ATM Error causes double cashback for 6 hours!!!!

kidlewis

If you were by the ATM would you take advantage of the banks mistake?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. If you were by the ATM would you take advantage of the banks mistake?

• Yup, Pays for the Villa
    • No, I would call Nationwide and inform them of the error

ATM's Double Money Error

Crowds queued at a cash machine in Manchester which gave double the amount of cash requested.

Word spread quickly about the error at the machine at the BP garage on Barton Road in Stretford on Thursday.

The giveaway went on for about six hours before the fault was reported to Nationwide building society.

The firm said it was "disappointing" that no-one reported it earlier. Those who took extra cash may now have to pay it back.

The machine gave £60 every time it was asked for £30, but also gave away more cash in different multiples depending on the money requested.

Some customers reportedly used several cards to withdraw money.

The Nationwide said it appeared the employee of a firm they use to top up the machine had loaded the notes in the wrong way.

A spokeswoman for the Nationwide said: "There was a problem. We are investigating what transactions took place.

"It is disappointing no one reported the matter earlier in the day when lots of people were aware and it is disappointing some people were deliberately using the machine to take extra money.

"Legally, recipients of payments made by mistakes are not entitled to benefit from it.

"We will reserve the right to contact people about the matter on an individual basis."

Banks borrow £250bn then expect customers to pay back a few thousdan quid?

hahaha, good on the peeps that queued up. Good on 'em. Hope they were the ones that needed the money the most.

reminds me of the time someone I knew from school mistakenly got paid £1,200 (something like that), turned it was a cheque paid, but the person authorised it when the account details were wrong. He simply bought a laptop and when questioned said he didn't check his balance very often as he knew he was always in credit.

Think the bank had to cover the error in the end, as it wasn't his fault.

Time have probably changed though.

I wouldn't. Sure, it'd be bloody tempting but it would always be in the back of my mind that one day, I'll get a letter asking me for the money back I just fluffed away on a holiday.

you got a beefy daily limit or something :) I can only draw max of £250 in a day.

Suppose you could get to Ibiza for that. :)

Villa fans larging it up to "Panjoo" thanks to Nationwide.

I wouldn't. Sure, it'd be bloody tempting but it would always be in the back of my mind that one day, I'll get a letter asking me for the money back I just fluffed away on a holiday.

you got a beefy daily limit or something :) I can only draw max of £250 in a day.

Suppose you could get to Ibiza for that. :)

Villa fans larging it up to "Panjoo" thanks to Nationwide.

Well, I was thinking of sunny Bognor Regis i_thumbsup.gif

Legally, recipients of payments made by mistakes are not entitled to benefit from it.

Unless the recipients were unaware (and could not reasonably be aware) of the mistake when it was made AND have already spent the money not knowing the mistake.

Obviously that wouldn't apply to all of those who queued up having heard about the Nationwide buy one get one free offer.

p.s. Nationwide have not had any financial help from the taxpayer, I don't believe.

No I wouldnt. It's theft however you look at it if your knowingly withdrawing money knowing it's giving you more than your asking for.

Would you take the same amount of money from a counter of the bank if nobody was looking?

It's things like this that people nowadays find acceptable that's making the country a crap place to live.

Standards are slipping, you can't trust anyone nowadays we all turn blind eyes instead of being upstanding.

Would you be proud of your kids if they did this? Would your parents be proud of it?

I would take out my max i could that day and leave it in my account for about 6 months.

I get overpaid at work quite often now we have a new girl in admin. Like this month i was overpaid £160 will i tell them? Will i ****.

I'd laugh at all the people withdrawing what they thought was free money only to find out later that they'd have to pay it back (they've got your card details, they know its you DOH!). Would I phone the bank? nah, it would cost them money to rectify other peoples greed too. Idiots losing out all round

Sadly, the Bank are within their rights to claim the money back. Something in law could 'mistake of fact'. However, the customer(s) can claim they have now spent the money, and have no means to pay it back. The Bank will then decide to write if off, or transfer the debt.

For any debt of under £100, I doubt they would look to transfer it.

I doubt I would hand it back, but certainly not use any other cards in it. I wouldn't report it to the ATM's owners either, but put the money to one side, knowing that it will probably be requested back by the bank at a later date

Â