General Krulak (part 2) and *STILL NO TRANSFER QUESTIONS*

LancsVillan

Gen

You are not the football side so I dont intend to rant at yourself, but you do feed into the board so I am going to raise what I feel about the last few posts.

I was at Fulham, I went overdrawn to do it, I left at 5.50am and got in at 0010am.

What I didn't expect is to win, I am a fan, I know how it works. What I did not expect is players to play like ronaldo and Pele , coz they can't.

What I DO expect is that players that play for Aston Villa Football Club (and the manager come to that) do not take the piss out of me - and that is exactly what I feel this morning. The players (bar Petrov, Friedal and Luke Young as they gave their all) did not give a toss yesterday, they couldn't care less, that was summed up by the farcical occurrance at the substitution.

That was as bad as anything I have seen is the so called "dark days" - players going through the motions, not caring.

They were an embarrassment and they need telling !! - but not by the manager - coz he was the worst culprit !!!. In my 25 yrs of going away, I can't remember many times away fans boo the team off - but it happened yesterday - says it all !

Sorry, but I am angry ! - if I did that at work I'd be hauled in front of my high boss on neglect of duty - so why shoudl they be different.

I just pray that RL's "friendship" don't get in the way of a job needing to be done !

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi General,

This isn't a rant about MON or our current form but I just like to pass my opinion over to you (I know you like to pass opinions on to Randy). Basically I think a lot of fans (not just Villa) are becoming bored (for the want of a better word) with the Premier League - the top 4 is a closed shop unless you have hundreds of millions of £'s to spend. It seems we have hit the 'glass ceiling' and are as high as we can go - therefore if we can't win the league, I would love us to win a cup (I've never seen Villa play at Wembley). Can someone please tell MON to take cup competitions seriously next season so we have a chance of some silverware otherwise I don't really see the point of our exsistance.

General Krulak here:

1. Stephen_Evans: Thank you for your thoughtful post....you obviously put a good deal of work into framing your comments in a passionate yet not belittling way. You deserve an answer written in the same manner. If it is OK with you, I will reply as a Fan because I don't think I should attempt to speak for the Board...so, please, read this as a Fan to a Fan. First and foremost, I agree that we have had a terrible run...to not acknowledge that fact would be foolish...it stares us in the face. Your taking the step that says the our" long unbeaten run in the middle of the season" will be "put into perspective" by this current run and somehow we "enjoyed massive slices of luck" during the middle of the season is not, in my opinion a statement I can agree with. In most instances, a team makes their own luck by their play. I watched Chelsea play several Cup games this year and never control the time of possession yet they win. Yes, possession normally is a critical factor but, as we have seen, it is not THE critical factor. We won those games, not because we were "lucky" but because we played better at the critical points of the game. "half the team can't pass and half the team can't control the ball". Somewhere there must be a rationale thought here...for taken at face value, we have a team that is in 5th place that is made up of people who can't pass or can't control the ball. I just cannot accept that as a fact. Players do not forget how to pass or control the ball in half a season. A team of players who "can't do wrong and can't do right" just doesn't add up...nor does the comments about the wings. If you look at the individual players that you point to playing in those positions, I would posit that they are very talented and equal to most in the premiership. I think we would all agree that our back is hurting right now...NOT because the players are not up to the job but because we have had injuries that have caused us to vary the lineup over time. All Clubs will be faced with injuries but I think we all realize that we have had some vital players go down that have impacted the flexibility of the Team. You and I will just have to agree to disagree on MON. I do believe he can take us where we want to go. He has done a superb job in the past two years and do not believe that he has hit a brick wall.

2. I am really saddened when people tell me that they know of friends that are not renewing their tickets for next year. I am absolutely not sure why anyone would not renew their season tickets when balanced against 1) our season thiis year and the progress made over the past 3 years (yes, we have had a terrible run but that should not discount the entire season nor the progress over the years), 2) the ticket prices that have been kept below the vast majority of the Premiership and 3) the fan friendly attitude of the Club itself...that the Club believes in the ethos and traditions of the Club and hold them dear. And people say they aren't renewing their season tickets??? I can accept it if it is due to the economy...no question. But I cannot see where the Club has caused your friends to give up ST's.

2. I am really saddened when people tell me that they know of friends that are not renewing their tickets for next year. I am absolutely not sure why anyone would not renew their season tickets when balanced against 1) our season thiis year and the progress made over the past 3 years (yes, we have had a terrible run but that should not discount the entire season nor the progress over the years), 2) the ticket prices that have been kept below the vast majority of the Premiership and 3) the fan friendly attitude of the Club itself...that the Club believes in the ethos and traditions of the Club and hold them dear. And people say they aren't renewing their season tickets??? I can accept it if it is due to the economy...no question. But I cannot see where the Club has caused your friends to give up ST's

General i know the club need money from season ticket sales but if people don't want to be at villa park after another top 6 finish then good. There are already too many fans who just sit there and whinge and moan for 90 minutes and i'd rather they weren't there. If you couldn't enjoy being a villa fan over the last couple of years then i doubt you are going to be able to enjoy it in the near future. Hopefully those seats that aren't renewed will be taken up by fans who will enjoy it.

