Running

trimandson

I have done most of my running on threadmills at the gym, it's more fun to run when you have fit girls working out in front of you all the time..but recently i have started to run outside and the fat is just pouring of me, iam losing weight like hell

When running outside i run at a slower tempo and shorter distances...dosen't make sense.

I would imagine there would be less opportunity for outdoor running in a Scandinavian winter.

Cold is manageable, but it gets effing slippery and I can do without that for a couple of months. God I feel bloated , time to get to work again!!!

I did the Great South run in 2013 after barely 6 weeks training due to competitiveness with a mate who decided to do it earlier in the summer.

I was nearly 32 and about 16 stone & even 2 weeks before I was sometimes struggling after 15mins on the treadmill. After thinking I was going to have to walk half of it I surprised myself getting a half decent time (all things considered) especially as the last couple of miles was against a very strong seafront wind. This should have spurred me on to continue actually getting fit. Doing 10 miles with little training or even any running history probably wasn't a brilliant idea and I've suffered with injuries and niggles as a result and when it comes to fitness I'm worse than before.

Hopefully I've given my body enough rest (as well as being far too lazy), tomorrow is where I start to get back on track. Will need to take it slowly though or I expect my body will give up. Just need to pick some targets once I get a feel of how bad I actually am.

Edited by AlwaysAVFC
  • Like 1

Just went for my 2nd run back from a little while being really lazy.

I have a roughly 5km track around my block and when training to get into the Police and I was fit I was aiming for about 22 minutes.

This time I was aiming for 30 and got 30:36 :/

I'd love to be running in Scandanavia! We've had a week of 40 degree heat here. I only ran today because it had finally cooled down to a managable high 20s.

From running in Majorca I know how much difference the heat can make. I reckon about 10 degrees C is perfect for running and in the UK that's about the average over the year.

• 3 weeks later...

I am still about 7 weeks away from my half marathon in Stafford, and been running 6 miles, then it went up a mile each week. Was supposed to do 8 miles yesterday, but decided to just keep going, ran 12 miles yesterday. Really pleased about this and hopefully I warmed down properly, feel it a little in my knees now but glad I know that I will be able to do the 13 miles.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just moved back to the States from Israel and I am now an indoor runner till it warms up a bit (I ran through the winter when I lived in Czech Republic, but it's currently -19ºC and has been like this all week...NFW). Does anyone know if I need to scale back on distances while I get used to treadmills? I've been running my usual distances of 18-27km or so, but I'm noticing more soreness in my ligaments after a week of running on treadmills than I ever did before I came back.

Treadmills?!

Completely different style of running and I wouldn't be surprised to pick up all sorts of injuries from running distances on them.

Can you get some thick gloves, hat, warm gear, etc and run outside? 

Or maybe find an indoor running track somewhere?

I tried a week or two back to do some distance on a treadmill, it was very boring and in the end after 3 miles I said sod it and stopped. Doing between 10 and 13 miles three times a week. Quite happy with my pace too, it was 11 minute miles, depending on my mood its now 9 and a half to 10 minutes.

Â