The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

35 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Yeah I'd read there was one so I stayed to watch it.

Hide contents

Hoffman 😎

Spoiler

Was wondering if hoffman would make a appearance in this one. Was good to see him back as he is a rutheless ****

Saw 11 i would imagine will focus on their relationship how they begun woeking together 

I did like the line "of all the people to try scam you chose john kramer" great

Im hoping saw 11 will tie lose ends for cecilia as they cant just leave it like this with her considering she knows who he is. She has die and in a brutal way. I mean when you watch saw 6 and see how brutal the death was for the insurance guy who turned him down how can she get away with not being properly tested ehen what she did was even worse?

• Like 1

Elvis - im not an elvis fan but have wanted to see this since it came out, its ok, the lead is brilliant, it looks great, I like the way they used technology to put the actor in real footage, for someone who has no knowledge of him it puts it all together well, there are moments that are tinged with real sadness and the performance of suspicious minds is superb....but it has problems, mainly its overwhelming, it covers too much making big jumps, hanks IMO is like a cartoonish villain and having never heard Parkers voice before the film opening with some guff about being a snowman is instantly off putting, seeing as the film tries to cover so much they also give too much time to him

transformers rise of the beasts - wasn't as bad as some of the other transformers films but they still don't really make any sense, things go bang because they can, the fight scenes aren't as messy as they once were but there's no reason to care about any of it, this is why people shouldnt moan about marvel, far worse films out there

19 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Yeah I'd read there was one so I stayed to watch it.

Hide contents

Hoffman 😎

Yep, it's always easy to tell if there is a mid/end credits scene because the lights stay off in the cinema 

I enjoyed saw X, definitely one of the better in the franchise and it's actually got me wanting to go back and revisit them all. 

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

Yep, it's always easy to tell if there is a mid/end credits scene because the lights stay off in the cinema 

I enjoyed saw X, definitely one of the better in the franchise and it's actually got me wanting to go back and revisit them all. 

What did you think of the ending  lee? 

Just watched my big fat greek wedding 3- ok they need to stop with these films now as this ones really bad.

As a greek i can honestly say i dont want to imagine they made this one as its so bad. The jokes are bad, the storylines bad and alot of 'greek' they try to potray in this film isnt greek!

Stop making them! 😂

Exorcist believer...why the **** did I bother, The Exorcist is my favourite movie of all time, I probably watch it about 6 times a year, I've read the book at least 10 times and have an original copy along with a £50 hardback copy, this film was only ever going to boil my piss.

Spoiler

In the original film, Regan is the child who is possessed, we learn a hell of a lot about her in a short time, she's a happy, intelligent, funny, cheeky and inquisitive child, she loves art, she draws and paints, she sculpts models, the pictures that we see show what an impressive imagination she has got, she has a strong bond with her Mom, you get to know the character naturally just through watching.

Now compare that to the kids out of Exorcist: The Beginning, Angela (I had to wiki her name because I'd forgot it the second the film had finished)....she goes to school and she doesn't eat meat after watching a documentary, she has a friend called Catherine...I honestly can't say any more about her because there wasn't anything else to her character other than that, the second girl that gets possessed, Catherine, well...she is Angela's friend, that's it, they are the characters.

I hated the way that the whole premise of this is that there are girls possessed at the same time yet they only focus on one of them, neither character had any development and did nothing to help you feel any affinity towards them but Catherine was a complete side character.

As for the actual demonic versions of the girls Angela goes from looking like a normal girl to looking like a cross between Keiffer Sutherland from The Lost Boys and a Kilgon, Catherine just decides to wake up and look like a badly dehydrated version of the dude that pretends he needs a wheelchair in Little Britain.

In the original we get to see Regan initially playing with Captain Howdy and her possession is slow, it is great fun re-watching the original and trying to figure out when Regan is herself and when she is being manipulated by Pazuzu, in this, girls go missing come back possessed, Angela actually teleports into the bathroom where Dad is just seconds after he has put her to bed, I did think that the scene in the church with Catherine started off well, when she is fidgeting and restless, that was done really well, then seconds later she pops up out of nowhere covered in blood (its actually wine) and screaming nonsense in a demonic voice, there just wasn't any feeling of time passing, it just felt far too sudden.

As for the Exorcism itself...Jesus, what a shit show, lets just get the whole neighbourhood involved, and lets throw in a witchdoctor type person, a baptist and a preacher just for good measure, oh the Catholic Priest, don't worry about him, he's a pussy and we are going to kill him off 30 seconds after the exorcism begins, it just felt like they had absolutely no plan whatsoever, I mean the whole thing pins all of its hopes on a random neighbour who is religious.

There were plenty of callbacks to the original that just didn't land, the return of Chris MacNeil was wasted and just didn't feel like the original character, actually, I say it was wasted, I just don't think it was needed, it was literally a case of "lets bring back a legacy character" for shits and giggles

There was some batshit crazy stuff that goes on as well, the Dad of Angela gets home to find that his neighbour has broke into his house with a witchdoctor and a few other random people to bless the house, all that the Dad does is politely asks them to get out.

I know I am literally comparing absolutely everything to the original but there were so many nods to the original that it is hard not to, you can't hold it as a stand alone film because it is constantly reminding you of the far superior original.

They tried at one point to copy the split second flashes of the demon but instead of doing it like the original it throws it on scream with a great big WAAHHH noise which just wasn't necessary.

Finally, if any of you watch it, when you see Chris lying in bed with her eyes all bandaged up I defy you to not think of David Bowie from the Blackstar music video

David Bowie - Lazarus (Video) - YouTube

Lets just say that I wasn't a massive fan

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Exorcist believer...why the **** did I bother, The Exorcist is my favourite movie of all time, I probably watch it about 6 times a year, I've read the book at least 10 times and have an original copy along with a £50 hardback copy, this film was only ever going to boil my piss.