Everyone i know will be renewing their tickets and if we keep on progressing attendences at villa park won't be a problem.

General - firstly, I have renewed by season ticket so this is more an observation than anything.

Having been to the majority of games home and away this season, I can say that I have enjoyed the season on the whole..BUT, most of my enjoyment has come away from home given our poor record at Villa Park. I'm not sure why we can't seem to win as much at home as we do away but can understand that people are negative about renewing.

In the cold light of day everyone will agree that the club has made significant progress in the three years that you and the current board have been involved...no question. Off the pitch, the club is completely different and the approach from yourself and Randy is something that can not be questioned. I have a number of friends who support other teams, both locally and further afield, and without exception they are surprised and indeed envious of the way we as fans are treated.

So at the end of the season, when you are reflecting upon this season with Randy & the rest of the board, please be assured that the vast majority of fans are pleased and grateful for the progress we are making - if not a little disappointed at the thought of what might have been!!

Thanks General

General,

I have been at times critical of the team and manager, but I agree that these who choose not to renew are lucky to be in such a position. I lost my job just before christmas and finding a new one is hard, so my reason for not renewing is simply down to the current climate, otherwise I'd renew in a heartbeat. I don't support Martin O'Neill, John Carew or Gareth Barry etc... I support Aston Villa. Pure and Simple. May Randy continue to lead this club has he has done, and when finances permit, I shall be there to cheer MON and hte boys on and, if needed, give them the 'b*ll**ing' they need lol!

Dear General,

Some of the comments crticising Martin O'Neill, the team and the club beggar belief.

We need some historical perspective here. For some supporters fighting for 5th place with 2 games to go in what is undoubtedly the best football league in the world is not enough. However, finishing 5th would represent our best league finish in 12 years. We have no automatc right to qualify for European competitions and the number of times we have actually qualified for Europe through our league position is relatively small. Finishing in the top 6 2 years running is real progress if we look at the situation of the club 3 years ago. In 2006 the team were near the bottom of the league with an unpopular chairman and an even more unpopular manager, there was discontent in the dressing room and on the terraces. If Randy Lerner had not taken over and installed Martin O'Neill as manager, I feel that we would be struggling to achieve 5th place in the Championship (old 2nd division). What Randy Lerner, Martin O'Neill, and the club have achieved in less than years is nothing short of astounding. We have a club at the top echelons of the most competitive in the world, an owner a board of directors who care about the fans and take their opinions into account when taking decisions which affect them, a stadium which has been rennovated in a tasteful manner with respect to our traditions, improved attendances, the rennovation of the Holte pub.

I feel that the vast majority of Villa supporters really appreciate everything that has been done by Randy Lerner and Martin O'Neill to restore our great club to its former glory. We've obviously had a bad run, but this is when supporters should support the club. For those of us who can remember us being in the old 3rd division and relegating to the old 2nd division, our current situation doesn't look to bad at all.

Whenever I hear criticism of Martin O'Neill, I always think back to a game against Manchester United on Boxing Day 1989 when Alex Ferguson was having a bad run, Villa won that day and the majority of the travelling United supporters were calling for the head of Ferguson. However, the club showed patience and look what Ferguson has achieved over the years.

Randy Lerner is the best chairman we could possibly have, and Martin O'Neill is the best manager we could possibly have. Thank you for everything you are doing for our great club, it's truly appreciated.

Keep The Faith

Hello General,

I havent spoke to you in a while so i hope both you and your family are happy.

Now to my point on the season tickets that has already been discussed. I personally renewed my season ticket but as i run another villa website away from Villatalk i get to see what a lot of peoples views are and some are because of the losing streak. No fan likes to see there club lose 1 game let alone have a poor run in the way we have - and im sure once the dust settles in the summer more people will renew than it seems.

Also, i know Villa are still one of the cheapest around however its no secret that this country is in financial difficulty and price's compared to say 10 years ago are ridiculas in football. Thats nothing particulary aimed at our club but its a fact of life. £400 to watch 19 games of football is a lot of money. I was thinking that maybe the club could offer some kind of reward scheme for season ticket holders in future season in cup games. Its no secret that we struggle to fill the ground when we play against lower league sides in the cup competitions so maybe season ticket holders should get free entry to reward them for sticking by the club? Surely those fans spending money on food and drinks and even matchday programmes in the ground is better than not having the fans there at all?

