The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Xann said:

119056851_3587427314623085_3789051511202822073_n.thumb.jpg.4cb4faa690f2703c16083dd87f1c69c6.jpg

There were plans for this to be relaunched. The current Twitter Feed and the Facebook group are being run by my Ex-business partners who are part of the team that are going to be relaunching it, eventually... possibly...

I'm going to see if it happens and blag my way to being a DJ

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I was about the same distance as your second photo, but the opposite side!  I'll be in the first photo, somewhere :)

Just edited in a new photo, which shows how busy it was. 

I was at the Manchester gig the week before the above pictures, same night as Live 8. 

During the day they broadcast some of the stuff being played at Hyde Park. Coldplay appear on the screen and the stadium starts booing. Next song, Richard Ashcroft is seen walking on stage and the mood completely changes, to the extent that I briefly thought he’d walked on stage in Manchester. They really did have the most football-esque crowds at their gigs.

Anyway, the gig was as you’d expect. Enjoyable if you like them, meh if you don’t. My abiding memories are the barriers breaking at the front during the first song, so the gig being halted for 20 minutes, which led to the young women of the audience being encouraged to remove their tops for the big screen. And also for discovering just how painful it is to get beer splashed in your eyes. And yes, I choose to believe it was beer. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I was at the Manchester gig the week before the above pictures, same night as Live 8. 

During the day they broadcast some of the stuff being played at Hyde Park. Coldplay appear on the screen and the stadium starts booing. Next song, Richard Ashcroft is seen walking on stage and the mood completely changes, to the extent that I briefly thought he’d walked on stage in Manchester. They really did have the most football-esque crowds at their gigs.

Anyway, the gig was as you’d expect. Enjoyable if you like them, meh if you don’t. My abiding memories are the barriers breaking at the front during the first song, so the gig being halted for 20 minutes, which led to the young women of the audience being encouraged to remove their tops for the big screen. And also for discovering just how painful it is to get beer splashed in your eyes. And yes, I choose to believe it was beer. 

That is pretty much exactly how I imagine Oasis gigs.

The full on ‘lad’ experience.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

It's not what they were to start with but it's what they became very quickly

It’s not automatically a ‘bad’ thing. People want the heavy metal experience or the hi nrg experience or smokey jazz club, or whatever.

But stood 100 metres from the stage, 7,000 people in front of me, cheering at titty flashes and causing barrier crushes and giving it football chants, it just wouldn’t be my thing. I don’t think I’ve ever been to anything like that, closest would probably be some of the SFA reunion gigs where there was a slightly pissed macho vibe. But then the venues were bigger and it was sort of a greatest hits show, so I guess it comes with the territory.

I’ve done a few gigs over the years where there has been a significant Hells Angels presence and whilst I know they can be really ugly, the ones I’ve been to have been an absolute delight! I’ve probably just been lucky they were on the loved up drugs those nights, not the stabby fighty drugs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve done a few gigs over the years where there has been a significant Hells Angels presence and whilst I know they can be really ugly, the ones I’ve been to have been an absolute delight! I’ve probably just been lucky they were on the loved up drugs those nights, not the stabby fighty drugs.

I used to work with the local "Motorcycle Club" when I worked at the Royal COurt in Liverpool. They were the local crew for Load-in / Load Out / Gig Stewarding

Could be very nice people, in fact they very often were but shit, if someone pissed them off...

Glad I was on their right side. They used to call me The only "Student" they'd work with (I ceased being a student after a while but it stuck)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

That is pretty much exactly how I imagine Oasis gigs.

The full on ‘lad’ experience.

It wasn’t all like that, obviously. Just a higher proportion compared to other music crowds I’ve seen.

To be fair I think the band were a bit wary of it by that point. I remember watching the commentary of that tour and Colin Murray said of some pissed up lad “that’s your typical Oasis fan right there” to which Noel was defensively adamant it wasn’t.

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Xann said:

Do you know them? Are they taking special measures or are they winging it, hoping the lurgy has passed?

My ex business partners. Winging it and hoping the lurgy has passed I reckon

• Like 1

Â