Yes or no! Would you be bothered if Barry went?

jackso55

Would you be bothered if Barry went?  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be bothered if Barry went?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know

Wouldn't work. Barry can't tackle and is quite shit at doing general defensive dirty work. He would be great in a 3 man 4-5-1 midfield, but we won't play that.

Barry IMHO is one of the worst tacklers in the Premier League. He runs through the back of players about 3-4 times a game. How he doesn't get more yellows astounds me. Maybe his nice guy image?

He was good in a 4-5-1 because we had Sidwell who had a free role and wasn't afraid to have a shot or get into the box. We won't play 4-5-1 because it worked and MON would have to drop Heskey which would break the clause in Heskey's contract that if he's fit he plays because I can't see any reason for MON's pathological insistence including him in a setup that isnt working

IMHO every team needs a player similar to this in the Keane, Makalele, Viera mould.

I'm not saying that Stan is at their level, but what I am saying is that he does a lot of the dirty work, tackling, ball retention, organisation, stuff that largely goes unnoticed and largely unappreciated.

I think he has had a good season and therefore think that I would rather let go of Barry and get someone with the same attacking flair but with pace.

we have that player in Barry, the player that currently plays that role for OUR national side. If he's good enough to do it for England then he's sure as **** good enough to do it for us

the difference is, for England he has a top class player alongside him in either Gerrard or Lampard

imagine Villa with a class attacking player alongside him (and i don't mean Sidwell or NRC either!)

I can but dream O'Neill sees sense

Petrov HAS had a very good season, in that role that doesn't offer much to the side. If you asked me to name a player thats amazed me this season its Petrov every time. But thats more down to how bloody awful he was for us before more than anything

But he'll win player of the season i'm sure. Even if he himself said he'd give the award to Barry

Barry is the classic example of a player supporters don't realise what they have until its gone

we have that player in Barry, the player that currently plays that role for OUR national side. If he's good enough to do it for England then he's sure as **** good enough to do it for us

Except that according to MON and Barry he plays a different role for Villa than the one for England. Uhhh for 5mins a match maybe. Hence why in a 4-4-2 there is too big a gap between central midfield and the forwards. Barry and Petorv both play deep and Barry is not the best tackler so we have been getting runover in the middle by average teams.

If you think Barry is that sort of player I really wonder if you've seen him play at all. He doesn't do it for England, and he doesn't do it for us.

Quote:

If you think Barry is that sort of player I really wonder if you've seen him play at all. He doesn't do it for England, and he doesn't do it for us.

Plays a quite different role for England alongside either Lampard or Gerrard and compliments those players and generally plays well and is an obvious favorite for Capello. As we know here he plays alongside Petrov, NRC, Sidwell, Gardner or Salifou and has been our most consistant player over the past three years. We will miss him and I would rather Petrov left and we partnered Barry with a better quality player but that looks unlikely.

I would rather neither Petrov OR Barry left and we rotated them through the different competitions supporting an attacking midfielder or two to the benifit of all.

Is it too much to ask that we don't sell our good players?

I've said it before but i won't mind, i hope he goes early in the summer so it doesn't drag on. We need a different player than barry to partner petrov and i think that will help us alot. We need someone whose alot better going forward and i believe we will be able to bring in someone very decent to fill the void left by barry.

I've got an even better idea. Keep Barry, our England regular and best player and replace Petrov with a class box to box midfielder

Barry cna then do his England role for Villa and we'd be better straight away

This whole Petrov is suddenly a class act thing is most amusing. He's 5 times the player he was previously for us, yet still has no massive impact on the side apart from his crab like sideways passing. He offers no assists, he doesn't get involved in set pieces, he doesn't score, he doesn't have any pace etc etc

He does a great job playing short 5 yard balls and running around a lot

BRILLIANT!

