The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

I recently saw someone state that Show of Hands were the best live act in the world (the person adding that they had seen Bruce Springsteen several times).

Well, I raised an eyebrow at that. But after SoH's show in Holmfirth last Saturday, I have to say that the gauntlet is well and truly thrown down. Absolutely astounding.

Over to you, Bruce, I will be judging at the Leeds Arena.

'best live act' is always an interesting debate

For me, I have no interest in paying £70 to be a quarter of a mile away from Kiss doing the whole stage show schtick and actually watching it on the big screens they put up - here's a tip, if you're at a gig where they need to put up big screens - you're at the wrong gig. Had free tickets for INXS in the NEC a while back, even for free it was in my top 3 shite nights.

Nine Below Zero / Dr Feelgood / The Truth all did very simple shows that were utterly electric and somewhere in there is probs the best gig I ever went to

Went to see a guy called Martin Joseph once with the missus, when we got to the venue he's stood outside explaining the electrics had failed but rather than cancel, he was going to jog around the local area and find a pub with a back room. Twenty minutes later he's back, sweating like a long distance running fool, we carried a load of his gear to a nearby pub that was having a quiet night and he just ripped the place up. The feeling of all being in it together and having been part of a special experience was amazing.

'best live act' is always an interesting debate

For me, I have no interest in paying £70 to be a quarter of a mile away from Kiss doing the whole stage show schtick and actually watching it on the big screens they put up - here's a tip, if you're at a gig where they need to put up big screens - you're at the wrong gig. Had free tickets for INXS in the NEC a while back, even for free it was in my top 3 shite nights.

Nine Below Zero / Dr Feelgood / The Truth all did very simple shows that were utterly electric and somewhere in there is probs the best gig I ever went to

Went to see a guy called Martin Joseph once with the missus, when we got to the venue he's stood outside explaining the electrics had failed but rather than cancel, he was going to jog around the local area and find a pub with a back room. Twenty minutes later he's back, sweating like a long distance running fool, we carried a load of his gear to a nearby pub that was having a quiet night and he just ripped the place up. The feeling of all being in it together and having been part of a special experience was amazing.

All of which I agree with. It's hard to define what makes a great gig. It certainly CAN be a big stadium spectacular. But some of my favourites have been small club gigs - Dr Feelgood, John Stewart, Ronnie Lane, several others.

This SoH show was in between - packed small theatre. Why was it so great? Everything came together. Electric atmosphere (hardcore fans who knew all the songs), top-class playing (Phil Beer is arguably the best player of stringed instruments in the country) and - importantly - an absolutely perfect sound balance, don't think I've ever heard better. You could hear every word and every note. It just clicked. And I suspect a live recording wouldn't capture it - you just had to be there. Still buzzing. 

For those of you unfamiliar with the band, they're a folk/acoustic based trio. But they put out a real wall of sound. I'd be surprised if even people who don't think they like that sort of music weren't impressed. 

Edited by mjmooney

Going to see The Defiled this Tuesday and then Half Man Half Biscuit on Thursday. Very different musically (just a bit :D  ), but looking forward to both.

Already saw The Defiled earlier this year in support of Ghost and they were excellent. As for HMHB, the last time I saw them live was 23 years ago. Pretty certain I won't leave it quite as long next time.

Massively disappointed Tomahawk aren't doing a full UK tour though. I've seen M.Patton with Fantomas, Peeping Tom and ofc Faith No More and would love to complete the set.

Steve Earle on Monday at the symphony hall, cant wait for it, the last time I saw him it was in my top three gigs of all time (along with the stone roses and spiritualized)

He was absolutely brilliant

Maybeshewill are headlining an post/prog rock all-dayer at The Railway in Winchester come July.  I'm gonna be all over that.  Only a handful of other acts confirmed so far, most of which I've never heard of but one is The Physics House Band who we went to see in the same venue a couple weeks back and nearly melted my ears off.

Steve Earle on Monday at the symphony hall, cant wait for it, the last time I saw him it was in my top three gigs of all time (along with the stone roses and spiritualized)

He was absolutely brilliant

Quality gig last night, he was onstage for over 2 hours, brilliant setlist as well he does a good mix of old and new material.

The stories that he tells in between songs didn't quite match the ones from last time but they were still good. I like it when people actually acknowledge the crowd rather than getting on stage saying hello playing a few songs and **** off at the end, it makes it feel like they actually want to be up there and they appreciate you being there

Tickets booked for Placebo at Brum Academy in december. Should be a fine trip down memory lane. Well, maybe, I hear they've got a new album out, and having not listend to any of the last 3? I think I might have to catch up to know what they're playing.

• 2 weeks later...

ok the Earth tickets bought

so far for June / July that's Mountain of Love, Earth, Alabama3 and the Proms

no wonder I've got no bloody money

Didn't even realise Earth were touring! Where are they playing, Chris?  Saw them at a festival a year or so back, and they were excellent. Mostly played the more mellow stuff, rather than the doom that they used to play. Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light II was one of my albums of the year, last year.

Went to see Mudnhoney last night, but ended up not seeing any of their set, as I went home with bad guts! Absolutely gutted! That said, I did get to see the Meat Puppets, who were supporting them. They were bloody awesome! The band that were on before them, Metz, on the other hand, were terrible. If they were called the Shitty Beatles, it wouldn't just be a clever name.

Who in Brum at the end of the Month

Fri and Sat night on the razz in Broad Street  ... and without my Villa  mate who lives in a time warp and  always drags me into Flares when we stay up , which means I can hit Reflex :)

How much did you pay for Who tickets? I heard they were exorbitant.

My favourite band of all time, but I've seen them three times (twice with the original lineup, including the original Quadrophenia tour), so I'm not too fussed.

How much did you pay for Who tickets? I heard they were exorbitant.

My favourite band of all time, but I've seen them three times (twice with the original lineup, including the original Quadrophenia tour), so I'm not too fussed.

£65 + £5 booking fee (grrrr)   ... about the same as Mrsh29 is paying to see Bon Jovi ( :huh: ) at Hyde Park the following week

never seen them live  before so quite looking forward to it , got 6 of us going up hence the weekend stay :)

Â