Do you believe in God ?

Ballybunion_Ice

Do you believe in God  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God

• Yes
    • No
    • Dont give a shit

is that the quote "energy cannot be created or destroyed but can only be transfered"?

so what believers think is "energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only come from God"?

Basically, yes.

so if he has indeed created all, everything and all that will ever be. He created all religons, therefore all religious beliefs are indeed correct.

Muslims, Jews, Catholics, Christians are all correct in their beliefs.

No. What he "created" was free will. You believe what you want. You make up stories and tell lies if you want.

so why create the 10 commandmants if he created free will? or is that a made up story?

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is that the quote "energy cannot be created or destroyed but can only be transfered"?

so what believers think is "energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only come from God"?

Basically, yes.

so if he has indeed created all, everything and all that will ever be. He created all religons, therefore all religious beliefs are indeed correct.

No. What he "created" was free will. You believe what you want. You make up stories and tell lies if you want.

so why create the 10 commandmants if he created free will? or is that a made up story?

There wouldn't need to be any commandments if free will did not exist would there? He created them so that they would know what to do, or not to do. It was their free will that chose wither to obey them or not. (And btw, for the most part, they did not obey them, not even close)

And on the point of the ten commandments... just to set aside a common misconception!... there were actually a lot more than 10, and they were all for the benefit of the Jews at the time, and not so much for the rest of us anymore. Although ofcoruse, most of the main 10(if not all), do still apply.

there were actually a lot more than 10

well it was 15 .. i suppose you could argue that is 50 % more though :-)

and to be honest

Do not cook a kid in its mother's milk. (I'm guessing it's referring to a baby goat her and not cannibalism :-) )

was kinda of a waste of a commandment , don't you think ?

Basically, yes.

There wouldn't need to be any commandments if free will did not exist would there? He created them so that they would know what to do, or not to do. It was their free will that chose wither to obey them or not. (And btw, for the most part, they did not obey them, not even close)

And on the point of the ten commandments... just to set aside a common misconception!... there were actually a lot more than 10, and they were all for the benefit of the Jews at the time, and not so much for the rest of us anymore. Although ofcoruse, most of the main 10(if not all), do still apply.

Well why do they need to exist if we have free will?

there is no point in rules if you give free will to people. They will make up their own minds regardless of rules laid out by God.

there were actually a lot more than 10

well it was 15 .. i suppose you could argue that is 50 % more though :-)

and to be honest

Do not cook a kid in its mother's milk. (I'm guessing it's referring to a baby goat her and not cannibalism :-) )

was kinda of a waste of a commandment , don't you think ?

There's 67 actually :) And no I did not know that exact number before I banged something into Google just there!

If there is a god, which I'm fairly certain there isn't, then he's a miserable, jealous, self obsessed entity, and quite why anybody would want to spent eternity in his company is anybody's guess. I'll take rotting in the ground over that any day thanks. Also, does anybody really think that a being powerful enough to create the universe would be bothered that a few insignificant mammals follow some frankly daft rules like not eating pork or congregating to sing hymns one day or week?

Really, religious behaviour is a form of mental breakdown that if attached to any other facet of life would see people spending a good proportion of their life being prescribed powerful sedatives in a secure psychiatric unit.

Basically, yes.

there is no point in rules if you give free will to people. They will make up their own minds regardless of rules laid out by God.

Because he gave us free will in the hope that we would CHOSE to believe in him, and do as he says.

We all have free will yes? Does that stop governments making laws? They make laws for our benefit (on the most part), we can either chose to follow them or chose not to.

If God must exist, then where did God come from, surely for him to exist he must have been created, for your own very argument is that things cannot poof into existence out of nothing, and evolution cannot account for things such as morals and emotions, they have to have been created, therefore surely so much have intelligence, so any intelligent divine being must, by your very arguments, have been created. Or do the rules not apply to your God?

Sorry Jondaken, could you answer this point raised please, I'm interested to know how you believe God was created.

God is the man made explanation for everything we can not explain.

Hundreds of years ago God (and Gods) were very important as they explained every thing about life from the sun rising to the reason why people got sick, to why crops failed etc.

As we understand more and more about our universe the role of "God" become less and less. Perhaps one day there will be no more room for a god when we can explain the universe around us. Most likely not however and people will continue to use a Devine intelligence to fill in the gaps for them.

There are so many reasons why I don't believe in a god it is difficult to know where to start. However, I am more open to the possibility of a god (to explain things I don't yet understand) than to this idea that one book or script has the explanation for him. The notion that people born in Europe in the last 2000 years are the only ones that their god will allow a happy afterlife is so offensive to me I refuse to even entertain the idea.