Hide contents

In the original film, Regan is the child who is possessed, we learn a hell of a lot about her in a short time, she's a happy, intelligent, funny, cheeky and inquisitive child, she loves art, she draws and paints, she sculpts models, the pictures that we see show what an impressive imagination she has got, she has a strong bond with her Mom, you get to know the character naturally just through watching.

Now compare that to the kids out of Exorcist: The Beginning, Angela (I had to wiki her name because I'd forgot it the second the film had finished)....she goes to school and she doesn't eat meat after watching a documentary, she has a friend called Catherine...I honestly can't say any more about her because there wasn't anything else to her character other than that, the second girl that gets possessed, Catherine, well...she is Angela's friend, that's it, they are the characters.

I hated the way that the whole premise of this is that there are girls possessed at the same time yet they only focus on one of them, neither character had any development and did nothing to help you feel any affinity towards them but Catherine was a complete side character.

As for the actual demonic versions of the girls Angela goes from looking like a normal girl to looking like a cross between Keiffer Sutherland from The Lost Boys and a Kilgon, Catherine just decides to wake up and look like a badly dehydrated version of the dude that pretends he needs a wheelchair in Little Britain.

In the original we get to see Regan initially playing with Captain Howdy and her possession is slow, it is great fun re-watching the original and trying to figure out when Regan is herself and when she is being manipulated by Pazuzu, in this, girls go missing come back possessed, Angela actually teleports into the bathroom where Dad is just seconds after he has put her to bed, I did think that the scene in the church with Catherine started off well, when she is fidgeting and restless, that was done really well, then seconds later she pops up out of nowhere covered in blood (its actually wine) and screaming nonsense in a demonic voice, there just wasn't any feeling of time passing, it just felt far too sudden.

As for the Exorcism itself...Jesus, what a shit show, lets just get the whole neighbourhood involved, and lets throw in a witchdoctor type person, a baptist and a preacher just for good measure, oh the Catholic Priest, don't worry about him, he's a pussy and we are going to kill him off 30 seconds after the exorcism begins, it just felt like they had absolutely no plan whatsoever, I mean the whole thing pins all of its hopes on a random neighbour who is religious.

There were plenty of callbacks to the original that just didn't land, the return of Chris MacNeil was wasted and just didn't feel like the original character, actually, I say it was wasted, I just don't think it was needed, it was literally a case of "lets bring back a legacy character" for shits and giggles

There was some batshit crazy stuff that goes on as well, the Dad of Angela gets home to find that his neighbour has broke into his house with a witchdoctor and a few other random people to bless the house, all that the Dad does is politely asks them to get out.

I know I am literally comparing absolutely everything to the original but there were so many nods to the original that it is hard not to, you can't hold it as a stand alone film because it is constantly reminding you of the far superior original.

They tried at one point to copy the split second flashes of the demon but instead of doing it like the original it throws it on scream with a great big WAAHHH noise which just wasn't necessary.

Finally, if any of you watch it, when you see Chris lying in bed with her eyes all bandaged up I defy you to not think of David Bowie from the Blackstar music video

David Bowie - Lazarus (Video) - YouTube

Lets just say that I wasn't a massive fan

It actually managed to be even worse than I feared Lee. I should have stuck to my guns and not gone to see it.

The only decent movie DG Green has made is Halloween 2018 which I thought was really **** good. But that turned out to be one of the falsest of dawns in cinematic history. He's a hack and I hope he never gets his mitts on another beloved horror franchise.

I'm going to try and erase it from my memory now. All you need is the original and part 3 and you're all set.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

It actually managed to be even worse than I feared Lee. I should have stuck to my guns and not gone to see it.

The only decent movie DG Green has made is Halloween 2018 which I thought was really **** good. But that turned out to be one of the falsest of dawns in cinematic history. He's a hack and I hope he never gets his mitts on another beloved horror franchise.

I'm going to try and erase it from my memory now. All you need is the original and part 3 and you're all set.

Just like Paul Anderson, somehow they always get one.

• Like 1

On 07/10/2023 at 14:28, Designer1 said:

I can't stop thinking about Believer, David Gordon **** Green has an awful lot to answer for, I've just put the original on to purge my brain of that rubbish I watched yesterday.

There is every chance I'll nod off at some point during this though as I had a few cans while the Villa were playing and now I feel sluggish.

Friedkin called it (I imagine if he had lived to see it, we'd be getting a takedown more savage than him body-checking Refn mid-interview).

"Ed, the guy who made those new Halloween sequels is about to make one to my movie, the Exorcist. That's right, my signature film is about to be extended by the man who made Pineapple Express. I don't want to be around when that happens. But if there's a spirit world, and I can come back, I plan to possess David Gordon Green and make his life a living hell."

Does warm my heart a bit that Burstyn saw the shit for what it was and had the wherewithal to milk the studio for a bumper payout.  Curiosity got the better of me, but thankfully not so far as parting with physical currency to watch Believer, as I'd have been livid.  Hell, even with Exorcist II at least you could laugh at parts of it.  Nope, just another Exorcist film made by people who seemingly have no idea what actually makes The Exorcist a great film.  Cynical, tired and utterly devoid of value. 

On 07/10/2023 at 14:28, Designer1 said:

All you need is the original and part 3 and you're all set.

I'd personally throw the TV adaptation in there as well.  Very well done, particularly the second season.  And a shout out to The Entity as a completely separate but absolutely worthwhile watch.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1

Â