Hello General

Can I echo entirely the sentiments of Eamon Deacy.

Obviously I applaud the fact that the Club listens so readily to the fans, whether they are happy or not.

My biggest concern is that it, as a proportion of the whole, it only takes a small number of boos to be heard, it only takes a few people to call a radio show, and it only takes a few people to be vociferous on an internet site, and all the great stuff happening can get lost.

Such as...

Should we get 5th you, Randy, and MON may enjoy the fact that MON will then be our only Manager since the war to improve our League position 3 seasons running.

You are all doing a brilliant job on and off the field. In nearly 40 years of following this Club I have not enjoyed it as much nor been as proud of it.

Thanks to All

General Krulak here:

1. Stewiek2: I love you sentence that ends "I don't support....I support Aston Villa." I like it because it sends the right signal for this old Marine. It should never be the person...it should always be the Institution. Yes, people make up the institution but they come and go...the Institution is what last. It is the ethos, the tradition, the values, that count at the end of the day. If you get those right, you will be successful...you will be winners. That is why the motto of the Marine Corps is "Semper Fidelis"..Always Faithful...to the Corps.

2. EamonDeacy: Thank you for the very informational post. You shared some statistics that I had not looked at and your vignette about Sir Alec was an eye-opener. Obviously I felt you made some very valid points.

3. avillafan.com: Good to hear from you again...I thought you had broken an arm or something. We are looking into the cup games and what might be offered in the way of incentives.

4. wedge: At this time we are ahead of our planned sales so things are looking good. It would be nice to end the season with wins to keep the momentum.

5. terrytini: Again, stats I was not aware of....thank you.

6. paulanddonya: I heard you. You weren't the only person who experienced the second half.

General,

regarding ticketing schemes, owing to financial issues, I've attended just one game this season, which rather unfortunately was the 2-2 with stoke. I usually only attend 4-5 a year anyway for practical + financial reasons, but even then I was targeting the £10 games. Would you bel able to say now or not if there are to be more games at this price? When I factor in travel costs I can justify it at £10 a ticket. The £33 for the Stoke one definitely stretched it, and I was grateful when my accompanying father reimbursed me! - As I can't in any way count on such generosity every time I attend - I sincerely hope that next season there will be at least a few games at that level ( and not just the early rounds in Europe ;) )

I do understand the comparison to other clubs, but in general I do have more than a slight gripe with sporting costs - when in comparison to other forms of entertainment - ie theatre / concerts which are generally more justifiable given their infrequent nature. If I had to pay £30 to see 20 + of the same U2 concert I would feel a tad ripped off ( though that would rather my fault for seeing U2, but I hope the point is still valid ).

Up the Villa

Hi general,

This is my first post to yourself, firstly I would like to say thanks for all the hard work you and the guys have put in over the past few years! As a loyal villa fan, its appreciated! Its appreciated by us all I hope, even if we do moan a little bit from time to time. (myself included :winkold: )

My question is regarding the new kit. I know the past few have been kept under wraps and had a big reveal and all that jazz but any plans on showing it us early this year?

I dont mean wearing it for the last game or anything like that, maybe just a few press photos like chelsea or newcastle have released? Any info you can give us on potential dates when we will be seeing it? Or any tiny hints on what it may look like? 8)

Cheers Gen, keep up the hard work! UTV!

General Krulak here:

3. avillafan.com: Good to hear from you again...I thought you had broken an arm or something. We are looking into the cup games and what might be offered in the way of incentives.

Lol nope ive just been enjoyed a pretty good season. I fully enjoyed my trip to Hamburg and if its affordable im planning on heading for Malaga for Villa's pre-season tournament.

Another question for you. Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal all have there own television channel on Sky/Virgin here in the UK. Do Villa have any plans to follow suit? Im sure im not the only person who would love something like this.

That's a great idea from Legendary and i'd like to second that, General.

Quickfire question, are you bored of the 2nd annual Favre saga yet? Great player who, at this rate, is going to be remembered for the wrong things.

Carrying on the NFL thread...

As a fan - Brady or Derek for the starting spot? Personally I would like to see Brady get it as that is ultimately what the intention was when they drafted him.

Hope it will be a good 2009 under ManKok, I am very impressed with their progress so far.

Jon

General Krulak here:

1. Rodders: Please call Nicky Keye re. tickets prices for upcoming games...she may be able to shed some light on what may or may not happen. (Don't tell her the U-2 comparison. :) :)!!)

2. Ingram85: First off, welcome to the thread! We are going to have a new kit but I doubt that we will be giving any "previews" of it...we will probably handle the "preview" in somewhat the same manner as last year.

3. Poor Brett...he is a Hall of Famer but is making a wrong move.

4. I cannot comment on Derek or Brady for the same reason I cannot comment on Squad selection at the Villa