The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Well I'm not a fan of anti-football.

Depends how you define that... last time I looked the main objective to football was to put the ball in the oppositions net more than the opponent puts it in yours... if Barcelona can't do that, then it doesn't matter what type of football they play.

Chelsea went to the Nou Camp and kept a clean sheet - something no team's done since 1742*. Had they gone there to play the freeflowing attacking football then they'd probably have been destroyed. It was up to Barcelona to break Chelsea down - not for Chelsea to roll over for Barcelona just because 'they play better football'.

Chelsea were playing some brilliant stuff today with Anelka and Drogba... If they can defend as well as they did in the first leg, and if those 2 link up that well again this week then they're perfectly capable of getting the final..

*not really true.

In terms of preparation for the game... I think Chelsea certainly came out on top this weekend...

They played a Fulham team who play fairly freeflowing football... OK, not to the degree Barcelona do, but Barcelona prepared for this game against a team who went all out attack against them and defended like an under 14's school team... the exact opposite to what they'll face on Wednesday.

Depends how you define that... last time I looked the main objective to football was to put the ball in the oppositions net more than the opponent puts it in yours... if Barcelona can't do that, then it doesn't matter what type of football they play.

Chelsea went to the Nou Camp and kept a clean sheet - something no team's done since 1742*. Had they gone there to play the freeflowing attacking football then they'd probably have been destroyed. It was up to Barcelona to break Chelsea down - not for Chelsea to roll over for Barcelona just because 'they play better football'.

Chelsea were playing some brilliant stuff today with Anelka and Drogba... If they can defend as well as they did in the first leg, and if those 2 link up that well again this week then they're perfectly capable of getting the final..

*not really true.

Chelsea deffended so much because they know fine well Barca are a better footballing team then them, otherwise they would not have done it. If Chelsea win, it will be down to managerial tactics and nothing to do with the quality of footballers on each team.

Which imo, is fair enough. A manager is a BIG part of every team. But to say Chelsea winning on Tuesday, would make them a better team, is a bit far fetched imo.

*not really true.

While I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, Barcelona would rather lose then play like Chelsea did last Tuesday. That is their footballing philosophy.

Well I guess we'll find out on Wednesday whether that footballing philosophy brings the success it deserves.

If Chelsea win, it will be down to managerial tactics and nothing to do with the quality of footballers on each team.

Which imo, is fair enough. A manager is a BIG part of every team

*cough* Part time manager *cough*

100 goals in 34 league games, GD +72!!!

The front three are on another planet. I think this is right, though The Guardian havent updated their stats page today.

Eto'o - 32 goals in 45 games (27 in 32 in La Liga, 0 in 3 in the cup, 5 in 10 in the Champions League.) Cant find a record of his assists.

Messi - 36 goals in 47 games (23 in 30 in La Liga, 5 in 7 in the cup, 8 in 10 in the Champions League.) Also 15 assists.

Henry - 26 goals in 42 games (19 in 30 in La Liga, 1 in 1 in the cup, 6 in 11 in the Champions League.) Also 11 assists.

94 goals in all competitions from the front three. Incredible.

I cant see how Chelsea can come out and try to play Barcelona at football. They wont beat them if they do that, it would be stupid and suicidal. Im sure Hiddink has watched the games Barca have lost this season. I understand Espanyol bullied Barcelona off the ball when they won in the Nou Camp. I also understand the main reason why Barcelona dont concede many goals isnt because they have a fantastic back four, its more about the midfield and how much possession Bacra tend to have in every match. They dont concede chances, so they dont let in many goals. They can be got at.

Wouldnt suprise me if Chelsea play similarly to how they did in Spain. At least 7 men behind the ball every time Barca have possession. Maybe only Anelka, Drogba and one other looking to break on the counter.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah i saw that, real shame i fancied him to do what xavi did last year (nods for world player of the year etc) makes utd favourites IMO

i suppose villareal had more to lose at the weekend, their run in is worse than athletico's and valencia's so they will struggle for 4th

I love the way Messi just always stays on his feet even when he's getting hacked by the opposition (i.e Chelsea). Fantastic player. Any other player and they'd be rolling around the floor crying. (i.e Ronaldo) :)

Iniesta has torn a thigh muscle.

Barring a miracle he will out of the final.

He'll make it, hopefully! :)

Barcelona midfielder Andres Iniesta expects to be fit for the Champions League final against Manchester United on May 27, after having further tests on a thigh muscle injury on Monday.

"I will be in Rome," Iniesta told reporters as he left the hospital. "It is a small tear that wasn't as bad as we thought. The enthusiasm I have to play in the final will help my recovery."

Iniesta, who scored the goal that took Barca past Chelsea in the Champions League semi-final last week, picked up the injury in the 3-3 Primera Liga draw at home to Villarreal on Sunday.

He has been ruled out of Wednesday's King's Cup final against Athletic Bilbao.

• 3 weeks later...
I love the way Messi just always stays on his feet even when he's getting hacked by the opposition (i.e Chelsea). Fantastic player. Any other player and they'd be rolling around the floor crying. (i.e Ronaldo) :)

that is what i love about the player..

absolutely fantastic attitude, and such a wonderful dribbling style...

personally, prefer his dribbling style to the silly little step overs that do diddly squat but wow the "highlight generation" fuckwits...

its also a lot harder to do too, as he has to run at speed and switch the ball between his feet to take it through players...

a joy to watch...

• 2 weeks later...

Here's something I just found out on my nerdy statty travels this evening which is surely some kind of record too.

Espanyol were rock bottom of the Primera Liga with only 8 games left to play this season.

They eventually finished 10th (top half). Remarkable.

yeah G Balague is an espanyol fan and he was well happy, i think they've told tamudo and im not sure but even de la pena that their time is up for next season, if they lose kameni too (bayern IMO) then they need major rebuilding

Here's something I just found out on my nerdy statty travels this evening which is surely some kind of record too.

Espanyol were rock bottom of the Primera Liga with only 8 games left to play this season.

They eventually finished 10th (top half). Remarkable.

They were helped by a rather crowded bottom half of the table.

But I guess 7 wins from their last 8 games was a contributing factor too. :lol:

Â