The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Anyone with access to MUBI (its on ps3) should check out a couple of short films which are free to watch.

Sangam

Alice in Wonderland (1903)

Both are utterly fascinating, Sangam just because its a culture clash between two people of the same heritage and AiW just because its the first on screen version and its amazing to see how these films were made during the absolute birth of cinema.

Also, has anyone got the animated disney Alice in Wonderland? what is the transfer quality like? Worth getting? Childrens film, Ghey etc.....

Just got back from Hangover 2 .. bits were tears of laughter funny ,other bits were ok and some was a bit Meh

the photos at the end though had me in tears ... my mate and I were the only 2 laughing at the pin pong ball gag though , guess nobody else in the cinema has been to Thailand :-)

When I was a kid I used to read all those Marvel superhero comics, but I haven't seen ANY of the films. Probably because I'm not a kid any more.

I'm surprised they haven't done Sgt Fury yet (although Inglourious Basterds was pretty much that).

They are making literally anything that was ever a comic book into a movie these days. I can only say the only comic book movies I'd describe as very good are the two nolan batman movies. That's only made possible because batman has no super powers. He's just a ninja with a mask in nolans movies.

I just feel like you that the rest of comic book movies are just a bit silly and childish. They're just not for me. Similarly horror movies, in general, I just don't get them.

I'm hoping this comic book movie fad dies out soon. But I fear they'll reboot everything soon.

I'm certainly hoping for The 'Nam: The Movie

The_%27Nam_Vol_1_15.jpg

402718.1020.A.jpg

The King of Kong, docu-film about guys competing to get the highest score on the original Donkey Kong and in particular one guys struggle to topple the so-called 'champion' and the official point scoring team who he is in cahoots with.

When I was a kid I used to read all those Marvel superhero comics, but I haven't seen ANY of the films. Probably because I'm not a kid any more.

I'm surprised they haven't done Sgt Fury yet (although Inglourious Basterds was pretty much that).

They are making literally anything that was ever a comic book into a movie these days. I can only say the only comic book movies I'd describe as very good are the two nolan batman movies. That's only made possible because batman has no super powers. He's just a ninja with a mask in nolans movies.

I just feel like you that the rest of comic book movies are just a bit silly and childish. They're just not for me. Similarly horror movies, in general, I just don't get them.

I'm hoping this comic book movie fad dies out soon. But I fear they'll reboot everything soon.

I agree that they are making too many comic book films these days. They just seem to be putting everything out there. I was a fan of comics growing up though and I am loving some of the films that have been released. I'm not sure why everyone seems to think that the Batman films are the only good ones though (although Dark Knight especially is a very good film). Sure, there has been a lot of garbage out lately, yet amongst that there have been some gems.

Hellboy (both parts), Watchmen (purely for the visuals if nothing else), Scott Pilgrim, Spider-Man 2, Thor and X-Men 2 have been the standouts for me. There are others yet these have been the ones I think have just worked for one reason or another.

First trailer up for the

big screen adaptation.

It's got a bloody fantastic cast - Gary Oldman, Tom Hardy, Colin Firth, Mark Strong, Benedict Cumberbatch, Stephen Graham, John Hurt. Looking forward to it, nice that they've kept it to the original period setting too.

Went to see Transformers: Dark of the Moon yesterday

Absolutely loved it, pure cheese, pure action and exceptional cgi, the best thing about it was the fact that it had a decipherable story and alot of the stupid jock humour from the first two films are all but gone save for 5 minutes of Ken Jeong's predictable schtick and a weird cameo from John Malkovich.

A few surprise twists and turns help alot aswell, its never gonna be more than a cheesy summer popcorn flick but youll have a lot of fun while watching. My eyes actually felt tired after it finished due to the amount of action and also due to the exceptional use of 3d, probably the first film that has used it to its full potential and it blows avatar's 3d out of the water.

It has thankfully helped erase the travesty of the second film from my mind.

I realise 90% of people and alot of TF purists will think its absolute trash but i love it, take it for what it is and just enjoy the spectacle.

Absolutely loved it, pure cheese, pure action and exceptional cgi, the best thing about it was the fact that it had a decipherable story and alot of the stupid jock humour from the first two films are all but gone save for 5 minutes of Ken Jeong's predictable schtick and a weird cameo from John Malkovich.

A few surprise twists and turns help alot aswell, its never gonna be more than a cheesy summer popcorn flick but youll have a lot of fun while watching. My eyes actually felt tired after it finished due to the amount of action and also due to the exceptional use of 3d, probably the first film that has used it to its full potential and it blows avatar's 3d out of the water.

I realise 90% of people and alot of TF purists will think its absolute trash but i love it, take it for what it is and just enjoy the spectacle.

IMAX 3D tomorrow for this baby yeeaaahhhh

I dont give a short sharp shiny shit what people say I love the first two transformers films, they are what they are, mindless idiotic popcorn flicks about giant robots fighting each other and trying to save the earth

and it just so happens that them giant fighting robots are MOTHER **** TRANSFORMERS MOTHER ****

which makes the films amazing...though im still extremely dissapointed that there is no sign of hotrod

Just watched "The Believer"

good performance from Ryan Gosling not so powerful as say American history X but arguably more intellectual ..

loved the ending very interesting concept

mindless idiotic popcorn flicks

For mindless idiots.

couldnt agree more but everyone is aloud a few hours everynow and again to forget how old they actually are

I'm reading from the same page. So why not go and watch a brilliant nostalgia-tinged film or a great film from your childhood instead.

Rather than watch shit films made by shit filmmakers encouraging said shit filmmakers to make more shit films.

mindless idiotic popcorn flicks

For mindless idiots.

couldnt agree more but everyone is aloud a few hours everynow and again to forget how old they actually are

I'm reading from the same page. So why not go and watch a brilliant nostalgia-tinged film or a great film from your childhood instead.

Rather than watch shit films made by shit filmmakers encouraging said shit filmmakers to make more shit films.

Because everyone needs a guilty pleasure? Variety? Maybe they like transformers so have a vested interest in the subject matter?

If you just watched nothing but thought provoking films or what everyone else told you to watch it would be boring as ****.

As it happens, transformers 2 is mindless shit, one of the worst films ive ever seen, but the first one and the latest one are decent action films.

sharp shiny shit

Good review.

Watched suckerpunch tonight.

If you can ignore the worst narrator voice over at the start and end in film history and put the entire plot and storyline of the movie to one side it's not that bad.....

However the 4 'scences' where she goes into the fantasy world and battles samurai, dragons, nazi zombies and robots are bloody amazing. Worth buying the film for those 4 bits alone.

it blows avatar's 3d out of the water.

I highly doubt that. Whilst not being a fan of 3D and not the biggest fan of Avatar, it remains one of the most stunning films ever made. Plus it is the only film that has really used 3D to its highest potential. Perhaps the 3D in Transformers may be good, yet I highly doubt it is better than that used in Avatar.

Â