Peace Cup: Malaga a 2009/07/25 Match Thread

limpid

Poor performance, but there are a few positives to take from it...

Lichaj and Albrightons continuing progression..

They both look like future stars and I am sure that Bannan will also be pushing for 1st team action next season.

Our next game is not till 29th July, so hopefully it will give the players a little more time to adjust to the heat...

We may have new signings in by the 29th....

Negatives....

Ermmm...

Nope, will hold my tongue!! I think anyone that watched the game will see the negatives for themselves..

I am holding Friedel responsible for the goal, what the hell was he thinking???

There is no way he is good enough for another season!

Old B@R STEW@RD!

:-((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Somone needs to have a word with Isiah Osbourne.

You need to be good to wear bright yellow boots.

Not shite.

cant understand comments like these!

best player on the pitch 2nd half, gets so much unwarranted stick from a lot of fans, he's got a future here I'm certain of it

I have always liked him. His balling control was good today; you could see he wanted to play. I think a season out on loan will do him good. He needs more competitive games to build confidence.

People can say dont over react etc... but this is going to be one hard season, were weaker than last year and from xmas onwards we were very poor, i fear were gunna be the big team who struggles this season..... too late to buy big, we aint like other clubs who needed to tinker with the team and can do it later, we need an influential defender and midfielder and we needed them early to let them settle.

I predict M'ON to walk by xmas!!!

Erm slight over reaction there methinks!!

Wasn't pretty tonight...but heck it's preseason and it was almost 40 degrees...would have been a good work out for everyone though!

i dont give a stuff about the result so i'm not going to get all p'd off about it - but that was wa nk from friedel for the goal!! he went down in slow motion and pushed it straight out into the middle of the goal - the one place you always try to avoid putting it - especially as there was a striker standing on the penalty spot!

I thought you had to be good to wear gold boots, or maybe silver.

Is there a ranking in these things, ie brown for really poor players, green for those who use the aerial route, blue for those who are sinking?

What nonsense is this

Somone needs to have a word with Isiah Osbourne.

You need to be good to wear bright yellow boots.

Not shite.

cant understand comments like these!

best player on the pitch 2nd half, gets so much unwarranted stick from a lot of fans, he's got a future here I'm certain of it

I have always liked him. His balling control was good today; you could see he wanted to play. I think a season out on loan will do him good. He needs more competitive games to build confidence.

I think he'll be a big player for us this season actually

he's had his loan spell last season obviously done him the world of good

I think he's gonna suprise a few people

sidwell adding to yet another anonymous display to the many he already has in a villa shirt...

shorey, again, being a fantastic passer straight to the opposition... his ability to do this is almost unparalleled in the modern game...

osbourne yet again, being the best player for the opposition...

lots of negatives, and not many positives to be taken from the game... pretty much following on from the last third of the season, especially after losing two thirds of the spine of our team...

but it is only a friendly, so nothing can be taken from it...

Poor performance, especially second half and going forward. Thought we did ok first half, had plenty of possession but created nothing.

Didn't really expect much to be honest as Carew, Petrov and Young have only just come back into training and we are still missing Gabby, Milner, Luke Young and Gardner.

Given the heat it was a really tough workout for the players so should help with fitness which is what pre season is all about.

I can't believe people getting so pissy about this game!

It's our first major pre-season hit-out and we still don't have three key squad members ready.

We learned that Lichaj may be ready to take the step up and we confirmed what we already knew - that Albrighton is ready if needed. Two very huge positives for us.

Albrighton looked very threatening, but I sometimes felt he should have released the ball sooner. Looks a very bright prospect, though.

Lichaj looked decent but his defending for their goal was very poor; you can't afford to make mistakes like that. Also felt Friedel could have done better.

Sidwell doesn't seem good enough for where we want to be. NRC was poor - his passing in particular.

I'm sure we'll look better in the season, especially considering we were missing the likes of Agbonlahor, Downing, Bouma, Milner, Gardner etc today, and Heskey (whatever anyone's opinion is) came off very early on. We'll add to the squad too, of course. I was slightly disappointed with the performance today - poor match in general - but at the end of the day it's only a friendly and things will change before the season begins, I'm sure.

I didnt think we played well but only an imbecile would make a comment like that based on our 3rd pre season game in 35 degree heat missing some of our best players and playing a handful of players who have played less than 2 first team games.....ridiculous over-reaction

get a grip its a friendly

Not very good are we?

I do realise that, so you think we were good do you, it seems it isn't me that need to get a grip.

I wanna see Villa play a high profile team like Lyon/Real/Porto. Even though it was just a friendly, the thought of playing one or more of those teams is an exciting one. I say, COME ON ATLANTE :) (vs Malaga).

They seemed quite confrontational some of the Malaga players seeing as it was only a Friedel. That guy who lashed out at Sidwells face should have been off.