The top 4 will all come knocking on O'Neill's door for him this summer i'm sure :lol:

What's the point in keeping him if he doesn't want to be here

Quote:

Plays a quite different role for England alongside either Lampard or Gerrard and compliments those players and generally plays well and is an obvious favorite for Capello. As we know here he plays alongside Petrov, NRC, Sidwell, Gardner or Salifou and has been our most consistant player over the past three years. We will miss him and I would rather Petrov left and we partnered Barry with a better quality player but that looks unlikely.

And that's also why you never see any steel and muscle in the England midfield when it's called for. It's a totally different game in the internationals facing shit opposition. What you want is a Mascherano/Keane/Vieira and Petrov does this for us. And that's something Gareth Barry simply isn't capable of.

And that's also why you never see any steel and muscle in the England midfield when it's called for. It's a totally different game in the internationals facing shit opposition. What you want is a Mascherano/Keane/Vieira and Petrov does this for us. And that's something Gareth Barry simply isn't capable of.

I agree, much as I like Barry, and think what a great player he has been for the last 10 years, I think it's time for him to move on. Both he and Petrov are great players, but they don't form a great partnership, and I think most of the "fault" (such as it is) rests with Barry. For England he is content to sit and let Gerrard and/or Lampard do their thing, whereas for Villa he neither attacks or defends enough. I think the midfield revolving around him has gone a bit stale, and needs new life breathing into it this summer. A skilful, attacking midfielder would mean we'd be less reliant on the wings, which would mean we were less predictable and easy to close down.

I agree. And when he was given a free role for Bulgaria against Ireland he excelled. He is sweet in the tackle. Sometimes plays silly toe-poke passes to players that work that not many players would even think of. Barry has become confused in his role at Villa for me and often we have two holding midfielders and no one linking up with the forwards. How often have you groaned recently when we play it back and forth between backs and midfield in our own half because Barry won't push forward.

Barry has become confused in his role at Villa for me and often we have two holding midfielders and no one linking up with the forwards. How often have you groaned recently when we play it back and forth between backs and midfield in our own half because Barry won't push forward.

Absolutely spot on IMO. Though it is just as perplexing trying to figure out how 2 seemingly very intelligent footballers and very intelligent manager can't figure out that someone, anyone from the 2 should be going forward at any given time. Perhaps the instructions are that the lions share of attacking and support for the front 2 will come from the wings and that the boys at the back sans-Laursen need all the help they can get. Very hard to fathom.

I think turning on the attacking mode as a central midfielder is something you can't teach that easily. Players like NRC got the drive naturally (though lacks in other departments). Petrov got it and it works very well for him as he is both techniqual and has a shot on him. Barry on the other hand doesn't have it. Which is very weird cause he is so good on the ball and are able to make the passes. I really don't know whether it's because Barry is to slow or what, but he clearly doesn't have the drive forward, and he nearly never ever takes a shot despite having a pair of cracking feet (in a non-sexual way :) )

I agree, much as I like Barry, and think what a great player he has been for the last 10 years, I think it's time for him to move on. Both he and Petrov are great players, but they don't form a great partnership

with due respect, Petrov has never been, or never will be a 'great' player. he just doesn't bring enough to the table

Petrov isn't a great player? Been the best midfielder through a season by a team finishing top 6 in the best league in the world. Are you sure he isn't a great player?

Petrov isn't a great player? Been the best midfielder through a season by a team finishing top 6 in the best league in the world. Are you sure he isn't a great player?

He must work in the print media who give Barry MoTM every time we do well and an average score to Petrov. But then again Petrov ain't in the England squad...

I agree. And when he was given a free role for Bulgaria against Ireland he excelled. He is sweet in the tackle. Sometimes plays silly toe-poke passes to players that work that not many players would even think of. Barry has become confused in his role at Villa for me and often we have two holding midfielders and no one linking up with the forwards. How often have you groaned recently when we play it back and forth between backs and midfield in our own half because Barry won't push forward.

This. I think the problem lies in Barry's inability to beat a player with the ball at his feet, be that with pace or skill. I don't think he wants to push on, get dispossessed and look silly.

Â