The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

oooh - what did you think Mike?

I've had that one for ages - when I went and splurged a load about 4 years ago on the catalogue of the director Jean Pierre Melville - that's one of a couple I haven't got round to.

I've had that one for ages - when I went and splurged a load about 4 years ago on the catalogue of the director Jean Pierre Melville - that's one of a couple I haven't got round to.

I'm in the same boat - got Godard, Tarkovsky and Melville box-sets in the last 6 months and have hardly had time to watch any of them.

oooh - what did you think Mike?

Funnily enough, I recently bought the Melville box set, and it's the first one I've watched.

I enjoyed it. Very stylish, very French 1950s noir, and clearly the inspiration (along with Rififi and The Asphalt Jungle) for virtually every heist movie since. But with a rather significant difference, which I won't give away.

One of the best last lines ever, too.

I'm in the same boat - got Godard, Tarkovsky and Melville box-sets in the last 6 months and have hardly had time to watch any of them.

Snap, snap and snap. I have also bought those three boxes. So far watched one Melville (Bob), one Godard (Le Mépris) and no Tarkovskys (although I have already seen most of them years ago).

EDIT: Just ordered a Truffaut set as well!

ah excellent - shall try and make some more room in my schedule ( not difficult! ) my introduction to Melville was through L'armee des Ombres ( Army of Shadows ) which was a film on the resistance which was fantastic - hope that was in your box sets. Le Silence de la Mer is another resistance film but so differently done - based on the war resistance piece by Vercors -which i can also recommend - though that was one of his early ones iiirc and different from the stylised films he did afterwards.

Saw 'One Day' the other night. I thought it was quite good to be honest. The two leads were very good in it. The film itaelf was a bit clunky at times but overall it was nicely done. It did look a little like a fashion shoot throughout, yet that didn't bother ne too much. I do think it should have ended about 15-20 minutes earlier than it did though.

Oh, don't bother seeing it if you can't stand romance films. This ones gets extremely soppy near the end.

Another shout out for source code, really great film that took me by surprise as it really wasnt what i was expecting at all. A guy on the extras described it perfectly, its groundhog day, speed and deja vu all rolled into one. Brilliant film. From the guy who made Moon.

Oh and Vera Farmiga looks at her absolute best here. I think im in love with her.

Good shout actually. I'm only going for her in 'The Departed' because she looked brilliant in that Harvard t-shirt.

verafarmiga1.jpg

On another note I'm really looking forward to the coming months as there are a few good films coming out. These three are the ones I have been waiting for the most though:

tinker-tailor-soldier-spy-movie-poster-2011-1010709879.jpg

You can watch the trailer here.

drive-movie-poster.jpg

the-ides-of-march-movie-poster-2011-1010711042.jpg

Really looking forward to Drive and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

Some other promising looking films imo are:-

Contagion by Steven Soderbergh.

The Skin I Live In by Pedro Almodovar. Already getting rave reviews.

A Lonely Place to Die by Julian Gilbey. Out this week.

Recently Watched: -

Win Win:- Really disappointed by this, I'm a Paul Giamatti fan but found this really boring.

Horrible Bosses:- Funny in parts, Kevin Spacey was great as usual.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas:- Brilliant, one of my favourite films of recent times. Such a powerful ending!

71boVqCsSPL._AA1133_.jpg

Very much a Marmite movie.

Slow, very sparse dialogue and no 'Hollywood' ending. I enjoyed it mostly due to the John Ford inspired cinematography and the solid cast including the always excellent Shirley Henderson, Paul Dano and Michelle Williams.

Recently Watched: -

Win Win:- Really disappointed by this, I'm a Paul Giamatti fan but found this really boring.

Horrible Bosses:- Funny in parts, Kevin Spacey was great as usual.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas:- Brilliant, one of my favourite films of recent times. Such a powerful ending!

I really liked 'Win Win'. I thought it was amusing and that it tugged at the heart strings in the right measure.

I watched 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' for about 20 minutes the other night when it was on TV before turning it off. I just found it too be very dull in all honesty and I wasn't convinced at all by the film as a whole.

I agree about 'Horrible Bosses'. It was quite funny for the most part and Jennifer Aniston as the horny boss is something special. :D

Â