The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I think it looks quite good and am a fan of 'Midnight in Paris', although I'm still annoyed that it hasn't been released on Blu-Ray here in England. Plus the American version isn't region free. I've got it on DVD, yet I really want it on Blu-Ray...

Cool video made from 'Rear Window'. It's very impressive and this is what it's all about:

Jeff Desom built a sort of 3D digital model of the apartment courtyard from Alfred Hitchcock‘s film Rear Window, and then composited all the events seen from the window of Jimmy Stewart‘s apartment into a single shot that covers a couple days and nights. It’s like watching the film play out if you were the person who lived next to or above Stewart’s character, and it is a surprisingly beautiful way to look at the film.

Also, here's another trailer for The Avengers.

Have got Tintin and Super 8 to watch over the weekend (bit of a Spielberg special - may have to dig out The Goonies or Indianna Jones to top it off!) - are they any good?

I re-watched Raiders of the Lost Ark because I was disappointed with War Horse and Tintin. Raiders might be the most entertaining film ever made. The only thing that bothers me about it is the submarine part near the end.

Have got Tintin and Super 8 to watch over the weekend (bit of a Spielberg special - may have to dig out The Goonies or Indianna Jones to top it off!) - are they any good?

Super 8 is perfectly fine but you'll either love it or hate it for how much it's a homage to Spielbergs 80s sci fi and kids adventure films. The entire thing is dripping with memories of things like ET, to a lesser extent Close Encounters, etc etc. I found it slightly annoying - it's a effectively a photocopy of a collage of Spielberg work, right down to pinching, completely, his fascination with strained father son relationships. If you want to watch a film with that kind of feel and atmosphere, you'll love it (perhaps a little less so in the final 20 mins or so - it all goes a little wonky). You may also find the lens flare really annoying.

Tintin on the other hand, I found to be a really nice gentle family film. You have to settle into the way it looks, which might take a while (the characters move like real people, of course, but don't look real with the bulbous faces and tiny eyes, but then are 'drawn' to such high quality they still manage a little of the uncanny valley effect - it's odd), but then you settle in for a turn your brain off adventure. It moves a little slowly at times and has an obvious structure - plot exposition, chase, plot exposition, action scene, plot exposition, chase - and also seems to be at pains to point out everything like it assumes you can't follow the plot, but for all that it's just nice entertainment. Has some very broad family humour, some great action sequences, looks great... it's a good watch imo.

Cool video made from 'Rear Window'. It's very impressive and this is what it's all about:

Jeff Desom built a sort of 3D digital model of the apartment courtyard from Alfred Hitchcock‘s film Rear Window, and then composited all the events seen from the window of Jimmy Stewart‘s apartment into a single shot that covers a couple days and nights. It’s like watching the film play out if you were the person who lived next to or above Stewart’s character, and it is a surprisingly beautiful way to look at the film.
How the hell... That is excellently done. And great music too :)

Super 8 is perfectly fine but you'll either love it or hate it for how much it's a homage to Spielbergs 80s sci fi and kids adventure films. The entire thing is dripping with memories of things like ET, to a lesser extent Close Encounters, etc etc. I found it slightly annoying - it's a effectively a photocopy of a collage of Spielberg work, right down to pinching, completely, his fascination with strained father son relationships. If you want to watch a film with that kind of feel and atmosphere, you'll love it (perhaps a little less so in the final 20 mins or so - it all goes a little wonky). You may also find the lens flare really annoying.

Tintin on the other hand, I found to be a really nice gentle family film. You have to settle into the way it looks, which might take a while (the characters move like real people, of course, but don't look real with the bulbous faces and tiny eyes, but then are 'drawn' to such high quality they still manage a little of the uncanny valley effect - it's odd), but then you settle in for a turn your brain off adventure. It moves a little slowly at times and has an obvious structure - plot exposition, chase, plot exposition, action scene, plot exposition, chase - and also seems to be at pains to point out everything like it assumes you can't follow the plot, but for all that it's just nice entertainment. Has some very broad family humour, some great action sequences, looks great... it's a good watch imo.

I re-watched Raiders of the Lost Ark because I was disappointed with War Horse and Tintin. Raiders might be the most entertaining film ever made. The only thing that bothers me about it is the submarine part near the end.

Cheers both - was raised on 80s Spielberg films so Super 8 should be right up my street!!!

As for Tin-Tin, will sit down with my 6yr old boy to watch!

Saw The Hunger Games last night.

Really enjoyed it. Thought it was a bit slow to get going but the stuff was all necessary. But yeahI thought it was very well done and a lot of emotions all mixed into one.

Hope (and assume they will) continue the trilogy.

Also, my Dad enjoyed it too, and he's read the books. Said they stuck pretty truly to them.

As for the comparisons to Battle Royale, they're certainly extremeley similar concepts. But two very different films. Hunger Games is as much about the build up and training for the event as it is about the event itself.

Liked it though, would definitely recommend

Just watched The Outsiders (revised version). Excellent.

Good movie but of the two S.E Hinton stories I prefer Rumblefish. It was one of the movies that made me look at film in an entirely different way.

It also contains one of the greatest entrances (The Motorcycle Boy) in movie history imo. I f***ing love that scene.

Two films this weekend - Anonymous and Melancholia. Enjoyed them both. Though the Von Trier owed a huge amount to Tarkovsky (especially The Sacrifice).

watched headhunters, thought it was good, a bit surprised by the bits of humour in it but it worked, took a while to work out it was jamie lannister too! i think the fact that it was norwegian threw me

also rewatched thor, i like it, threw up some questions that i dont expect to be answered in the avengers, such as how they both get back and what they are doing with natalie portman who afaik isnt in avengers at all although the male scientist is, i know they ahve announced thor 2 too but IMO it hasnt got the legs

Finally watched We Need to Talk About Kevin. I’d heard it was rough but what the bloodclaat, a harsh oppressive film. Best film I’ve seen in a while.

There are a lot of tomatoes in it.

Watched A Lonely Place to Die last night, really wouldnt bother with it, its bitty, mostly poorly acted and a fairly poor ending. How it manages 76% on RT is right up there with how did the pyramids get built.

Â