The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I'm quietly hopeful about Man of Steel. It looks fantastic and it's had 2 good trailers now (the first is better, I think, genuinely has everything). My worry is it's Snyder, and he has always thrown together great trailers and he's always done the look of things of well.

All superheroes are daft concepts. The mark of a good superhero movie and a good story is that you forget how daft it is, or you stop caring how daft it is and jump on for the ride (something Marvel, besides the Iron Man films (which aren't as daft in concept - it's a bloke in an armoured suit, done), has been quite good at. The Avengers is so absurdly dumb it shouldn't be enjoyable at all... but it really, really is). Superman I've never been a great fan, because he's quite terribly dull thanks to all the powers he's given (and also thanks to a certain amount of his mythology - for example the S on the chest having meaning on his home world - sorry guys, **** off) but the fact I actually am interested in this suggests they're doing something right.

The first Star Trek Into Darkness teaser dropped the other day as well. It's very JJ Abrams. Benedict Cumberbatch, being British and having the most posh British name on the planet, is playing 'the Villain' of course. No confirmation on who that is but fan boys the world over are convinced it's either Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!! or some other baddie form the original Star Trek series who's name escapes me. Either way, it's left me somewhat cold.

I'm quietly hopeful about Man of Steel. It looks fantastic and it's had 2 good trailers now (the first is better, I think, genuinely has everything).

The first is better cos it used the music from LOTR :)

Finally saw Dark Knight Rises...pretty disappointed, really. The bad guy was kind of a joke, the fight scenes were not very good, the dialogue was corny, and the plot was standard action movie stuff-

*SPOILER*

A nuclear bomb set to go off by marauding bad guys living in the sewers, miraculously collected by Batman and flown out to sea where it exploded, but Batman survived...give me a break.

Batman Begins was the jewel of the three films, the other two were very mediocre, IMO.

Gary Oldman is maybe the most under appreciated actors out there, he played a terrific Commish Gordon

*SPOILER*

A nuclear bomb set to go off my marauding bad guys living in the sewers, miraculously collected by Batman and flown out to sea where it exploded, but Batman survived...give me a break.

He ejected

The first Star Trek Into Darkness teaser dropped the other day as well. It's very JJ Abrams. Benedict Cumberbatch, being British and having the most posh British name on the planet, is playing 'the Villain' of course. No confirmation on who that is but fan boys the world over are convinced it's either Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!! or some other baddie form the original Star Trek series who's name escapes me.

Landru?

Assuming the Justice League film happens they may have to cast Aquaman so you may be in luck.

Being more of a DC man (well, little boy) than Marvel, I would probably watch a Justice League film.

Just under two hours until the 'Pacific Rim' trailer is released. I can't wait for this one and it's probably my most anticipated film of 2013. Big fan of Guillermo del Toro. Unfortunately I'm shattered so will have to watch it in the morning, although I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Some viral material here if anyone is interested (including the countdown).

Off to see 'The Hobbit' tomorrow after work too and am looking forward to it. I'm expecting it to be a bit dragged out as I'm one of the people that thinks three films is far too many. It could have easily been done in one film (or two max). Plus I would have preferred del Toro staying at the helm. Oh well, it should be pretty interesting seeing the 48fps in motion on an IMAX screen too...

Â