• Dont give a shit

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep.

And to Anthony... what? :/

Ah, bollocks, gotta explain myself now!

The way science works is that you come up with a theory, then 'test' it. A theory is an explanation to a set of observations. For example, "This apple fell down on my noggin, so I reckon there is a force (and I shall call it gravity) that pulls things to the Earth." So what happens is you then come up with scientific experiments using available knowledge to prove/disprove it. The starting point of science is to believe nothing (although one does have to make some basic assumptions about one's senses) and slowly through the above method try and explain the world around us.

A dogma style approach would be, "This apple fell down on my noggin, so I reckon there are weeblies inside all things that are in love with the Earth that God created and want to be close to it at all times." You then write this down in a book, people believe it and accept it. If you submit the dogma to testing using scientific method you may or may not find it to be accurate, although seeing as somebody tried to explain it using their prejudices, fears and imagination the likelihood is it won't hold up to scrutiny. The starting point of dogma is quite the opposite of science; believe what you're told and do not question.

Rereading the above makes me sound like some kind of evangelical fundamentalist atheist, which I guess I am, but if you choose religion then that's fine by me; you won't get me shouting at you how I'm right and you're wrong.

Not me. I was raised as a Catholic but now i'm an Atheist and believe in Science.

And why can't God and Science be the same thing?

Well there's no scientific evidence that he does exists,

Look at your computer (just an example). That got there just by mere chance. Noone created it, it wasn't designed. It just ended up there. That's what Darwin et all tells us.

Not me. I was raised as a Catholic but now i'm an Atheist and believe in Science.

Look at your computer (just an example). That got there just by mere chance. Noone created it, it wasn't designed. It just ended up there. That's what Darwin et all tells us.

No i got it from PC World. :D

The reason I raised this thread is some Jehovahs knocked my door today and when I told them I was Atheist they looked at me as if I was the Devil himself.

Sure, why not? If I was to believe that when I die I simply cease to exist well it's fairly depressing really. So just like I believe that someday Villa can once again be the dominant force in world football. That no matter how unlikely Jessica Alba will one day sleep with me. In the same respects I believe that the loved ones who I never got to say goodbye to are somehow waiting to meet me in the end. That I will have a chance to make ammends for my bad deeds and be rewarded for my good ones. That there is a God who believes in me when nobody else does.

Sometimes it's better to believe than not.

Put it this way if you fell asleep and had a dream that you were playing for Villa at Wembley and just scored the only goal with minutes left on the clock, would you want someone to pinch you or would you prefer to continue the dream?

No i got it from PC World.

Yea, PC world just popped out of the ground too (after x-million years ofc). No-one built it.

because the text faith is based upon contradicts science in about 1000 different ways, and which faith is the "true" god?

only one of the religon's is correct, so which one?

(big brother voice)

Ewe Decide!

Oh Christ....if we leave it for the sheep to decide we'll really be ****!

;)

Pretty much, yeah, and they are most likely correct.

????...

I can't argue with dumb sorry :(

Guest Ricardomeister

If God created the world then who created God?....at some point it had to start from nothing. I would say I am agnostic as I have seen no proper evidence either way.

No i got it from PC World.

Yea, PC world just popped out of the ground too (after x-million years ofc). No-one built it.

And you think "Someone" "Built" the earth? No matter what the best scientific theory tells you about gravity and orbits?

yeah, lets argue about god!

God and science aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Personally, I believe in both - but I don't trust scientists and I don't take 2,000 year old written religious text, re written, translated, updated, rewritten again as necessarily exactly what god said.

I do not believe in God or Gods. I am definitely an atheist.

I have very recently become sceptical with the concept of evolution though. I cannot conceive how such intricate things such as the working brain can occur through chance, or how that chance even comes about. The sheer complexity of the mind and neurons firing, chemical balances, nerve and muscle control, control of systems and motor skills....I just cant get my head around it.

Thats not to say i am jumping over to creationism either, just that i think it's a bit of a mystery still.

Pretty much, yeah, and they are most likely correct.

????...

I can't argue with dumb sorry :(

Dumb? Is there any need for that?

I don't even know what your argument is?

My point was, that according to Darwins theory WE are here by natural selection. Natural selection relies very heavily on chance. If we weren't here, there would be no PC. There would be no calling anyone dumb on the internet. Hence, everything we see around us, even the eyes we use to see with is here due to that same selection process.

If God created the world then who created God?....at some point it had to start from nothing. I would say I am agnostic as I have seen no proper evidence either way.

Ahhhhh, but that same argument could be used for scientific theory. Where did the big bang come from? There must have been something before for that theory to work.

Forget the universe itself, where did space itself come from?

Â