1. 1. Do you believe in God

• Yes
    • No
    • Dont give a shit

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not believe in God or Gods. I am definitely an atheist.

I have very recently become sceptical with the concept of evolution though. I cannot conceive how such intricate things such as the working brain can occur through chance, or how that chance even comes about. The sheer complexity of the mind and neurons firing, chemical balances, nerve and muscle control, control of systems and motor skills....I just cant get my head around it.

Thats not to say i am jumping over to creationism either, just that i think it's a bit of a mystery still.

We can use hard evidence to show how far man has evolved over thousands of years, imagine that process over a million times.

It's really not that far fetched.

I gather from Jondaken's stance is that computers were created by man, whose thoughts and actions come directly from god. He told the people to create the computer, becuase everything both physical and mental comes from him regardless if it is man made or not.

God is the creator of all and everything and we are NOT free thinkers, because god is in all of us and everything we touch and see and feel and smell and think about. he even created the devil and evil.

he judges us all through his own eyes.

I guess my description is a very simplistic view, but religion in itself is incredibly simple.

God is ALL, end of discussion and I just cannot agree with that.

It means he created rape, harold shipman, hitler and allowed all those things to happen.

Look at your computer (just an example). That got there just by mere chance. Noone created it, it wasn't designed. It just ended up there. That's what Darwin et all tells us.

Pretty much, yeah, and they are most likely correct.

????...

I can't argue with dumb sorry :(

Dumb? Is there any need for that?

I don't even know what your argument is?

My point was, that according to Darwins theory WE are here by natural selection. Natural selection relies very heavily on chance. If we weren't here, there would be no PC. There would be no calling anyone dumb on the internet. Hence, everything we see around us, even the eyes we use to see with is here due to that same selection process.

To be fair, I thought you were just trying to be difficult.

After typing a whole load of stuff there, I've though better of getting into this on VillaTalk forums.

We will all find out eventually I guess. (unless of course he doesn't exist then we will just die and that'll be that!)

Yea, PC world just popped out of the ground too (after x-million years ofc). No-one built it.

Man evolved, man built PC world. I don't get your point?

Ditto

I think what he is trying to say is that he thinks PCs (and PC world) are very complicated (from a human point of view obviously) and hence there must be a god because complicated things couldn't exist with out a more complicated thing to create it.

I don't really know why that is required because at the end of the day complicated "wonders" are only amazing from human point of view (which goes some way to explaining why humans invented a god to explain them).

The matter in the universe doesn't see a distiction between a computer on earth or a rock on a far away galaxy though. It's all just matter to the universe, a different mix of atoms in different combinations.

I have very recently become sceptical with the concept of evolution though. I cannot conceive how such intricate things such as the working brain can occur through chance, or how that chance even comes about. The sheer complexity of the mind and neurons firing, chemical balances, nerve and muscle control, control of systems and motor skills....I just cant get my head around it.

Thats not to say i am jumping over to creationism either, just that i think it's a bit of a mystery still.

On a perpendicular note...

* Can I be the only person sick to the teeth of the BBC’s incessant Darwin Festival? It’s bad enough having this flunked parson and failed doctor (though he was a reasonable taxidermist) on the £10 note. I’m quite prepared to consider the possibility that his theory (welcomed by all kinds of nasty people because it licensed their genocidal projects or freed them from guilt) may conceivably be true. But I do get tired of bossy people ordering me to believe in it. I also get cross when I’m told by Darwinist bigots that if I dare to doubt Darwin, then I must believe in the literal truth of the Bible. I don’t. Like everyone else, I have no idea how the realm of Nature took its present form.

Ahhhhh, but that same argument could be used for scientific theory. Where did the big bang come from? There must have been something before for that theory to work.

Forget the universe itself, where did space itself come from?

The big bang didn't happen in space, the big bang was an explosion OF space.

What was before the big bang? Nothing. It's like asking which way is south when you are at the south pole. There was no space and no time for there to be anything in.

You - sin bin for quoting Hitchens. :winkold:

Off you go now. Very, very naughty. :angry:

He always sounds like Kevin out of Kevin and Perry

"Shut UP I can make my own decisions ya know!".

he basically doesn't like anyone or anything to try andaid him make up his own mind. He acts as though he doesn't need to learn anything.

of the BBC’s incessant Darwin Festival

Darwin was a charlatan ..see George Combes "the constitution of man" 1828 .... what Darwin really did was bring it to the masses due to him being a leading scientist of that day thanks to his "journal of research " (or the voyage of the beagle , to you )

of the BBC’s incessant Darwin Festival

Darwin was a charlatan ..see George Combes "the constitution of man" 1828 .... what Darwin really did was bring it to the masses due to him being a leading scientist of that day thanks to his "journal of research " (or the voyage of the beagle , to you )

is he the dude that worked out the brain considted of different bits each did their own thing?

cannot remember what it's called now. We have a model in our science lab that broke down the brain....

We can use hard evidence to show how far man has evolved over thousands of years, imagine that process over a million times.

It's really not that far fetched.

Well it is to me.

I suppose i'm going down to the building blocks of life, cells, dna, how it all fits together to form an incredibly intricate machine that takes on, processes and expends energy and all the associated mechanisms.

Evolution does not explain these to me. It explains changes and how the changes occur over time, but not how these processes etc came to be in the first place.

When a neuron fires in the brain to control each and every task we perform...I understand the building blocks and then how they work once in this form, but just how does that come about?

There is for me a missing link (it may exist but i'm not aware of it, yet, hopefully) that explains the how we get from raw materials to the abilty to evolve to a working, functioning person (animal, plant, PC World, etc) if indeed it is evolving that we do (which i think it is, if this extra stage can be explained).

bottom line - if a creationist falls ill - he shouldn't be treated by any modern medicine.

not neccesarily because they will believe god is in all of us and created everything. Therefore they should get whatever they want.

Although am not sure why Jehova's and other faiths don't accept blood transfusions.

if that something to do with contaminating the "soul"?

Â