I am from Australia and there were people living on that land for 40,000 years. None of those people had ever heard of Jesus or God or anything of the sort. They are all in hell apparently. The same a the Inca tribes of south America, the Mayans, the ancient Egyptians, Chinese American Indians etc etc etc. Unless you were given the benefit of being born into a community of Christians who taught you "the word of god" you never stood a chance from the beginning.

There are people still born today who are born into the incorrect religion and brought up into believing it by their parents/peers from birth. They never heard the Christian message and so could not be "saved" and will be cast out from heaven.

What a nasty idea the idea of a one true faith is.

Basically, yes.

Because he gave us free will in the hope that we would CHOSE to believe in him, and do as he says.

We all have free will yes? Does that stop governments making laws? They make laws for our benefit (on the most part), we can either chose to follow them or chose not to.

so he gave us free will, then told us to believe in him just "because"?

I put no, but I'm not sure this is a yes/no/undecided kind of question

reason and deductive logic probably leads you to the conclusion that its very unlikely that god exists

Reason and deductive logic are not the only shows in town, there appears to be more to life the universe and everything than that

Does that 'more' include a 'God'?

I dont know, would be interesting in a 'ooh look an alien' kind of way I suppose.

God, nope but I believe in Cod, it's yummy....

However, if people wish to believe in God, The Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus, Peter Pan and or Captain Hook, Allah, Gishnu, Ganesh or Bhudda, that entirely up to you.

I'd rather spend my day trying to help people out, have a good time with friends, than worshipping in some building to some blokes that have probably misintepretted the whole thing incorrectly, whilst convincing you to part with your hardearned cash, despite being some of the richest organisations in the world.

There's 67 actually

ahhh ..

But i think you are confusing your Ritual Decalogue and your Ethical Decalogue ...

Exodus 34 contains ten imperative statements, the passages in Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy contain Ritual Decalogue ..of which there are more than 10

What a nasty idea the idea of a one true faith is.

Exactly. If a person is a Christian, and the rest of their family are not, then according to their beliefs they're going to spend eternity in Heaven while the rest rot in Hell. Does that sound like a "loving god"? Does it heck.

If God must exist, then where did God come from, surely for him to exist he must have been created, for your own very argument is that things cannot poof into existence out of nothing, and evolution cannot account for things such as morals and emotions, they have to have been created, therefore surely so much have intelligence, so any intelligent divine being must, by your very arguments, have been created. Or do the rules not apply to your God?

Sorry Jondaken, could you answer this point raised please, I'm interested to know how you believe God was created.

I don't know is the short answer. If I did, I'd have to BE God wouldn't I?

If it did happen (that is to say, if he was created, and he hasn't just always been there) then it was a long long time ago, I did not exist, noone but God did, and all ive got to go on is a few verses at the start of Genesis and John, so I'd be a bit of a muppet to think that I did know, but no doubt a few of you think I am anyway haha.

the more I think about this the more I think it's ridiculous.

He is the creator of all and everything. He creates us, then gives us free will in the hope that we will follow him. But he gives us no indication he exists at all, but tells us to believe in him.

He isn't making things easy for himself is he? in fact he is making it pretty much impossible for anyone to believe in him. Obviously many people do, but it would be interesting to see how people come to believe in a god.

I was tought R.E at school, but never came to the conclusion I came from god.

so, at this college there was an extra credit question "Is hell endothermic or exothermic"

this is what one kid wrote:

First, we postulate that if souls exist, then they must have some mass.

If they do, then a mole of souls can also have a mass. So, at what rate are souls moving into hell and at what rate are souls leaving? I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for souls entering hell, lets look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to hell. Since, there are more than one of these religions and people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all people and all souls go to hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change in volume in hell. Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in hell to stay the same, the ratio of the mass of souls and volume needs to stay constant.

So, if hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter hell, then the temperature and pressure in hell will increase until all hell breaks loose (i.e.,Hell is exothermic).

Of course, if hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in hell, than the temperature and pressure will drop until hell freezes over (i.e.,Hell is endothermic).

So which is it? If we accept the postulate given by Ms.Therese Banyan during my freshman year, "That it will be a cold night in hell before I go out with you," and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having a relationship with her, the second case cannot be true. Therefore, hell is exothermic.

the kid was the only one who got credit

* Professor sets mode: +m

Listen up, people.

1.) Religion-chat is done, since we're degenerating into bickering.

2.) Goombas are traitorous members of the Mushroom Kingdom who joined Koopa for a share of the power. It says so in the SMB manual.

Â