General Krulak (part 2) and *STILL NO TRANSFER QUESTIONS*

LancsVillan

General Krulak here:

1. Dreamlander: First off, welcome to the thread. Secondly, after some of the beating I get, I will accept your "sucking up" with gratitude :D ! (Just kidding.) I will pass on your comments to MON and Randy...as well as those at Villa Park. As you probably know, I have made a point to pass on the "good, bad, and ugly" so that this thread becomes something valuable to both the Fans and the Club.

2. Martin Laursen: Obviously I cannot comment on what he will or will not say. What I can comment on is his "heart" and his leadership and his play. He is a superb representative of those in the past who have worn the Claret and Blue...he is to be greatly admired for all he brings to the Club. Whatever he decides, he is part and parcel of the Villa lore.

3. USAVillain: You are a true researcher to find that quote from the Lehrer Hour. I meant every word of it!!! I still mean it!!! The issue has become even more personal as my youngest son (and HUGE Villa Fan) was just awarded his Doctorate in Religious Studies and will be teaching at University starting this coming fall. When I saw his salary, I almost croaked!! We owe our teachers more than a "pat on the back"...we owe them a living wage. They hold the future of our children, our Nation and our World in their hands.

4. stevenjos: Sorry not to get back to you. I have sent your recommendation forward.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as my youngest son (and HUGE Villa Fan)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can we seen him down at Villa Park in the Holte sometime, I'm sure not too many would recognise him, i'm sure he'd love it :D (especially against Blousers if they go up..)

General, Can I ask you..as your not as local, do you still find the Blues game the biggest game or the one that means the most or is it even, honest answer please!!

Ps. 5-1 ...what a day!

. Martin Laursen: Obviously I cannot comment on what he will or will not say. What I can comment on is his "heart" and his leadership and his play. He is a superb representative of those in the past who have worn the Claret and Blue...he is to be greatly admired for all he brings to the Club. Whatever he decides, he is part and parcel of the Villa lore.

General, I wholeheartedly endorse what you state here and have indicated so in the Laursen thread. Basically, this guy has fought like a lion to wear the shirt following a series of injuries and then put his body on the line and fought like a tiger whilst wearing the shirt. He is probably only surpassed by the greatness of Lord McGrath in terms of modern defensive legend.

So two questions.

Have you had chance to see any of the old footage of the deity that was McGrath?

Secondly, can we ensure that we get to give Laursen a proper send off via testimonial?

General

Quickly before I go to Bolton - please ensure you send all our best wishes to Martin Laursen, and with regards to his possible retirement, I am literally gutted. I don't know what else to say apart from that. He was my favourite player and one of the most dedicated I've ever seen in a Villa shirt. If he's not able to play again, could the club arrange something so we can all give our thanks to him v Newcastle on the last day of the season? Maybe he could come onto the pitch so he can get a real sending off. Really going to miss him in defence, we seem a completely different team without him in it. I'll always remember his Ajax goal.

On the subject of injuries, what's the progress with Freddie Bouma?

Cheers

Gen

Need a win today, as you would expect both Arsenal and Everton to win.

I've just read an interview with MON, whereby he states RL has "a grand plan for Villa, he wants to improve the ground, without losing the soul of the club"

We also have you saying pretty much the same.

Without saying what the plans are, can you at least tell us when they will be unveiled. Will it be this year, next year, is it dependant on crowds etc...

Hi General,

With regards to the NFL Draft, I initially wanted to ask you whether you believe a similar system could ever be implemented in European or even English "soccer". The perspective I get from it in the US is that it certainly helps to even things out more (but not entirely obviously). One BBC journalist believes it is not impossible to think of such a system, but I'm more sceptical:

Could a draft system work like this in British football?

It would be difficult but not impossible. The NFL draft relies entirely upon the college programme in the United States and without a similar setup in Britain it would be tough to replicate.

However, in the US, baseball and ice hockey teams are able to draft from minor league semi-professional teams, which could feasibly happen in the UK.

I'm also just reading up on Matthew Stafford's transfer to the Detroit Lions, and the amount he will receive with them over his six-year contract. This article also lists the previous first picks in recent years, and how much they received:

2009 - M. Stafford, 6 yrs/$72M, guaranteed $47.7M

2008 - Jake Long, 5 yrs/$57.75M, guaranteed $30M

2007 - J. Russell, 6 yrs/$61M, guaranteed $29.2M

2006 - Mario Williams, 6 yrs/$54M, guaranteed $26.5M

2005 - Alex Smith, 6 yrs/$57M, guaranteed $24M

2004 - Eli Manning, 6 yrs/$54M, guaranteed $20M*

2003 - Carson Palmer, 7 yrs/$49M, guaranteed $14M*

2002 - David Carr, 7 yrs/$46.2M, guaranteed $14M*

2001 - Michael Vick, 6 yrs/$62M, guaranteed $15.3M

2000 - C. Brown, 6 yrs/$45M, guaranteed $10.9M

* Signing bonus

Obviously Stafford's contract will be significantly more because of how much Detroit wish to erase last season's memories, but do you see this trend in the NFL continuing? It appears to be mirroring sport here - you need to be pumping more money in to be able to compete. But I'm not the most knowledgable of most, so I'd enjoy reading your opinion.

