The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Did any of you lot go to the Ocean Colour Scene gig in Sheffield last night? Friends of mine blagged the support slot at the last minute. 

Puts them in the same esteemed company as Dion Dublin.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Maybeshewill

Very nice. 👌

I, erm, have to go and see The Darkness next week.

It's my wife's fault.  And to be fair, she has probably been to 100+ gigs of stuff that's bored her senseless, but I can't lie that a) a part of me will be dying inside and b) it is the closest I've come to considering if not divorce, at least a trial separation. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Very nice. 👌

It's my wife's fault.  And to be fair, she has probably been to 100+ gigs of stuff that's bored her senseless, but I can't lie that a) a part of me will be dying inside and b) it is the closest I've come to considering if not divorce, at least a trial separation. 

I saw the darkness once, it was entertaining guff, but I wouldn't be shelling out money for them now.

I know that The Darkness are seen as a sort of novelty act, but to my ear, I can’t distinguish between them and other classic permed hair rock bands.

Saw a band a couple of weeks ago, Ol’ Times, my brother reeled off a list of bands they reminded him of, I could just hear The Drakness.

I’m just not tuned in to that stuff.

It could be worse, I guess.  We're traipsing up to Leeds for it, as she had initially tried and mercifully failed to get tickets to the London show, to which apparently Ed Sheeran turned up as a surprise support act.  Think I'd have gone postal.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

It could be worse, I guess.  We're traipsing up to Leeds for it, as she had initially tried and mercifully failed to get tickets to the London show, to which apparently Ed Sheeran turned up as a surprise support act.  Think I'd have gone postal.

Aren't the Darkness from around Ipswich/Suffolk so probably related to him. Next up will be Dani Filth with them as well*. My condolences anyway. 

*I seem to remember that there is apparently a collaboration being made with Dani Filth and Ed Sheeran and yeah google tells me that is true so prepare yourself for something truly terrible... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

Very nice. 👌

An old mate of mine still runs their fan club I think :D 

On 13/12/2023 at 16:39, bickster said:

There a Chameleons gig tomorrow in Liverpool, a re-arranged gig from last year, playing Script of the Bridge.

Did you go?

If you did, was it a Moochin gig?

2 hours ago, Xann said:

Did you go?

If you did, was it a Moochin gig?

Yep, good gig, the Chameleons were great.

Lesley Woods, however... meh. Uber-woke granny trying to reinvent herself as PJ Harvey lite using songs she wrote in the 70s but  seemingly completely changing the arrangements to make them shit, It was just her singing and playing guitar, the rest was a backing tape, I mean she completely sucked the life out of It's Obvious to the point that it took me half the song to realise that it was It's Obvious (...and clearly no it wasn't :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

It was just her singing and playing guitar, the rest was a backing tape

At the Big Moon gig the other night, the support act was one Liz Lawrence, who may be known to some of you young hipsters, but obviously not to me. Backing track and a Telecaster. Sorry, but that's one step from karaoke for me. 

43 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yep, good gig, the Chameleons were great.

A friend was putting them on, but I'm not sure if these rescheduled gigs were him?

https://moochinabout.com/

Jason's cool, he knows his stuff. His label is great, Mike likes them too.

I really owe J right now. He sent me a lot of stuff over Covid.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xann said:

I should clarify that I like the Moochin About label (for their jazz stuff), not The Chameleons (about whom I have no knowledge or opinion).  :)

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

At the Big Moon gig the other night, the support act was one Liz Lawrence, who may be known to some of you young hipsters, but obviously not to me. Backing track and a Telecaster. Sorry, but that's one step from karaoke for me. 

It doesn't really bother me that much, it was more the murdering your own songs that really bothered me.

27 minutes ago, Xann said:

A friend was putting them on, but I'm not sure if these rescheduled gigs were him?

https://moochinabout.com/

I really owe J right now. He sent me a lot of stuff over Covid.

No clue sorry, iirc the originally scheduled gigs were split between two promoters and one went with Lesley Woods as the support act and the other went with another act. Just looked at the E-Ticket and there's no hint of who the promoter was

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

It doesn't really bother me that much, it was more the murdering your own songs that really bothered me.

TBH, this Lawrence woman's songs weren't bad. It was just that the musical arrangements were rather tedious. But then it's just not my sort of thing anyway. 

The missus is doing a gig tomorrow in rugeley at one of my old haunts from a few years back. It’s the drummers birthday so they have hired the upstairs  room of a pub and are playing a set. Birthday /Xmas band party kind of thing. Not sure if I’m going to bother going, maybe I should? 

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

The missus is doing a gig tomorrow in rugeley at one of my old haunts from a few years back. It’s the drummers birthday so they have hired the upstairs  room of a pub and are playing a set. Birthday /Xmas band party kind of thing. Not sure if I’m going to bother going, maybe I should? 

Of course you should. Unless she thinks you might put her off. 

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Of course you should. Unless she thinks you might put her off. 

Well when I was drinking she didn’t want me there and she weren’t afraid of letting anyone and everyone know that she didn’t want me there. Now I’m not drinking I’m invited 🙂

• Like 1

Â