The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

He really is an annoying actor though. think funniest things I saw him in is films where he is only in it for a cameo like Wedding Crashers or Starsky and Hutch. most of his characters are all the same anyway

You should watch 'Everything Must Go'. He plays a straight role. I like when actors do something outside their norm as it's usually quite good.

He's got another film which he's serious in and he's the character in a fictional book. Think it's called Stranger Than Fiction. Not your typical Will Ferrell film.

I really liked Anchorman... but can't help but feel it's overrated. 

I watched Raging Bull a couple of nights ago.

I thought it was just generally, meh. Not a stinker, just perfectly ok but no seminal moment. Which was a shame as I'd been looking forward to it (and I accept that pre watch anticipation might have caused a bit of disappointment).

Yeah Chris I thought it was meh too. I think it's just one of those cinematic artsy thingies for purists. Excellently shot and probably an example to novice directors on how things are done etc etc, but not that accessible. As a result, I suspect it's 'the done thing' to say it's great.

On raging bull - the acting is tremendous, the cinematic experience and the soundtrack is beautiful. Far far more then a meh movie and rightly is renowned as one of the atg movies.

For me the biggest 'meh' movie that is considered an atg is Apocalypse now. I see why people like it but personally I just don't like it and will never warm to it. Don't get the hype over brando's performance in that eithet

• Like 1

Haven't seen AN, but felt similarly about The Deer Hunter.

Granted Iw as only about 14 when I watched it so probably couldn't appreciate it, but I remember thinking it was pretty boring.

• Like 1

Yeah agree. First hour was brilliant then turned into shite. Brandos performance was weird in that movie although I know there was a reason for it I can't remember. Drunk I'm guessing?! But can't remember the story if someone can refresh my memory

Edited by donnie

Granted Iw as only about 14 when I watched it so probably couldn't appreciate it, but I remember thinking it was pretty boring.

Nah you need to watch it again fella, really great great movie even if does drag on in parts. A must watch movie.

Jeez talking about these great movies shows how bad cinema is now with mindless rubbish like ironman, avengers, etc

Edited by donnie

Apocalypse Now is my favourite film. I could go on all day about why I love it, but it really comes down to this - no film captures the madness that is war quite like it.

It is flawed, Brando just mumbles T.S Eliot in the dark (don't we all after a few drinks?) and is about 6 stone heavier than Kurtz should be, but it works, strangely, because it is a descent into hell and hell is always a bit off, really.

I adore it and would encourage anyone to watch it because it has countless memorable scenes, incredible cinematography, a great soundtrack and Robert Duvall.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

very similar for me, will need to watch it again as probably a lot better than I remembered

Apocalypse Now is my favourite film. I could go on all day about why I love it, but it really comes down to this - no film captures the madness that is war quite like it.

It is flawed, Brando just mumbles T.S Eliot in the dark (don't we all after a few drinks?) and is about 6 stone heavier than Kurtz should be, but it works, strangely, because it is a descent into hell and hell is always a bit off, really.

I adore it and would encourage anyone to watch it because it has countless memorable scenes, incredible cinematography, a great soundtrack and Robert Duvall.

You know I'm gonna watch it again. Like I said I didn't warm to it the 2x I seen it but will give it another go.

I will watch Lawrence of Arabia on Sunday night. Never seen it before. I will post my thoughts on here after.

Not that it matters but on the subject of atg films my personal favourite is one flew over the cuckoos nest. The best film ever made in my opinion. It has everything

Edited by donnie

So much blasphemy in this thread regarding Aliens

I will bite my tongue :D

Aliens is the best action movie ever made and it makes up more than half of all the best movie quotes.

Myself and my mate have sat down, dished out characters turned it on and spoke the whole script. With plenty of cold beer.

Was awesome

Raging Bull is one of my all time favourite films absolutely brilliant

anyways, I'm off to see The Wolverine tonight, I hope its better than the last offering, and I hope it has stuck to the original story line and not just thrown them into Japan and rewrote everything else about it

Raging Bull is one of my all time favourite films absolutely brilliant

anyways, I'm off to see The Wolverine tonight, I hope its better than the last offering, and I hope it has stuck to the original story line and not just thrown them into Japan and rewrote everything else about it

Saw Wolverine last night. It's OK, it has a good first hour but I thought the second hour went a bit too OTT and daft.

Edited by Designer1

Â