The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

5 hours ago, BOF said:

Haha, Rodders is looking forward to Spy.

Heh. To be fair i thought the female ghostbusters and Melissa McCartht was funny enough, if flawed, and I heard some good recommendations for it from somewhere else so we'll see!

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Yep that's the one.

The whole thing is utterly amazing. The way the conversation begins, and then the shift of power between the two of them is brilliantly written and acted. I just love the hell out of it.

I kind of thought that him arriving in the clown car removed any semblance of intimidation from the situation. I can't for the life of me understand why they did that as it was so out of place with the rest of the movie.

5 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Well Dead Mans Shoes is one of Shane's best and imo one of the best British movies of all time.

It also contains my favourite scene in a movie ever, so yeah not a bad place to start :)

which one mate. the one where he has sonny "in his hand"? by any chance?

that film. just.... magic. some of the dialog is entirely improvised too#

edit just read Xela's post. that scene is amazing. just from the off YEAH IT WAS ME

you cant beat a bit of paddy

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Designer1 said:

If you know people that haven't seen Dead Man's Shoes then you know the wrong people.

And to be honest, kill list and old boy are hardly obscure oddities :)

told you mate, I recommend films to people down here and no one has heard of the bottom 3 on that list.

30 minutes ago, villakram said:

I kind of thought that him arriving in the clown car removed any semblance of intimidation from the situation. I can't for the life of me understand why they did that as it was so out of place with the rest of the movie.

The entire point being that they were small time bullies (especially Sonny) and the fact they drive around in such a ridiculous car was there to emphasise that, which it did perfectly. 

Basically, none of them were up to dealing with such a force of serious vengeance that Richard embodied. 

The scene with Sonny and Richard was a perfect illustration of that. Sonny begins the scene reasonably confident and that is quickly eroded by Richards manner and matter of fact tone. The way the scene ends with Sonny visually shaken and Richard nonplussed is once again superb.

• Like 2

its not for everyone, but if you like a bit of I dunno, sort of Being John Malkovic style... then go for The Lobster.

I was entertaining a few months ago, and my mate picked it because she likes Colin Farrell... being the nice guy I thought fk, two hours of some sh--. but within minutes I thought damn this is good. surreal. dark. dry. original. weird. entertaining. I know this description will put people off and it makes it sound like a love story but:

sort of dystopian land, order of the system is that people who have been single for some time are sent to a hotel. aftter a few weeks if they haven't found love, they are turned into the animal of their choosing. that's sort of the premise, avoiding that outcome. I wont say more as I think ive lost you already. me, I give it an 8. don't know if it has been mentioned on this thread before.

The Lobster. watch it. but don't watch it if you dontlike something a bit different, or straight weird.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

The entire point being that they were small time bullies (especially Sonny) and the fact they drive around in such a ridiculous car was there to emphasise that, which it did perfectly. 

Basically, none of them were up to dealing with such a force of serious vengeance that Richard embodied. 

The scene with Sonny and Richard was a perfect illustration of that. Sonny begins the scene reasonably confident and that is quickly eroded by Richards manner and matter of fact tone. The way the scene ends with Sonny visually shaken and Richard nonplussed is once again superb.

Good analysis fella. I'd hardly call myself a film buff but have had an interest in films for years beynd watching them. Have a screenwriter in our family too. I wish I could go back in time and study media with screenwriting. Cest la vie

16 hours ago, villakram said:

Watched this last night based off what I read here and I wasn't particularly impressed. For others who haven't seen it:

Dead mans shoes ~ Eastenders Xmas special

Try A Room for Romeo Brass. If you don't like it sell your television. :)

Well I jumped on the Dead Man's Shoes bandwagon.  Really enjoyed it. I do like the gritty indie style and the acting always seems more genuine. Considine brilliant as usual. I'll be back later with spoiler tag chat :-P

Spoiler

I did raise a chuckle at the most conscientious driver ever.  It's about 5am, on an abandoned mountain/military road.  Not another car in sight.  You're driving at knifepoint and you still put your indicator on to turn left :lol:

The twist was brilliant.  I'll be honest, I didn't see it coming, and yet when you think back afterwards, there are plenty of signs to it.  Even if they're not blatant, they could have been enough to alert you to it.  Most of them behaviour related, but one of them plot related.

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 22:17, Midfielder said:

.The Lobster. watch it. but don't watch it if you dontlike something a bit different, or straight weird.

I used to think The Lobster was weird....until I watched Swiss Army Man.

11 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

this is one i am not familiar with but will be noting that. thanks for the tip

It's just like a more high brow version of Weekend at Bernie's ;)

Â