The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Off to see Springsteen open the new Leeds Arena tonight.

Hope the "Wrecking Ball" songs work better live, because I didn't like the album at all.

MOLBirminghamSmall1.jpg

anybody know what the Sunflower Lounge is like?

I'd guess it's pretty small?

I used to be in the sunflower lounge every single weekend, when I was about 17/18

had some good cracks in there, the majority of the live bands and stuff were absolutely shocking, I only really watched the live stuff when my mates were playing, kind of went downhill when they stopped focusing on decent music and concentrated more on the ''scene''

This weekend I am off to Bristol for a weekend of rockabilly and psychobilly. Western Star a superb label from that neck of the woods are having their anniversary. Jack Rabbit Slim, The Cheaterslicks, Rusti Steel, Frenzy, Thee Epileptic Hillbillies. Literally can not wait. JRS are a superb band live and The Cheaterslicks have released one of my favourite albums of the year, great rockabilly with even bits of western swing thrown in there.

Just remembered, went to see "Michael Jackson" (Anthony Edwards- former Stars in their Eyes winner) whilst on holiday in Ibiza last week. I don't normally like tribute acts but I must admit, the guy put on a fantastic show and didn't take himself too seriously.

Hope the "Wrecking Ball" songs work better live, because I didn't like the album at all.

How was he ?

Not heard wrecking ball but few friends reckon its better than "The Rising" which i personally think is his best work

I saw him at Earls Court around 1990 .... Seems weird that was 23 years ago !!!

How was he ?

Not heard wrecking ball but few friends reckon its better than "The Rising" which i personally think is his best work

I saw him at Earls Court around 1990 .... Seems weird that was 23 years ago !!!

Ah well, I didn't think much of The Rising either, TBH. :)

He was as spectacular as expected. They played for over three hours, and I've never seen any performer put out so much energy  - never mind a 63 year old - crowdsurfing, the lot. Just a fantastic show.

But as I suggested above, there was way too much Wrecking Ball material. I'd have gladly binned most of it and substituted my favourites, all of which are from the 70s - there was no Sandy, Jungleland, Rosalita, The River, Racing in the Streets, She's The One, E Street Shuffle, Backstreets or Independence Day. :(

Although we did get a rare outing for Thundercrack, which was a nice surprise.

Decent venue, too.

EDIT: Funny how perceptions can be wrong - I just checked the setlist, and there were only four songs from WB. But nonetheless the set was still mostly post-70s. Which is only to be expected given the length of his career, it just doesn't suit my taste:

Boss1.jpg

Boss2.jpg

Setlist.fm

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

I havent had the chance to see Taylor Swift as yet. I hope to, unashamedly a fan of her music. In other gig news, just booked tickets to see Reverend Horton Heat in Vegas.

I'm afraid mate its the most embarrassing through my own choice. 

you like what you like

I've been accused of being a music snob because my taste is a mix of typical bloke of my age (Trojan box sets) and even more obscure shite. But it's just about what you like and what does it for you. I can't imagine why anyone would listen to stuff they didn't like, to look like they were cool or to fit in.

Anyway, I'm looking at drums with headphones this weekend so potentially nobody has to suffer my late budding career ambition of being a human techno dub loop master....

I've got a bit of a gig blank in the diary for a couple of months now, then Billy Bragg in November.

I'm afraid mate its the most embarrassing through my own choice. 

I seen Girls Aloud in a big tent at a festival and they were excellent. They really got a sceptical crowd onside.

Â