535 members have voted

1. 1. Should O'Neill stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay. He's at the absolute top end of managers available to our class right now, and the season is far too young, the game far too fickle to dispense with the services of such so readily.
He's not in the absolute top end of managers. Nothing he's done in his career suggests that at all.

I worry that in MON's previous seasons we have started well then fallen away later in the season. A bad start now and I wonder if he is capable of motivating that side we saw on saturday?

I don't think motivating would do the trick. I don't think the problems can be solved with this squad. We need someone like Paul Scholes in midfield. We need Bouma back. We need better left sided CB. We need Robbie Keane type creative striker. And what's almost worse, we need also back-ups for them.

We have now Petrov, Sidwell, Reo-Coker, Gardner, Delph, Salifou, Osbourne in the middle and non of them is a leader, a play maker, and none of them ever will be.

And none of our strikers can help our central midfielders, there is absolutely no contact, no connection. Milner is not creative, he is defensive. The only way to create goal scoring opportunities is Ashley Young's crossballs. And when Carew out, Wigan happens.

This was a bit off topic, but what can you do?

But motivating is not the key. If MON doesn't sign WS, vdV or anyone else, he has lost his grip on reality.

Stay - but he must get a dressing down from the "powers that be" as his performance in the transfer market is again, shit which is seriously jeopardising our development. He has said for 3 years now about the size of the **** squad but nothing much has been done. Even if Barry stayed and Laursen didn't retire, we would still need decent players to play alongside them. I'm really down at the mo, I know its early days, and its one result but the bigger picture is, its the same old shit when it comes to transfers. Obviously a director of football would not work with mon (or rather the otherway round) but surely a better scouting network or improving links with renowed agents? I ask one question....how many of the top players we were linked with do you actually think we placed bids for?

I'll give him to the end of this transfer window to see if he does do what needs to be done, but if we only sign defenders between now and the end of the window as MM has said then I'll be baying for blood.

I voted Stay... I was frustrated to read on BBC sport this morning that in a post match interview that MON felt we looked "tired." How can they be bastard tired? To be fair, I did turn round to my Holte End colleagues after the 2nd goal went in and said, "do you think the excuse will be that they are tired?" People looked at me knowing that I was joking... Obviously, MON thought I was serious!!!

That was a frustrating match to watch - and it isn't often I applaud an opponent's goal. But their opener was top drawer, whether Brad was out of position or not.

What I would say is that on current showing, we will be out of Europe before our 2nd leg and all of a sudden, the Fulham game (Liverpool away is a home banker in my opinion, so don't even worry about it) is a massive, massive 6-pointer against surely one of our rivals for this season.

I can do without greying hair this year Villa. Come on...

I voted Stay... I was frustrated to read on BBC sport this morning that in a post match interview that MON felt we looked "tired." How can they be bastard tired? To be fair, I did turn round to my Holte End colleagues after the 2nd goal went in and said, "do you think the excuse will be that they are tired?" People looked at me knowing that I was joking... Obviously, MON thought I was serious!!!

That was a frustrating match to watch - and it isn't often I applaud an opponent's goal. But their opener was top drawer, whether Brad was out of position or not.

What I would say is that on current showing, we will be out of Europe before our 2nd leg and all of a sudden, the Fulham game (Liverpool away is a home banker in my opinion, so don't even worry about it) is a massive, massive 6-pointer against surely one of our rivals for this season.

I can do without greying hair this year Villa. Come on...

Martin was not using tiredness as an excuse - he was saying the fact that we looked tired was inexcusable! This is the exact quote from the Mail's report:

“After the initial 15 minutes we were second best all afternoon.

“You can analyse anything really, but at the end of it all I thought we looked tired, which was a wee bit of a surprise considering that we’ve had a pretty decent pre-season.

“But that sounds as if I’m looking for excuses, I’m not, we were beaten, we should have been ready to go and it was very disappointing indeed.

“It’s my responsibility, it’s as simple as that. If you pay your money you can criticise how you see fit.”

So essentially he is not making any excuses and is taking responsibility for the poor performance.

I can't believe, after one game, this is even up for discussion! Remember, this is a marathon not a sprint. OK, so we were bad. No one is disputing that. BUT we just finished 6th (after challenging for the top 4 for most of the season) and won the Peace Cup for gods sake. Do you seriously want to go back to the dark days of O'Leary and Ellis? No, I thought not. The why don't you all shut the f..k up then and let Martin get on and continue to build a winning team capable of getting into the top 4 every year. There are thousands of supporters up and down the country who would give their right arm for the manager and chairman we have, the set up we have, and the progress we have made. I have every faith in Martin getting it right and us having another great season of progression. For those 100 or so who voted for him to go - why don't you go an watch the blue noses - perhaps that might then make you get real! UNBELIEVABLE, FUC...G UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! Nords

Idiotic,You lot have got into the habit of wanting a new manager every three seasons,If we finish outside the top 6 then yes start this talk,I might even join in a bit,But it is a long long way from o`neill going anywhere.

I`m just glad we have randy lerner running the club and not some of you lot, or we would be newcastle.

He should have gone in february !!

This is the most ridiculous post I've seen. It must surely be a piss take, we were 4th in Feb, why would you sack a manager fo rbeing 4th?

I swear, if we won the league and then lost all our games after the title was secured, people still wouldn't be happy because we'd lost too many in a row.

Good to see the vast majority of supporters want the manager to stay despite the timing of this thread which would inevitably lead to a few knee jerk reactions.
Agreed. I posted similar on Saturday after the game and it 66% stay, 34% go so it has improved since then!

Â