The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

First Dr Strange reactions are out.

Praise for the visuals, action, characters and music (which is very unusual for Marvel - only Cap has had a vaguely recognisable bit of music to date). The humour has had some praise but also criticism that it sits uneasily with the other elements of the film (not a shocker as it's an open secret they added loads of jokes in a last minute rewrite) and that it's clear they are positioning Strange to replace Stark when RDJ calls it a day soon.

Main criticism seems to be it suffers from the usual Marvel problems (presumably they're going to waste the villain again :( and that also probably confirms there's nothing major 'behind' MMads' Kaecilius, which I'd have bet good money on) and the pacing is all over the place, not a shock when it's one of the shortest on the MCU and is acting as an origin for a whole new element to the series.

My tickets are booked, and still looking forward to, if nothing else, a visual feast. I've seen a few clips that hint at the Star gate section of 2001 which can't be a bad thing...

The Accountant last night

a bit more intelligent then yer Bourne type films ... not sure if that was a good or a bad thing though , sometimes I could have just done with a bit more mindless violence

Worth a watch though

Got round to watching The Revenant last night. Watching so long after the fact meant I could go into it without all the Oscar hype and whatnot clouding any judgement of it. I have to say it's one of the most immersive films I've seen. 

Relentless, harsh, cold, dirty and bleak but beautiful. I've never felt more helpless watching a film than when Glass is strapped down watching that Fitzgerald and Hawk moment without being able to do anything. It was horrible. 

It is definitely a part of my personal top 10 films. I loved everything about it and it's possibly the most gorgeous film I've ever watched despite the blood and misery but I guess watching it in 4K with hdr helps. Some of the shots, oh man, the river crossing at the cliff, with the hole in the ice and the rapids escape. Glorious.

One of the best films I've personally ever seen.

10/10.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

Enjoyed District 9 last night. Obvious parable is obvious, but very effective. I also didn't realise there was a version of the film with subtitles for the aliens, which seems unnecessary as you can infer their behaviour sufficiently well without it, and only adds to the value of it all. Worked well asking you to have sympathy for a complete tool, too. 

On 20/10/2016 at 14:18, VillaForever1970 said:

This looks impressive, partly because it has one of the greatest songs ever written over it :)

That's a bloody good trailer. Astonishingly good for the Xmen series.

Please be that good when it's done.

Old Man Logan meets Last of Us meets a bit of a Mad Max style world... That could be awesome.

Also could out be more blatant that

Spoiler

the girl is X23, given Jackman is rumoured to be leaving the role and the story seems to hint at the replication of the Weapon X programme, and that Wolverine will die?

Please be good. I'd love a really good Wolverine movie, even if it's just a weird future one shot version.

Just watched the latest turtles film to be a kid again. It was good that they had rocksteady, be-bop (even with their trikes) and Krang as the brain in the robot suit. And of course Miss Fox was looking absolutely stunning (when she puts on the tartan skirt.. Wow!) As expected not a great film though 

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 14:18, VillaForever1970 said:

This looks impressive, partly because it has one of the greatest songs ever written over it :)

Yes Trent Reznor, one of my favs

Edited by PaulC

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

That's a bloody good trailer. Astonishingly good for the Xmen series.

Please be that good when it's done.

Old Man Logan meets Last of Us meets a bit of a Mad Max style world... That could be awesome.

Also could out be more blatant that

Reveal hidden contents

the girl is X23, given Jackman is rumoured to be leaving the role and the story seems to hint at the replication of the Weapon X programme, and that Wolverine will die?

Please be good. I'd love a really good Wolverine movie, even if it's just a weird future one shot version.

What's the time line in this? Isn't Wolverine meant to be really old? How can professor X be alive but others gone?

Â