O'Neill - stay or go, the update

Risso

Should O'Neill stay or go?  

535 members have voted

1. 1. Should O'Neill stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

I honestly think the likes of Hodgson, Martinez, Bruce could do so much better for us than O'Neil.

Then why haven't they done better than us yet?

Hodgson in 2 seasons has caught up with us. Don't kid yourself, Fulham is in the same position as us. And are much stronger defensively.

Bruce has been jumping clubs the past few years, but his Wigan side always got the better of us.

It's only Martinez's first season, but if it's any indication, Wigan under his management could very well challenge for Europe with us.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly think the likes of Hodgson, Martinez, Bruce could do so much better for us than O'Neil.

Then why haven't they done better than us yet?

Oh well let's see:

Hodgson - manages perennial relegation strugglers FULHAM, finished one place behind us despite not spending anywhere near as much. Has also qualified for major tournaments with Switzerland, and has managed one of the world's greats in Inter Milan.

Martinez - one game into his Premier League career. Already has his team playing better football than we've managed in a long time.

Again, how is any of those achievements better than what we have accomplished? I just don't see the point? Even saying that Martinez, based on one game in the PL, is better than what we have achieved over the last two seasons is quite frankly one of the most stupid things I've ever read on here. And that says a lot. People just love to see everything else with the rosiest of glasses on and toss aside what our squad has done up to this point. I'm not saying than what MON has done is a unique achievement, I'm saying that the grass isn't always as green on the other side of the fence as it first might appear. I like Hodgson myself, but I certainly wouldn't want to swap MON for him right now.

Having just watched the blue's game, they seem ahead of us at this moment. We have to improve quickly to get back on song.

They are, they're ahead of us by +1 goal difference after 1 game of the season. :winkold:

Lets not press the panic button after 90 minutes of football.

Would be great if everything was that simplistic, but in term's of preperation we are some way behind.

Did I say Martinez is better? Did I, did I, huh HUH?! People have said he COULD do better, not WILL. Let's be realistic. O'Neill isn't going to go so soon into the new season, but it's 3 wins in nearly 20 games now, and we're averaging nearly two goals a game conceded over that period. It really can't go on like that. He either sorts out the mess he's made of the defence and turns things round, or he has to go. Simple as that really.

Think MON needs help with transfers though as it does seem an area where he struggles, even though technical directors don't always work I think it would be ideal in our situation. MON could give the person a list of players for each position he would like to have at the club, it would be then down to this technical director to get one/two players for each position. This would give MON more time to do the things that he is best at eg motivating players.

If Mon recognizes he has shortcomings in the transfer market and asks for help, I would support him. If Mon recognizes he has shortcomings and stubbornly carries on, he deserves to be sacked.

the final 3rd of last season was awful we lost 2 major players that have not been replaced,he is so bad in the transfer market,he plays players out of position we cant keep the ball during a game cant string 5/6 passes together,putting a 19 year old in the centre of midfield when he has no experience of premiership football (though i do think in time he can cut it) why on saturday did we not have a defender that could defend?i could go on but i the sooner he goes the better

Show's fickleness IMO!

People say there not just moaning about this game but if they said stay at the end of last season, then saynig No now is abit stupid. Like Everton wanting Moyes sacked.

Although, of course, many of those saying stay at the end of the season could have been doing so under the proviso that the summer would see us strengthen and that going into the new season we would be prepared and ready.

Instead we stumble into the season weaker in most departments on the field and ill prepared for the coming season. Maybe MON will bring in a couple more players to the squad but by then we could very easily be out of Europe and 9pts adrift of those teams that we are supposed to be competing with. Peoples frustrations are not born of just this one result.

Personally I really, reeeally just want to see us pass the ball around and look like a proper team

Stay, Moyes has had some shocker times at Everton and they always stuck with him and now they've been the best of the rest twice in a row and been in the top 6 for even longer. They aren't the same man but consistency is always best and MON will sign more players before the end of the window and in the not too distant future this will all just be a horrible memory hopefully never to be revisited.

Show's fickleness IMO!

It shows that people love the Villa and want the best for it. Wanting one underperforming clun employee sacked isn't being fickle. Going off to support another team would be fickle.

Okay then.

I've deleted about three pages of nonsense from this one.

I invite you to please heed the following warning - comments on this thread should remain on the subject of this thread, any further posts on posters will result in actions against individual posters. - Thank you.

Show's fickleness IMO!

It shows that people love the Villa and want the best for it. Wanting one underperforming clun employee sacked isn't being fickle. Going off to support another team would be fickle.

You call booing at half time when 1 down support?

Show's fickleness IMO!

I don't believe they were booing due to the score. I believe it was the horrible football that was being played by the home side.

Show's fickleness IMO!

I don't believe they were booing due to the score. I believe it was the horrible football that was being played by the home side.

And we played better after all the booing, Yes?

Â