Thanks for reading. And now that we're unbeaten in three, lets start winning some! UTV!

Dear General Krulak.

As a lifelong Villa fan, I do completely back MON. However, Roy Keane said something at the Ipswich press conference on Weds which stuck in my mind.

A journo asked him what he thought of his MANU team mates from 94 who are now in management. His reply was that (and now I'm paraphrasing) neither Hughes or Bruce have yet to win a trophy, so therefore all they are unproven 'prospects' until they win Silverware. With that in mind, I confirm MON hasn't won an English or European trophy since 2000 (with Leicester), so I’m starting to consider if or who could do a better job managing the Villa.

Now I'm a fair guy, a lifelong Villa fan and I've not got too caught up in the Lerner hyperbole since 2006 - but surely Villa are worth at least a crack at some sort of meaningful trophy? The Europa league (if we qualify) would usually be a cause for celebration, but Villa fielding a weak team against CSKA earlier this year has devalued the completion for me. If we qualify, it’d be no more than an opportunity for a short Holiday.

I trust Mr Lerner has his financial house in order at Villa Park, but I strongly believe investment higher than the norm in the 2009 Summer transfer window will bear dividends. Us Villa fans aren’t expecting you to sign the best players in the world, and we’ve certainly enjoyed watching a team evolve this season with an English spine – something rare in this day and age.

I hope the Management team and Scouts of Aston Villa are more effective in the Summer 09 transfer window, and that you build a stronger foundation and squad to cope with the four competitions Villa hope to be in next year.

Bests,

Ben

General Krulak here:

3. pablopicasso: I am not sure what to say about your comment. You obviously thought hard about your feelings and I respect that fact. You made some good points. I personally feel that MON probably has a little different take on the situation and is probably in a better situation to know what he has on the Pitch and on the bench. He also sees the lads in practice and develops a feel from that interaction. I think it is very hard to go against the logic of the man who is charged with laying out the game plan. I must disagree with your comment that we will "limp into 6th place." I am just not ready to make that sort of statement. We have games to go...games that we absolutely can win. I am for storming into 5th place and continuing to challange for 4th!! You just don't know what will happen with those teams above us right now.

i imagine martin o'neills thoughts are that our pace on the counter should help us in terms of sitting deep to try and protect what we have, however, that is proving not to be the case with players tired, and confidence low... so to invite the opposition onto us, in our current state, seems like footballing suicide, and is proving to be the case, over the past 3 months without a win...

now you know that i backed the manager over the eufa cup stance, and this current run could be seen as proving him correct in terms of the tiredness, however, it also shows how much we need to do for the next season, in terms of bringing people into the football club... especially with a few key players more than likely needing replacing...

as for "limping into 6th" versus "storming into 5th", i really hope that i am wrong and you are right...

Hi General

I see that the club shop have reduced the price of the current playing kit so I assume that we will be getting a new kit for next season. Could you give us any idea of when we are likely to be able to see/buy it?

Great news that we are supporting Acorns once more

Dave

general,i keep hearing you banging on about that randy trusts in what the manager is doing now this is not a personal dig or generalization of americans but does randy have enough knowledge of english football?,yes i know you are going to defend the manager and say that the team is improving but i have to disagree, last year i enjoyed going to the home games,but now the honeymoon period is over to win only 5 at home and playing bad do you think people are going to renew their season tickets?the manager has made some bad choices this season, ie eufa cup (randy had to pay for the moscow 300 meal) is randy aware of discontent of the fans and the mistakes the manager is making ?

I know this thread isn't for discussion but I take exception to your "discontent of the fans" comment. You make out it is the fanbase as a whole which is far, far from the truth and you certainly don't speak for me! Also, I and everyone else I know have already renewed our season tickets. We have a little more faith and choose not to get all hysterical when we go through a bad patch.

I have to agree, I wouldn't have said the fan base is in discontent. Naturally we are disappointed by the current slump but sitting 5th in the league is hardly a bad achievement - we weren't far from relegation before Randy & MON turned up so we have come a long way.

General - you may have answered this elsewhere but having seen the deadline for renewals is looming for my seat I wondered how the renewals were going this year?

Your answer will have no bearing on my renewal, I am dialing the ticket line as I type!!!!

Dave

General,

Just a complaint about our ticket office. Now i'm not doubting that on the whole they do a good job but it seems that almost everytime i ring up i encounter problems. Already this season they messed some of my tickets up, then they lost my Liverpool coach tickets and now they've completely messed up for the Hull game.

