EL: Rapid Vienna h 2009/08/27 Match Thread

limpid

I think keeping a clean sheet will be necessary to get through tonight. I also hear they are bringing 1,200 fans to Villa Park.

I've just seen 3 of them walking around town looking perplexed.

Hopefully it should be a really good atmosphere tonight off the back of the Lievrpool heroics, it's always nice to hear the holte in full voice when a foreign team comes over, it gives a good impression of the club. I think we'll win this, i'm going for 3-1, i just hope that if we do concede first the idiots don't start booing!

I'd actually play the same team that faced Liverpool and if Ash is injured stick Albrighton on the right and Milner on the left for the reasons mentioned above.

Come on Villa!

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume they wont be selling alcohol at the game as with all european games and isnt Holte pub only open to STs on matchday. Dont know if the alcohol ban will effect the pub as it is owned by AV. Im playing it safe and going the addies or the vine.

huge game this one

Going out of this competition isnt worth contemplating

Considering as how the reserves played the other night with Albrighton, Salifou, Osbourne, Banna, Lichaj, Clark all featuring prominently, I cant see any of them playing, which means a full strength team I guess - the only "fringe" players I can even remotely see starting would be Delph (perhaps for Petrov) and Delfouneso who wasnt even in the stiffs squad on Tuesday.

I think we'll see Davies and Shorey play for the last time in a wee while

my pick; Guzan, Beye, Davies, Cuellar, Shorey, Reo-Coker, Sidwell, Delph, Milner, Young, Carew subs: Friedel, Clark, Lichaj, Petrov, Salifou, Agbonlahor, Heskey

Stick at 4-3-3 to begin with, and if necessary take off Delph for Gabby or Heskey as needed

Come on boys, lets do this!

I assume they wont be selling alcohol at the game as with all european games and isnt Holte pub only open to STs on matchday.

Isn't the Holte Pub for ST holders only on Premier League matchdays?

now sure what the rules will be for a European match.

Also the Alcohol ban for Euro matches - surely thats for the stadium? As the pub is outside the stadium i would guess it should still be ok to serve alcohol.

Looking forward to tonight with a bit more zest than I was a week ago!

It will be a tough game tonight and I think RV will a backs to the wall approach.

Tricky tie and I think RV will score early and put us under immense pressure by being 2-0 up.

Villa to turn it around though and sneak through 3-2 on aggregate.

Assuming no Young, how about:

Milner-Sidwell-ReoCoker-Delph

Agbonlahor-Heskey

can switch between 442 and 433 with Heskey working the left wing and Milner joining the attack as necessary. The other midfielders would have plenty of energy and could get forward too

Big test, expect Rapid will be looking for an early goal so that they can sit back, so concentration amongst the defence at the very start of the game will be crucial.

I hope we can win by 2 goals but I wouldn't really be surprised if we go out on a draw. It's a tough call.

DON'T BOO.