The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I never really care about plot holes. You can find them in any film. People who get worked up over plot holes in a work of fiction are missing the point tbh.

Well big plot holes are annoying. But it's the combination of terrible dialogue, large amounts of padding to fill the running time & a stupid ending which makes it a very patchy film. Score and effects are excellent, I also think McConaughey is very good, particularily one scene. But he does play essentially himself. While Michael Caine has played the same role in I don't know how many Nolan movies and he needs to just stop casting him, it's just lazy and he detracts from the film. 

For me, it's Nolans weakest film, which in context isn't that bad as his next "worst", Batman Begins, would be at at least 3/5 film, hardly a bad thing. 

Watched Richard Ayoade's The Double (starring Jesse Eisenberg) the other night.

Now, I loved Submarine and Ayoade in general but felt this film was too 'kooky' for its own good and was very muddled and confusing.

Bit of a shame really - it had so much promise.

Edited by theboyangel

The Usual Suspects (1995) - been a while since I sat down and watched it all the way through. Did it last night and I have to admit, still a very very good film. 8/10

• Like 3

Now, I loved Submarine and Ayoade in general but felt this film was too 'kooky' for its own good and was very muddled and confusing.

Ah that's a shame, I found it thoroughly entertaining. Thought the cast were uniformly great and it was an enjoyable story.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

Ah that's a shame, I found it thoroughly entertaining. Thought the cast were uniformly great and it was an enjoyable story.

I really wanted to like it but it just didn't engage me -agree the casting was good, Eissenberg was decent but for me it was trying to be too 'different and clever'.

what was Matthew Mcconaughey like in it? he has been trying to rebuild his career as a serious actor hasn't he with his last few roles (Mud, Killer Joe, Dallas Buyers and True Detective) so I'm interested to see how he does in this one.

I went to see The Babadook last night, I really enjoyed it, yeah it borrowed a lot from the old classics but the mood that the film set was great and I thought the performance from the mom in the first 2/3 of the film was great, I did think she kind of blew it in the last part though.

I got that The Babadook was all pretty much in her head within about 20/30 minutes of the film, it didn't ruin my enjoyment of it at all though

For probably the best actor in the world over the past 18 months, I think he was constrained by the ultimate direction of where the film was trying to go, I doubt he could have done much more given the script.

• Like 1

I went to see The Babadook last night, I really enjoyed it, yeah it borrowed a lot from the old classics but the mood that the film set was great and I thought the performance from the mom in the first 2/3 of the film was great, I did think she kind of blew it in the last part though.

I got that The Babadook was all pretty much in her head within about 20/30 minutes of the film, it didn't ruin my enjoyment of it at all though

Yeah except that's not how I saw it at all. It's definitely there, it has physical form

Yeah except that's not how I saw it at all. It's definitely there, it has physical form

Interesting take on it Dave. I definitely didn't think there was any physical form involved. What we saw was her psychosis, even the parts where the son was thrown around I took to be what she was either imagining or doing herself. 

Of course, this is why it was such a great experience. There is no definitive interpretation.

Interesting take on it Dave. I definitely didn't think there was any physical form involved. What we saw was her psychosis, even the parts where the son was thrown around I took to be what she was either imagining or doing herself. 

Of course, this is why it was such a great experience. There is no definitive interpretation.

BOOBIES 

• Like 2

I'm with D1 and Leemond.

Don't think its meant to be a big secret either. I think you're supposed to "get" early on that

the babadook isn't real. There's plenty of nods towards it.

Just back from Night Crawler

For me it's the best film of the year so far .Jake should make a start on his acceptance speech as he must be amongst the favourites

The film moves along at a decent pace , some good humour without going out of its way to look for it , some films just lag and you sit there thinking its 20 mins too long ( fury for example ) but this one just kept your attention all the way through

A small part of me can't help but think I've seen a similar story line before somewhere though ?

• Like 1

Babadook big spoilers, but I'm on a PC now as opposed to my phone so can discuss the above in more detail.

The basement was the key to the metaphor for me.

It was always locked and they were never allowed to go down there. All her husband's stuff is there, untouched, because she's never been able to face getting rid of it or doing anything with it.

That's why she'd never come to terms with her grief. It was all bottled up and you can tell from what her sister says that she's still not over the loss of her husband.

Then when her son goes down there she is suddenly forced to face all this grief which is what plunges her into her depression.

She sees it as a battle against her son, but in reality she's blaming her son for the husband's death (he died taking her to the delivery room as the son keeps reminding us) and for now making her confront the memory.

The Babadook is her, or more specifically the form she's given her depression/mental illness/grief or whatever you want to call it. The book may exist, the character may not have been hers, but that's the form she gives her own grief. The Babadook being a shadow is a big clue for me because that's what depression and mental illness is often referred to as. A shadow constantly lurking and stalking you.
She then does various things that hint towards her being the Babadook. Noises she makes, things she says, the way she moves and, especially, the one scene where she holds her arms out exactly like the babadook. I can't find a picture but it made her look like the movie poster form of the Babadook.

She then spends the film running away from that grief and trying to avoid it. "Don't let him in". And that tears her apart.

It's only when she eventually confronts the babadook (the bedroom scene) that she conquers it. So she's no longer running away from her husband's memory and her depression, she's forced to confront it and get over it.

And it's her going back down to the basement to finally face all that stuff that does it. She nearly kills her son but I think it's that moment where she realises it's her. She's fulfilling her own prophecy about killing her son, strangling him exactly like the "book" said she would, so she lets him go.

From then on, she faces the grief, which is when she goes down to the basement every day and "feeds" the babadook. So instead of locking everything away, she faces it bit by bit and comes to terms with it all. I don't know if the worms have some sort of bigger significance, I may have missed the meaning there.

That's how I saw it anyway, although it's only thinking about it afterwards that I've thought about that. If you'd have asked me about it straight after the film I'd probably not have come to some of those conclusions.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Also, I'm interested as to how Leemond thinks the lead "blew it" in the last third of the film? (that's not a snidy question, genuinely interested)

I thought she was great, and the climax of the film was incredibly tense.

Â