My little brother has an u16 season ticket but can't make the last 2 games so my sister upgraded it to u21 for the Hull and Newcastle games and was given paper tickets. I rang up and booked a 10 pound ticket in the Lower Holte on that reference about 2 weeks ago now, and a few days laters i rang up and booked 2 more of those Lower Holte tickets. A few days later those two tickets had come but the one i'd ordered days before hadn't so i rang up and was told it had been posted out. Anyway today comes round after being told it would be here last thursday so i rang up again, only this time i was told the ticket had been uploaded onto the u16 season ticket because my sister would be using paper tickets. What they didn't realise was they didn't tell me it had been uploaded when i booked it so how was i meant to know? I wouldn't have knew to use the card. Also the card is for the Upper Holte but the ticket is in the lower, i'm 22, 6'1 with a beard and i'm not going to pass for 15 and the biggest mistake of all was how was i meant to know where abouts in the lower Holte i was sitting? Did they expect me to go in and magically find my seat?

Anyway sorry for the rant but like i say it's one in a long line of mistakes and it's starting to get on my nerves now.

General Krulak here:

1. AVFCPride-of Brum: There is no doubt that the highpoint of my time at Villa so far was 5-1!!!!! I spent that game in Holte End and it was magnificent.

2. privateer: Yes, I have seen footage of McGrath...he was my kind of MAN!! We will take good care of Laursen.

3. paulanddonya: Yes, we do have a "grand plan" for Villa Park and we will release it when we have it locked up. We still have certain steps to go thru before we can announce anything.

4. heystally: I do not think an NFL-like draft would work in football. For one thing, it would have to achieve agreement world-wide and I don't see that happening. Secondly, it is based upon the team with the worst record getting the best draft position...whereas we relegate. Totally different concept...totally different span of interest in the game.

5. dantanner: Does Randy know anything about the game of football. The answer is yes. He has been around sports for a good, long, time. He studies sports...strategy, rules, etc. He has been interested in football since university. He has played the game...not professionally but has played. He has advisors who help him with the nuances of the game. I would imagine that any Villa Fan who sat by Randy at a game would be gobsmacked by his understanding of the game. Of course Randy and MON and the Board understand how the Fans feel. Do you think any of us are blind or deaf???? I am on this site and others to hear from the Fans and pass the word...good, bad and ugly. Believe me, you do not run a football club with your head in the sand. At the same time, you cannot and should not make major decisions based solely on the discontent of the Fans...you MUST do what you think is right based on FULL knowledge of what is going on. You, as a Fan, should want nothing less.

6. ST renewals are going extemely well!!!

7. BCV: Please call Nicky Keye and give her this feedback. It is important.

Hi General,

I have a little complaint about the ticket office. I was making the trip over to the game on Saturday from Ireland and from what I thought I had two tickets booked in the Holte End in prime position in the centre of the stand. I had been in contact with the Ticket Office last week when I was told that my tickets had been booked after I gave in payment details and was told about the charge that would be put to my account for use of the credit card. I was happy, having bought tickets for the game in the Holte End....

I got to the ground early on Saturday about 1pm, eager to soak up a bit of the atmosphere prior to the game. I went straight up to the Holte End ticket kiosk where I was told my tickets would be waiting for me.. The guy in the kiosk searched high and low for them but they were not to be found.. I gave him my booking reference number and card details, yet he still could not find any info on tickets or a booking I had made... I was getting worried now that I would not get to see the game having come all the way over from Ireland for the day..

I went down to the main ticket office then and as the game was not a sell out, I managed to get two tickets, but in a poorer position than my original supposed booking had me in.. I wasn't going to complain on the day because basically I dont get over to the Villa that much, maybe once a season, although I intend to get over for the Newcastle game.. I just wanted to enjoy the day and at the end of the day I had tickets to the game for the same price so i wasn't too unhappy.. I just fear that the next time I go over that the same will happen and I will be stuck in a limbo having no tickets for the game, which is not good having spent money on flights and making the effort to come over for the day.

I appreciate the work that the ticket office are going through at the moment and they were helpful in getting the best possible tickets for me..

Would appreciate if you maybe looked into why this order slipped through the net as I dont want to go over again to a match that maybe sold out to find that my order has not gone through again...

Thanks,

Donogh

PS, Keep up the good work that Randy is doing.. The changes are being noted...

Hi Gen,

I think you may have missed my post.. I'm not pushing it much but would like to make sure it doesnt happen to anyone else...Thanks for your time..

Hi General

I see that the club shop have reduced the price of the current playing kit so I assume that we will be getting a new kit for next season. Could you give us any idea of when we are likely to be able to see/buy it?

Great news that we are supporting Acorns once more

Dave

yeah some details would be nice, and can you please request that it comes out a bit earlier this year!

last years away shirt came out well after our preseason european games, i think even the league had started

i want to be able to wear my new villa shirt when im in malaga