The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

I'm still not sure I get the whole "Barcelona have a weak defence" argument. It just seems to me that its one of those things people say without really stopping to think about it, you know, they have to have a weakness and its clearly not going forwards so lets all say its the defence. Its like when people say there are more Everton fans in Liverpool than there are Liverpool fans, or there are more City fans in Manchester. Its either something unquantifiable or something with nothing to back it up.

Barcelona have a weak defence? Well, they have the best defensive record in Spain this season, they have conceded just 11 goals in 22 games in La Liga.

They had the best defence in Spain last season. They conceded just 24 goals in 38 games in the league.

They had the best defence in Spain the season before last, conceding just 35 goals in 38 games.

They are very very good at keeping clean sheets.

Well that is the defence, isnt it? Its clearly intentional, if you have a team full of players who can keep the ball then you restrict the oppositions shots on goal. It doesnt get the fans on the terraces as excited as having a team full of John Terry's or Mark Delaney's who dramatically throw themselves in front of the ball and make last ditch sliding tackles, but its a lot more effective in keeping a clean sheet. Barcelona's goals against column since Pep took over is almost as spectacular as their goals for column.

Like any defence, at times it's going to look suspect but overall it's a terrific unite. Sure if you put that defence in another team, It'd concede a lot more goals but that's a non point. In reality, given a full team, it's more of a Puyol Busquets, Pique, Abidal defence you will see as Alves does pretty much play as a right winger. If you include all the back 5....although maybe not the best defenders in the world, they'd still certainly walk into plenty of sides. If I was making a world 11,

I'd only change probably Valdes, Puyol, possibly Abidal and Pedro. (Casillias, Vidic, Cole, Ronaldo)

4 out of 11, the other 7 I'd have firmly in my world team.

Basically you use the mean and [slightly tweaked] standard deviation of goals scored by the clubs you played to determine how easy it is to keep them from scoring and the harder the scorelines, the better your defense is.

Example: Barcelona (in all games against qualified opposition) this season has averaged 2.91 goals per game with a[n adjusted] standard deviation of 1.47 while Villa have averaged 1.25 with a stdev of 0.88, thus holding Barcelona to 1 goal is considered as impressive as holding Villa to 0.11 goals.

Speaking of Real Madrid..

4-1 against R.Sociedad - Ronaldo 2 goals to his huge tally, Adebayor scoring again, 2 in 2 for him (1 league 1 Copa Del Rey), already better than Dzeko, and Kaka scored too.

Messi's hat trick against Atletico..has to be the worst hat trick I've seen from him..maybe worse than..SAVO'S :D

If anyone can do it like you said, he can. He has done it before with Inter (3-1 then lost 1-0 but went through on 3-2 aggregate.. champions league mind you though - I still remember that day).

Well it was less than a year ago...!

If anyone can do it like you said, he can. He has done it before with Inter (3-1 then lost 1-0 but went through on 3-2 aggregate.. champions league mind you though - I still remember that day).

Well it was less than a year ago...!

Doesn't matter, i'm confident he will have a plan anyway and he will win even if he is with real madrid now.. mind you if they perform anything like they have recent then they have no chance.

Â