonight and Liverpool will be quickly forgotten about. It's all about confidence and belief, and winning well would maintain the momentum picked up at Anfield ready for the Fulham game.

True. However, we also must consider the benefits of squad rotation when we may have a packed schedule ahead. When a rotation really has a benefit is later in the season, but by that stage if the players have not already played together they would be less effective.

We played 4-5-1 in the first half vs Rapid Wien last week. How many chances did we create? How many goals did we score? And that was away!

This is at home. Rapid will sit back and defend. Gabby can't use his pace against a defence defending from 30 yards in. Our midfielders won't find any room behind their midfield let alone defence. Two big men up front is just what we need.

(I hope :oops: )

We played 4-5-1 in the first half vs Rapid Wien last week. How many chances did we create? How many goals did we score? And that was away!

This is at home. Rapid will sit back and defend. Gabby can't use his pace against a defence defending from 30 yards in. Our midfielders won't find any room behind their midfield let alone defence. Two big men up front is just what we need.

(I hope :oops: )

That is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the lineup. Just have to see how it goes. Lasted longer than the first leg anyway